London Banter

-   -   National Rail and Zones 7-9 (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/6132-national-rail-zones-7-9-a.html)

Matthew Dickinson January 23rd 08 04:00 PM

National Rail and Zones 7-9

I note that National Rail do not recognise the existence of Zones 7 to
9.

http://www.atoc.org/retail/_download...8_Common_K.pdf

"National Rail do not issue tickets with a description of Zones 7,8,9
but use the actual station description"

Also "All Zones" means Zones 1-6 as far as National Rail are
concerned.

Mizter T January 23rd 08 04:55 PM

National Rail and Zones 7-9

On 23 Jan, 17:00, Matthew Dickinson
wrote:
I note that National Rail do not recognise the existence of Zones 7 to
9.

http://www.atoc.org/retail/_download...8_Common_K.pdf

"National Rail do not issue tickets with a description of Zones 7,8,9
but use the actual station description"

Also "All Zones" means Zones 1-6 as far as National Rail are
concerned.

I've been intending to post on this subject for a while - as you say,
an "All Zones Travelcard" as sold by National Rail doesn't quite have
the same definitive meaning it once did - in other words...

Q: When is "All Zones Travelcard" not valid in all the zones?
A: When it is sold by National Rail.

I think TfL are to be applauded for bringing the Watford - Euston DC
lines, at least as far as Watford High Street, into the zonal system,
and adjusting the zoning for the portion of the nearby Metropolitan
line that is also outside Greater London (the stations that used to be
zones A - D).

However the zones 7-9 solution are a kind of TfL only zones, in the
same manner as the old zones A - D on the Metropolitan line.

What would be good would be if National Rail systems were updated so
that they too could issue Travelcards that include zones 7-9. In a
sense they can, as they use the actual station description - but I'm
unclear whether such Travelcards that include actual stations as the
origin (or destination - but I think only origin is possible) can be
used for unlimited travel as opposed to just being valid for a
straight return journey.

Perhaps this is TfL's fault for moving too fast, or possibly ATOCs
fault for being too stuck in the mud. Nevertheless it presents an
opportunity for maximum confusion.

Incidentally last year's now obsolete Tube map with the old zones A -
D, but with the London Overground network (including the Watford -
Euston DC lines), is still available here on the TfL website:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/images/...d-tube-map.gif

Compare and contrast to the current Tube map:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...d-Tube-map.gif

One question - has anyone bought a Railcard discounted Day Travelcard
from an LU ticket office yet this year - and if so, does it include
zones 7-9 as a 'free' extra? (i.e. Is the situation similar to how
zones A-D used to be included for 'free'.)

James Farrar January 23rd 08 06:34 PM

National Rail and Zones 7-9

On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 09:55:17 -0800 (PST), Mizter T
wrote:

Perhaps this is TfL's fault for moving too fast, or possibly ATOCs
fault for being too stuck in the mud.

Probably the latter, going off past experiences (admittedly a few
years ago now). The train companies in general have always seemed
reluctant to implement any initiative that comes from London.

Neil Williams January 23rd 08 07:36 PM

National Rail and Zones 7-9

On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 19:34:24 +0000, James Farrar
wrote:

Probably the latter, going off past experiences (admittedly a few
years ago now). The train companies in general have always seemed
reluctant to implement any initiative that comes from London.

Because those initiatives benefit London, and not always other
passengers.

As an example, since Oyster PAYG became valid on London Midland
"mainline", the 1824 EUS-Northampton has become decidedly busier than
it was before. Presumably the PAYG users were previously using the
Bakerloo to Harrow and Wealdstone.

Neil

--
Neil Williams

Paul Scott January 23rd 08 08:11 PM

National Rail and Zones 7-9

wrote:

Probably the latter, going off past experiences (admittedly a few
years ago now). The train companies in general have always seemed
reluctant to implement any initiative that comes from London.

Because those initiatives benefit London, and not always other
passengers.

