Old January 17th 08, 02:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Emergency Landing at Heathrow

On 17 Jan, 15:49, Boltar wrote:
On 17 Jan, 15:02, Neill wrote:

BBC coverage is now describing it as a "crash" rather than "emergency"
landing. It would appear that whatever happened occured very late in
the approach. The other point being made is that the distruption to
Heathrow could last for some days if they cannot start using the
runway for takeoffs. The aircraft could also be difficult to remove as
the undercarriage has sheared off.

Since it came down short of the runway and it seems there was no
emergency declared from the aircraft beforehand I wouldn't be
surprised if he got hit by sudden windshear. If that is the case they
were bloody lucky they made it down in one piece.

B2003

A BBC reporter has apparently spoken to an airport ground worker who
in turn said he spoke to the captain just after the crash landing -
the captain apparently said that he suddenly lost all power and
avionics shortly before he was due to land, and so was merely gliding
in to land.

Of course all will become clear eventually.

Old January 17th 08, 06:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
, at
06:36:26 on Thu, 17 Jan 2008, Mizter T remarked:
BBC reporting 136 passengers were on board

That's not very many for a 777.
Old January 17th 08, 07:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
, at
07:32:44 on Thu, 17 Jan 2008, Mizter T remarked:
That said all BA short haul flights from Heathrow have been cancelled,

oops, I have a colleague who was due to fly into LHR on a BA short-haul
this evening (to connect to a long haul). I guess he's cooling his heels
somewhere now
Old January 17th 08, 07:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Jan 17, 7:58 pm, Roland Perry wrote:
In message
, at
06:36:26 on Thu, 17 Jan 2008, Mizter T remarked:

BBC reporting 136 passengers were on board

That's not very many for a 777.

Carbon footprint etc. etc.

There's a perfectly good train service from central Beijing to central
London that they could use, change at Moscow, Berlin and Brussels.
Old January 17th 08, 09:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 17 Jan, 20:36, Paul Weaver wrote:
BBC reporting 136 passengers were on board

That's not very many for a 777.

Carbon footprint etc. etc.

There's a perfectly good train service from central Beijing to central
London that they could use, change at Moscow, Berlin and Brussels.

My cousin's getting home from China that way next month - will have to
grill him on how it goes...

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org

Old January 17th 08, 09:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"John Rowland" typed

Mizter T wrote:

I note that one eyewitness quoted in the BBC story was a "John
Rowland", who sounds like he's a cabbie (though this isn't totally
clear)...

It wasn't me.

Can't have been, seeing the timestamp of your posting about living @
Hatton Cross...

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old January 17th 08, 09:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , John Rowland
writes
Mizter T wrote:

I note that one eyewitness quoted in the BBC story was a "John
Rowland", who sounds like he's a cabbie (though this isn't totally
clear)...

It wasn't me.

I heard the name first and turned quickly to look at the screen as he
was giving a very clear and geographically accurate account, so I did
think it might be "our" John.

I was pretty sure it wasn't when I saw him, although I've only met John
once (quite some years ago now, in the George In Southwark).
--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK

http://www.bluebadge.demon.co.uk
Old January 17th 08, 09:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

T.:
I note that one eyewitness quoted in the BBC story was a "John
Rowland", who sounds like he's a cabbie (though this isn't totally
clear)...

John Rowland:
It wasn't me.

Well, here's what he had to say according to

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/ma...athrow-617.xml

| Taxi driver John Rowland, who was driving along the perimeter road, said:
| "It just missed the roof of my cab. It crashed into the ground, debris was
| flying everywhere, there was an enormous bang and it skidded sideways."

Whee-ew.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "This is a film of non-stop action
Old January 17th 08, 11:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Ian Jelf typed

In message , John Rowland
writes
Mizter T wrote:

I note that one eyewitness quoted in the BBC story was a "John
Rowland", who sounds like he's a cabbie (though this isn't totally
clear)...

It wasn't me.

I heard the name first and turned quickly to look at the screen as he
was giving a very clear and geographically accurate account, so I did
think it might be "our" John.

I was pretty sure it wasn't when I saw him, although I've only met John
once (quite some years ago now, in the George In Southwark).

He sounded wrong (I don't have a TV).

I have met 'our' JR on more occasions than I've met you ;-)

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old January 18th 08, 12:27 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
Ian Jelf typed

In message , John Rowland
writes
Mizter T wrote:

I note that one eyewitness quoted in the BBC story was a "John
Rowland", who sounds like he's a cabbie (though this isn't totally
clear)...

It wasn't me.

I heard the name first and turned quickly to look at the screen as he
was giving a very clear and geographically accurate account, so I did
think it might be "our" John.

I was pretty sure it wasn't when I saw him, although I've only met
John once (quite some years ago now, in the George In Southwark).

He sounded wrong.

So do I.