Old January 20th 08, 10:04 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default North London Line AC/DC question

On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 10:51:24 GMT, wrote:

"Paul Corfield" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 00:09:28 GMT, wrote:

Why are they closing the Vic from 22.00 until 4 November, so that they can
test, tincker with and troubleshoot the 09 series trains?

BTW, when and where will it be possible to see one of those trains?

I have seen train one parked in the depot. It was sheer luck but I went
past on a 192 bus (starts from Tottenham Hale). It goes up Watermead Way
which rises above the Cambridge line and gives a good view of
Northumberland Park depot. If you opt to try this sit at the back of
the bus as you're higher up (it's only a little single deck).

IIRC there is also a footbridge from Watermead Way across the LU / NR
tracks but I think it is all caged so any view would be very restricted
or maybe even non existent. I've not used it myself.

I doubt very much, at this stage, that the public will be able to see
the V stock in test mode as it's all done under possession with no
public access. The latest LU intranet news about the Vic line early
closing said train 2 was due March / April time and it would enter
passenger service alongside 67 stock late 2008.

Two questions:

-- Are the closures indeed to test the new rolling stock or their
prototypes?

AIUI it is a combination of track replacement along the line,
installation of cabling and signal equipment and testing.

-- Why is it called V stock? I thought it was 09 stock.

Sorry but that's the "internal" term I keep hearing. Officially it may
well be 2009 stock but I've never heard that term until now.
--
Paul C

Old January 20th 08, 10:36 AM posted to uk.transport.london, uk.railway

On 20 Jan, 10:02, Paul Corfield wrote:
New trains are fitted with current system to allow migration of stock.

My understanding is the two signalling systems will run in parallel,
with the current system instructing the new one what to do. Each train
type will only have one system on board. Once all the old trains are
gone the new system will take over completely.

http://londonconnections.blogspot.com/
A blog about transport projects in London
Old January 20th 08, 03:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Sun, 20 Jan 2008, Mr Thant wrote:

On 20 Jan, 10:02, Paul Corfield wrote:

New trains are fitted with current system to allow migration of stock.

My understanding is the two signalling systems will run in parallel,
with the current system instructing the new one what to do.

Do you mean that the new communication system will be carrying messages
from the old control computer to the new trains? Kind of like attaching a
scan of a postcard to an email? Will the new on-train computers thus be
running an emulation of the old system's logic, or will there be a
translation step on the track side that changes "420 ppm" to "you have an
infinite clear distance ahead of you"?

I appreciate that you may not be privy to such fine details!

Incidentally, this is a great explanation of the current Vic signalling
system:

http://www.trainweb.org/tubeprune/Vi...Line%20ATO.htm

And if you've never heard of a mercury retarder, this is worth a read too:

http://www.railway-technical.com/ep-brakes.shtml

tom

--
As Emiliano Zapata supposedly said, "Better to die on your feet than
live on your knees." And years after he died, Marlon Brando played him
Old January 20th 08, 05:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london, uk.railway

On Jan 20, 3:04 am, Paul Corfield wrote:

-- Why is it called V stock? I thought it was 09 stock.

Sorry but that's the "internal" term I keep hearing. Officially it may
well be 2009 stock but I've never heard that term until now.

I beleive 2009 stock is the term used in the weekly TC and/or EWSA -
especially the latter as the test trains appear as Engineers Trains. I
don't recall reading V stock anywhere - but I'm zero to do with BCV or
SSL.

--
Nick

Old January 20th 08, 06:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 10:05:51 -0800 (PST), D7666
wrote:

On Jan 20, 3:04 am, Paul Corfield wrote:

-- Why is it called V stock? I thought it was 09 stock.

Sorry but that's the "internal" term I keep hearing. Officially it may
well be 2009 stock but I've never heard that term until now.

I beleive 2009 stock is the term used in the weekly TC and/or EWSA -
especially the latter as the test trains appear as Engineers Trains. I
don't recall reading V stock anywhere - but I'm zero to do with BCV or
SSL.

Well I'm not involved in the BCV or SSL contracts either. I don't have
need to read the TC or EWSA so haven't seen the reference there but, of
course, a year based code is in line with all previous practice.
--
Paul C

Old January 20th 08, 06:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 09:09:52 +0000, Paul Corfield
wrote:

On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 00:09:28 GMT, wrote:

BTW, when and where will it be possible to see one of those trains?

I have seen train one parked in the depot. It was sheer luck but I went
past on a 192 bus (starts from Tottenham Hale). It goes up Watermead Way
which rises above the Cambridge line and gives a good view of
Northumberland Park depot. If you opt to try this sit at the back of
the bus as you're higher up (it's only a little single deck).

IIRC there is also a footbridge from Watermead Way across the LU / NR
tracks but I think it is all caged so any view would be very restricted
or maybe even non existent. I've not used it myself.

The new train normally lives on 39 road, which can also be seen from
the Lee Valley Line (best if you're on the right hand side of the
train heading north and nothing goes past in the opposite direction).
Old January 20th 08, 08:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london, uk.railway

On 20 Jan, 16:31, Tom Anderson wrote:
Do you mean that the new communication system will be carrying messages
from the old control computer to the new trains? Kind of like attaching a
scan of a postcard to an email? Will the new on-train computers thus be
running an emulation of the old system's logic, or will there be a
translation step on the track side that changes "420 ppm" to "you have any
infinite clear distance ahead of you"?

I appreciate that you may not be privy to such fine details!

The only thing I’’'m privy to is this here Metronet newsletter:
http://www.metronetrail.com/webfiles...Issue_8_sm.pdf

"The new system will then run in tandem with the old until the old
trains are finally phased out. To achieve this, the new equipment
rooms will take information from the old and convert it into a safety-
critical radio message to be transmitted to the new trains."

"The new trains will initially work with new automatic train control
equipment in conjunction with the existing signalling system whilst
the existing trains will continue to operate with the existing
automatic control system. "

It sounds more like your latter scenario.

Old January 21st 08, 04:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

[...]

It certainly does. Cheers for the quote.

tom

--
Taking care of business