As an example, since Oyster PAYG became valid on London Midland
"mainline", the 1824 EUS-Northampton has become decidedly busier than
it was before. Presumably the PAYG users were previously using the
Bakerloo to Harrow and Wealdstone.

Also, much as it might seem straightforward to have a London centred zonal
system spreading ever outwards, there will have to be a limit somewhere -
and it might as well be the Greater London boundary as anywhere.

Paul

Mizter T January 23rd 08 08:21 PM

National Rail and Zones 7-9

wrote:
Probably the latter, going off past experiences (admittedly a few
years ago now). The train companies in general have always seemed
reluctant to implement any initiative that comes from London.

Because those initiatives benefit London, and not always other
passengers.

As an example, since Oyster PAYG became valid on London Midland
"mainline", the 1824 EUS-Northampton has become decidedly busier than
it was before. Presumably the PAYG users were previously using the
Bakerloo to Harrow and Wealdstone.

Neil

But Oyster PAYG has been valid on Silverlink County/London Midland
trains between Euston and Harrow & Wealdstone for ages, indeed (I
think) since Oyster PAYG began back in 2004.

Perhaps more people have gradually become aware that they can use it,
but I certainly don't see the cause and effect relationship that you
are trying to put forward.

Anyway, my perhaps rather blunt opinion on this is that I certainly
don't begrudge the people of Harrow from wanting to get from central
London in 13 minutes non-stop instead of 40 minutes (from Oxford
Circus) all stations on the Bakerloo line.

Andy January 23rd 08 08:27 PM

National Rail and Zones 7-9

wrote:
Probably the latter, going off past experiences (admittedly a few
years ago now). The train companies in general have always seemed
reluctant to implement any initiative that comes from London.

Because those initiatives benefit London, and not always other
passengers.

As an example, since Oyster PAYG became valid on London Midland
"mainline", the 1824 EUS-Northampton has become decidedly busier than
it was before. *Presumably the PAYG users were previously using the
Bakerloo to Harrow and Wealdstone.

Neil

Maybe, but Oyster PAYG has been valid on Euston - Harrow & Wealdstone
since it was introduced, both fast trains and the DC trains. This was
because the DC lines and the Bakerloo had both National Rail and LUL
fares available from inception (more or less) and there has been no
distinction between the fast and slow trains in recent times. This is
the reason for the Oyster readers on Platforms 16-18 at Euston, which
were introduced in Silverlink times. Harrow & Wealdstone also had the
Oyster readers on the footbridge, but none on the fast platforms
themselves.

The recent change has been the extension of PAYG to Bushey (from the
start of the London Overground concession) and Watford Junction
(shortly after the franchise changes). I don't see that PAYG has made
services any busier, more likely that the services are becoming busier
anyway, maybe due to timetable changes. Did the 18.24 always stop at
Harrow?

[email protected] January 23rd 08 09:11 PM

National Rail and Zones 7-9

On Jan 23, 5:00*pm, Matthew Dickinson
wrote:
I note that National Rail do not recognise the existence of Zones 7 to
9.

http://www.atoc.org/retail/_download...8_Common_K.pdf

"National Rail do not issue tickets with a description of Zones 7,8,9
but use the actual station description"

Also "All Zones" means Zones 1-6 as far as National Rail are
concerned.

National Rail don't issue an 'all zones travelcard'. The ones I've
bought have always said (I think, from memory) 'R1256' as the
destination

Neil Williams January 23rd 08 09:46 PM

National Rail and Zones 7-9

On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 13:21:43 -0800 (PST), Mizter T
wrote:

But Oyster PAYG has been valid on Silverlink County/London Midland
trains between Euston and Harrow & Wealdstone for ages, indeed (I
think) since Oyster PAYG began back in 2004.

You absolutely sure of that? Even if it was, though, it was not
publicised as such.

Anyway, my perhaps rather blunt opinion on this is that I certainly
don't begrudge the people of Harrow from wanting to get from central
London in 13 minutes non-stop instead of 40 minutes (from Oxford
Circus) all stations on the Bakerloo line.

