Old July 7th 05, 11:16 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport.buses

Default Bus Use in London Emergency

The use of ordinary service buses to transport the injured in London
this morning appears to have been a widespread and planned-for action.

Is there any precedent for this, I wonder?
--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK

http://www.bluebadge.demon.co.uk

Old July 7th 05, 11:54 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport.buses

"Ian Jelf" wrote in message
The use of ordinary service buses to transport the injured in London this
morning appears to have been a widespread and planned-for action.

Is there any precedent for this, I wonder?
--

Part of the duties of Centrecomm, the Transport for London bus Control
Centre, involve coordinating bus operations and liaison with the emergency

Simon

Old July 7th 05, 12:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport.buses

Ian Jelf wrote:
The use of ordinary service buses to transport the injured in London
this morning appears to have been a widespread and planned-for action.

I have to say, I hope they weren't used to transport the survivors of
the bus bomb.

How traumatic to be packed on to ANOTHER bus after that.

Old July 7th 05, 12:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport.buses

wrote in message
oups.com...
Ian Jelf wrote:
The use of ordinary service buses to transport the injured in London
this morning appears to have been a widespread and planned-for action.

I have to say, I hope they weren't used to transport the survivors of
the bus bomb.

How traumatic to be packed on to ANOTHER bus after that.

Unfortunately, its hard to observe such niceties at times like these. With
the Ambulance Service at full stretch, it is necessary to use any
alternative transport for walking wounded (so that emergency vehicles can be
concentrated on stretcher patients needing advanced life support). The LAS
will be utilising as many PTS (outpatient) vehicles where they can. But
buses are ideal and already in the areas affected so time can be saved.

The buses may also have been moving people who are uninjured and not
directly involved: ie those caught up in the disruption.

In situations such as this, pragmatism has to win out over sentimentality
I'm afraid.

Simon

Old July 7th 05, 12:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport.buses

the new avenger wrote:
"Ian Jelf" wrote in message

The use of ordinary service buses to transport the injured in London this
morning appears to have been a widespread and planned-for action.

Is there any precedent for this, I wonder?
--

Part of the duties of Centrecomm, the Transport for London bus Control
Centre, involve coordinating bus operations and liaison with the emergency
services and local authorities in any major incident in the Capital. There
are very comprehensive emergency procedures under which service buses can be
commandeered for removal of casualties and for the transport of persons
involved in the aftermath. Centrecomm is at the heart of these activities.

Simon

I was a bit surprised to hear that 'walking wounded' from Kings X were
transported to an hospital near Liverpool Street that was already
dealing with serious wounded from Aldgate East and Liverpool Street
stations. My first thought was to move minor injured persons form Kings
X by mainline trains to places like Luton or Watford, taking off
pressure from the London hospitals.

hgrm

Old July 7th 05, 12:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport.buses

"Han Monsees" wrote in message
.. .
I was a bit surprised to hear that 'walking wounded' from Kings X were

transported to an hospital near Liverpool Street that was already dealing
with serious wounded from Aldgate East and Liverpool Street stations. My
first thought was to move minor injured persons form Kings X by mainline
trains to places like Luton or Watford, taking off pressure from the
London hospitals.

It depends how the casualties got there. The ambulance service follows a
laid down incident plan - casualties arriving on foot or by other means
could turn up anywhere (and at any time...delayed shock means some can
wander for hours).

Trains would not normally be considered for use in this way for a variety of
logistical reasons.

Speaking as someone who works in the Ambulance Service I would caution
against people on the 'outside looking in' as it were speculating on what
should or shouldn't be happening - there really are a number of factors that
come into play in these situations.

Simon

Old July 7th 05, 01:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport.buses

"the new avenger" wrote in message

"Ian Jelf" wrote in message
The use of ordinary service buses to transport the injured in London this
morning appears to have been a widespread and planned-for action.

Is there any precedent for this, I wonder?
--

Part of the duties of Centrecomm, the Transport for London bus Control
Centre, involve coordinating bus operations and liaison with the emergency
services and local authorities in any major incident in the Capital. There
are very comprehensive emergency procedures under which service buses can
be commandeered for removal of casualties and for the transport of persons
involved in the aftermath. Centrecomm is at the heart of these activities.

Simon

In fact across the country many local government emergency plans include
powers to commandeer public buses to provide transport to safe areas in
emergency situations.

Andrew

Old July 7th 05, 01:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport.buses

"the new avenger" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
Ian Jelf wrote:
[...]

Phone network grind to a halt to...

http://www.systemtek.co.uk/News/Other/other_070705.htm

all all the rest..tereble

Old July 7th 05, 01:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport.buses

In message , Han Monsees
writes

I was a bit surprised to hear that 'walking wounded' from Kings X were
transported to an hospital near Liverpool Street that was already
dealing with serious wounded from Aldgate East and Liverpool Street
stations. My first thought was to move minor injured persons form Kings
X by mainline trains to places like Luton or Watford, taking off
pressure from the London hospitals.

On the lunchtime news, a senior doctor from the Royal London (who are
believed to haven taken the bulk of the casualties) said they had ample
capacity and didn't even have to call extra staff in, although some did
volunteer.

--
Paul Terry
Old July 7th 05, 02:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport.buses

In message , the new
avenger writes
Part of the duties of Centrecomm, the Transport for London bus Control
Centre, involve coordinating bus operations and liaison with the emergency
services and local authorities in any major incident in the Capital. There
are very comprehensive emergency procedures under which service buses can be
commandeered for removal of casualties and for the transport of persons
involved in the aftermath. Centrecomm is at the heart of these activities.

That's good, sensible and reassuring to hear. I've just never heard of
it actually being *done* before. Has it been?

And - of course - best wishes to all those involved, both the casualties
and those who swung into action to help them.