Old January 18th 08, 10:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Last unpainted D Stock (last "silver" Underground train)

In article ,
() wrote:

On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 18:26 +0000 (GMT Standard Time),
(Colin Rosenstiel) wrote:

In article

,
() wrote:

The last unrefurbished D Stock train is scheduled to operate on
the District Line on 21st February 2007. This will bring to an end
the era of unpainted aluminium UndergrounD trains which first
began in 1949

Shame! In fact the first unpainted train entered service in 1952. The
original trial was of just one R49 car. I don't think that was as

early
as 1949 either. The R stock is another case of the years in the stock
codes representing more aspiration than fact. The programme to switch
all R stock trains to silver (mostly painted) wasn't completed until
1965.

How long did some carry a red strip down the sides, ending in a type
of whisker pattern on the ends ?
I can remember as a youngster of 6 being exited when a Silver train
approached as they seemed so different.I remember asking Dad why
there weren't any silver buses.

For the 8-car R49 train from entry into service (apart from the whisker
which seems to have been an early mod) until about 1965. The R59 stock
all entered service with red bands.

There was a silver bus, by the way, just the one RM.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Old January 20th 08, 02:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On Jan 20, 2:59*pm, wrote:
On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 23:37 +0000 (GMT Standard Time),

(Colin Rosenstiel) wrote:
In article ,
() wrote:

I can remember as a youngster of 6 being exited when a Silver train
approached as they seemed so different.I remember asking Dad why
there weren't any silver buses.

There was a silver bus, by the way, just the one RM.

Ta for the reply. A little trawl of the WWW brought up references to a
RM 664 apparently called the Silver Lady so I take it that was the
one. There does not seem to be too much about it online though I found
picture of a model that showed how it looked.
Apparently from another link it was difficult to see in Fog so I take
it was a trial for the livery.
Adoption of it would have made London Streets look quite different.
and would there be Red,White and Blue buses now I wonder.

G.Harman

Hmm. Was there significantly less fog by 1977? I suppose there may
have been with various Acts.

I've noticed that one of the Routemasters that they are still using
for touristy reasons has been done up in the 1977 Silver Jubilee
version. I wonder if the conductors are giving windy machine tickets
with advertising on the back?
Old January 20th 08, 08:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article
,
(MIG) wrote:

On Jan 20, 2:59*pm, wrote:
On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 23:37 +0000 (GMT Standard Time),

(Colin Rosenstiel) wrote:
In article ,
() wrote:

I can remember as a youngster of 6 being exited when a Silver

train
approached as they seemed so different.I remember asking Dad why
there weren't any silver buses.

There was a silver bus, by the way, just the one RM.

Ta for the reply. A little trawl of the WWW brought up references to

RM 664 apparently called the Silver Lady so I take it that was the
one. There does not seem to be too much about it online though I

found
picture of a model that showed how it looked.
Apparently from another link it was difficult to see in Fog so I take
it was a trial for the livery.
Adoption of it would have made London Streets look quite different.
and would there be Red,White and Blue buses now I wonder.

RM664 it was indeed. I couldn't be bother to dig out my bus book to check
the other night.

Hmm. Was there significantly less fog by 1977? I suppose there may
have been with various Acts.

Long before, IME. I don;t remember a really bad pea souper in London
after 1959.

I've noticed that one of the Routemasters that they are still using
for touristy reasons has been done up in the 1977 Silver Jubilee
version. I wonder if the conductors are giving windy machine tickets
with advertising on the back?

There were 25 silver painted RMs for the Silver Jubilee in 1977. They
were painted silver, however. RM664 was unpainted aluminium. The problem
was that bus washing plant wasn't as effective as train washing plant in
keeping it clean.

--
Colin Rosenstiel