Nor do I, but perhaps differential pricing could have kept locals on
the local services as much as possible. It works from Milton Keynes
Central off-peak.

Neil

--
Neil Williams

Neil Williams January 23rd 08 09:47 PM

National Rail and Zones 7-9

On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 13:27:31 -0800 (PST), Andy
wrote:

The recent change has been the extension of PAYG to Bushey (from the
start of the London Overground concession) and Watford Junction
(shortly after the franchise changes). I don't see that PAYG has made
services any busier, more likely that the services are becoming busier
anyway, maybe due to timetable changes. Did the 18.24 always stop at
Harrow?

Yes; there have been no significant changes to the ex-Silverlink
mainline timetable this time round, or indeed last time.

Neil

--
Neil Williams

Andy January 23rd 08 10:43 PM

National Rail and Zones 7-9

wrote:
But Oyster PAYG has been valid on Silverlink County/London Midland
trains between Euston and Harrow & Wealdstone for ages, indeed (I
think) since Oyster PAYG began back in 2004.

You absolutely sure of that? *Even if it was, though, it was not
publicised as such.

The Euston to Harrow route has always been on the list of National
Rail services where PAYG was valid. There was no distinct between fast
and slow trains.

See http://web.archive.org/web/200406062...om/buy_1_4.php

This is the earliest oyster PAYG National Rail list that I can find in
the web archive.

Mizter T January 23rd 08 10:51 PM

National Rail and Zones 7-9

wrote:
But Oyster PAYG has been valid on Silverlink County/London Midland
trains between Euston and Harrow & Wealdstone for ages, indeed (I
think) since Oyster PAYG began back in 2004.

You absolutely sure of that? Even if it was, though, it was not
publicised as such.

Yes. I cannot be a 100% certain that Oyster PAYG was valid from H&W on
the fast trains when the system went live on 05/01/04, because I
wasn't paying attention to such things back then, however I'd be
absolutely amazed to hear that it wasn't. It was certainly valid on
the Bakerloo and DC line trains from H&W.

Also, take a look at this post from a thread in November 2005, where I
specifically mention having just made a H&W to Euston journey using
Oyster PrePay (i.e. PAYG):
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk....90cb54391444cf

OK, so I don't specifically mention that I travelled on the fast
Silverlink County train, but I did - I remember it distinctly because
I cautiously asked at two ticket offices (either side of the station)
if it was legit, got the OK (twice) then spent some time searching for
an Oyster reader - they were only located on the bridge serving the DC
line platforms. At the end of my journey the train came into either
platform 16, 17 or 18 at Euston, and I then had to search to find
another Oyster reader there (there was only one back then, next to a
pillar).

Which I guess does somewhat prove your point that it wasn't at all
well publicised! Back then the station was managed by Silverlink, who
I guess would not have wanted to go out of their way to tell people
about this, whereas now it is managed by London Underground (as a
result of it being a London Overground station) - and LU will be a lot
more forward in providing such information. Also, given the extension
of Oyster PAYG up to Watford, I imagine there would have been some
quite clear posters provided detailing PAYG validity.

Plus H&W is now a gated station, which may have prompted passengers to
think about/ ask about / notice posters about the validity of Oyster
PAYG on fast trains.

All in all it looks like I've just gone some way to constructing your
argument for you. So perhaps you have a point. However I'm still
somewhat sceptical of this idea that a significant number of
passengers have transferred from the Bakerloo - I'd think that if
going to Euston was more convenient for them, that's the way they'd
already be going, Oyster or no Oyster.

Anyway, my perhaps rather blunt opinion on this is that I certainly
don't begrudge the people of Harrow from wanting to get from central
London in 13 minutes non-stop instead of 40 minutes (from Oxford
Circus) all stations on the Bakerloo line.

Nor do I, but perhaps differential pricing could have kept locals on
the local services as much as possible. It works from Milton Keynes
Central off-peak.

I know you don't mean it like that, but 'keeping locals on local
services as much as possible' does seem to carry an undertone that
locals should know their place (or perhaps it's just a Royston
Vaseyesque undertone of "local shops for local people"... er, I'm
getting sidetracked here...).

I tend towards the opinion that fast trains from central London can
and should do a bit of stopping in outer London ("why should Watford
get a fast service and Harrow shouldn't" etc).

Regarding differential pricing, apart from the difficulty of actually
enforcing it (see the saga of London Midland not accepting Oyster PAYG
from Watford, before giving in after a week), I'm far from convinced
that it's such a great idea for shorter journeys such as this. Plus,
is it even really a problem - from what I hear, these peak trains are
pretty civilised, unlike what happens elsewhere, so is a mild bit of
crowding for a short period really an issue?

Anyway, the hoi polloi will only be on the train for quarter of an
hour, and if I was one of them I'm pretty sure I'd just stand in the
vestibule rather than faff around getting a seat.

Mizter T January 23rd 08 11:03 PM

National Rail and Zones 7-9

wrote:

I note that National Rail do not recognise the existence of Zones 7 to
9.

http://www.atoc.org/retail/_download...8_Common_K.pdf

"National Rail do not issue tickets with a description of Zones 7,8,9
but use the actual station description"

Also "All Zones" means Zones 1-6 as far as National Rail are
concerned.

National Rail don't issue an 'all zones travelcard'. The ones I've
bought have always said (I think, from memory) 'R1256' as the
destination

Yes, that's what is printed on the ticket, but that doesn't mean that
"All Zones Travelcard" is a term that isn't used.

There are 18 instances of the term "All Zones Travelcard" being used
in section K of the National Fares Manual - the link to that document
was provided by the OP.

It has also commonly been used in publicity and literature concerning
the Travelcard. Any ticket office clerk will know exactly what you
want if you ask for an All Zones Travelcard (or at least until 2008
they would!), and National Rail ticket machines sell All Zones
Travelcards as well (certainly the Southeastern ones do, I'll keep my
eyes open for the rest).

It is a commonly used and understood term and clearly used to mean a
zones 1-6 Travelcard - the problem now, with the introduction of zones
7-9, is that the term has now lost its clear cut meaning. Confusion
beckons.

Chris Tolley January 24th 08 07:58 AM

National Rail and Zones 7-9

Paul Scott wrote:

much as it might seem straightforward to have a London centred zonal
system spreading ever outwards, there will have to be a limit somewhere -
and it might as well be the Greater London boundary as anywhere.

Actually ... I rather like the idea of the zones spreading ever
outwards. With Zone 43 including the great arc of Wrexham, Chester,
Warrington, Manchester, Huddersfield, Leeds and Hull, it looks like a
one-zone ticket will be quite good value, though knowing the way that
such boundaries are set, I expect a Chester to Manchester via Knutsford
ticket would have to be a 2-zoner. ;-)
--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p9632915.html
(40 024 at Reading, 17 Jan 1981)

Paul Weaver January 24th 08 09:43 AM

National Rail and Zones 7-9

wrote:
Probably the latter, going off past experiences (admittedly a few
years ago now). The train companies in general have always seemed
reluctant to implement any initiative that comes from London.

Because those initiatives benefit London, and not always other
passengers.

As an example, since Oyster PAYG became valid on London Midland
"mainline", the 1824 EUS-Northampton has become decidedly busier than
it was before. Presumably the PAYG users were previously using the
Bakerloo to Harrow and Wealdstone.

I was shocked at how busy the ~19:00 to Bletchley was, hardly anyone
got off at Harrow where I boarded (19:16), but I could barely fit in.
I've never had to stand on a train on that line before

[email protected][_2_] January 24th 08 10:01 AM

National Rail and Zones 7-9

wrote:
Probably the latter, going off past experiences (admittedly a few
years ago now). The train companies in general have always seemed
reluctant to implement any initiative that comes from London.

Because those initiatives benefit London, and not always other
passengers.

As an example, since Oyster PAYG became valid on London Midland
"mainline", the 1824 EUS-Northampton has become decidedly busier than
it was before. Presumably the PAYG users were previously using the
Bakerloo to Harrow and Wealdstone.

I don't understand why there would be any change. Oyster's always been
valid to H&W on all trains.

And since PAYG has been valid all the way to Watford Junction, it's
been much much cheaper[1] to travel after 7pm. So I'd have expected
the 19:04 to be the train that saw a dramatic increase in traffic if
any did.

Provided you make at least one of your journeys in the 7pm-7am window
it's cheaper to use PAYG rather than an annual gold card from Watford
Junction

WJ-Euston 2268 which is 8.70 per business day. PAYG is 8.50 per
day[1]. Once you allow for at least 28 days holiday it's 9.70 per day
by goldcard.

WJ-Zone1 2604. 10GBP/business day. PAYG is 9.00. Allowing for
holidays, goldcard is 11.20.

[1] Assuming one journey in the 7am-7pm and one in the 7pm-7am
periods.

Tim.

[email protected][_2_] January 24th 08 10:16 AM

National Rail and Zones 7-9

On Jan 24, 10:43 am, Paul Weaver wrote:

I was shocked at how busy the ~19:00 to Bletchley was, hardly anyone
got off at Harrow where I boarded (19:16), but I could barely fit in.
I've never had to stand on a train on that line before

I'd think that was the 19:04 which is the first cheap train by PAYG.
IIRC the 18:54 first stop is Watford Junction.

I been deliberately avoiding the 19:04 because I guessed it would be
packed.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a timetable alteration that moves this
train earlier by 4 (or 5) minutes.

(Of course, moving all the trains later by 10 minutes would also help
because then there would be a 19:04 and a 19:14)

However, you've been lucky if you've never had to stand. Those trains
are always busy. It's quieter from about the 19:54 through to about
21:54 then it starts getting busy again.

Tim.

Yorkie January 24th 08 10:34 AM

National Rail and Zones 7-9

On Jan 23, 5:55*pm, Mizter T wrote:
What would be good would be if National Rail systems were updated so
that they too could issue Travelcards that include zones 7-9. In a
sense they can, as they use the actual station description - but I'm
unclear whether such Travelcards that include actual stations as the
origin (or destination - but I think only origin is possible) can be
used for unlimited travel as opposed to just being valid for a
straight return journey.

In the days of Zones A-D, I was told that asking for an All Zones
travelcard issued *from* Amersham to Zones 1-6, would count as the NR
equivalent to All Zones + A-D, and this was the same price with a
railcard (GBP4.80) as a regular 'All Zones'.

We had no problems purchasing the tickets (at East Croydon). A friend
put this ticket through the barriers at Amersham, confident the ticket
would return as the system would know it was valid for unlimited trips
in Zones A-D, and he was correct; the ticket was returned and he was
able to use it to get back in through the barriers.

Does this mean that a Amersham to Zones 1-6 travelcard is now
effectively a Zones 1-9 travelcard? Or does it have the validity of
the old A-D?

Matthew Dickinson January 24th 08 11:19 AM

National Rail and Zones 7-9

Also, much as it might seem straightforward to have a London centred zonal
system spreading ever outwards, there will have to be a limit somewhere -
and it might as well be the Greater London boundary as anywhere.

Paul

Although it isn't the Greater London boundary in quite a few cases
(e.g. Epping and Elstree).

Chiltern Railways have a neat diagram on their trains showing both the
London and Centrocard zones.

I can see the London Zonal system and PAYG eventually spreading to the
inner suburban limits (e.g Hertford, Dartford, Slough, Shenfield) but
not further.

Andy January 24th 08 11:26 AM

National Rail and Zones 7-9

On Jan 24, 11:16*am, "
wrote:
[...]

The other problem with the 19.04 is that it is only four coaches,
whilst near all the other services are eight coaches at this time of
day. If the train was lengthened, then it would be comfortable. I'd
hope that this will happen from the December 2008 timetable or when
all the class 321s have been replaced by Desiros as finding a spare
unit will be slightly easier. The other problem with the 19.04 is that
is an all stations Watford - Bletchley and so a fair number of
passengers don't have an alternative train.

I use the 19.04 on occasion and I usually get a seat if I arrive just
after the 18.54 (which is first stop Harrow) has left. There are a
fair number of people who get off at Harrow, but not enough to leave
seats free for people who have been standing.

Mizter T January 24th 08 02:57 PM

National Rail and Zones 7-9

On 24 Jan, 11:01, " wrote:
On Jan 23, 8:36 pm, (Neil Williams)
wrote: On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 19:34:24 +0000, James Farrar

(snip)

As an example, since Oyster PAYG became valid on London Midland
"mainline", the 1824 EUS-Northampton has become decidedly busier than
it was before. Presumably the PAYG users were previously using the
Bakerloo to Harrow and Wealdstone.

I don't understand why there would be any change. Oyster's always been
valid to H&W on all trains.

As I describe elsewhere, the information at Harrow & Wealdstone
concerning Oyster validity is likely to be much clearer and more
prominent now than it was before London Overground launched in
November. The fact that Oyster PAYG was valid on the fast trains did
appear somewhat opaque in the days of Silverlink. However I can't
imagine that this makes a massive difference.

And since PAYG has been valid all the way to Watford Junction, it's
been much much cheaper[1] to travel after 7pm. So I'd have expected
the 19:04 to be the train that saw a dramatic increase in traffic if
any did.

Just to be clear for other readers, the WJ to Euston fare for the
morning commute (7am - 9.30am) is £5.50. The return journey would cost
that if one leaves Euston before 7pm, but after 7pm the fare drops to
£3.

Provided you make at least one of your journeys in the 7pm-7am window
it's cheaper to use PAYG rather than an annual gold card from Watford
Junction

I'm not sure about one of these calculations...

WJ-Euston 2268 which is 8.70 per business day. PAYG is 8.50 per
day[1]. Once you allow for at least 28 days holiday it's 9.70 per day
by goldcard.

That's fine - the Oyster PAYG fare being £5.50 + £3 = £8.50.

WJ-Zone1 2604. 10GBP/business day. PAYG is 9.00. Allowing for
holidays, goldcard is 11.20.

[1] Assuming one journey in the 7am-7pm and one in the 7pm-7am
periods.

I cannot see where you got the total fare when using Oyster PAYG as
£9.00.

A through PAYG fare between Watford Junction and zone 1 on the
Underground[*] is £6.00 (weekdays 7am-7pm) or £3.50 (all other
times). The total is thus £9.50.

And this would be more expensive if the passenger got on the
Underground in central London to make their way back to Euston before
7pm...

£6 (morning through journey WJ - Euston - LU zone 1)
+ £1.50 (single z1 Underground journey)
+ £3 (post-7pm Euston to WJ fare)
Total = £10.50

And of course these calculations all shift about somewhat if a
commuter regularly takes a pre-7pm train from Euston back to WJ, in
which case they'd get charged the higher £5.50 fare twice so the daily
total would be £11 (or for a through journey from LU zone 1 it would
be £6 twice, so £12).

-----[*] Though in actual fact this fare would cover someone entering the
Underground network at Euston in zone 1 and travelling out on the
Underground - or indeed on a rail route where PAYG was valid - to zone
6, for example to Upminster.

Mizter T January 24th 08 03:21 PM

National Rail and Zones 7-9

Yorkie wrote:

On Jan 23, 5:55�pm, Mizter T wrote:
What would be good would be if National Rail systems were updated so
that they too could issue Travelcards that include zones 7-9. In a
sense they can, as they use the actual station description - but I'm
unclear whether such Travelcards that include actual stations as the
origin (or destination - but I think only origin is possible) can be
used for unlimited travel as opposed to just being valid for a
straight return journey.

In the days of Zones A-D, I was told that asking for an All Zones
travelcard issued *from* Amersham to Zones 1-6, would count as the NR
equivalent to All Zones + A-D, and this was the same price with a
railcard (GBP4.80) as a regular 'All Zones'.

AIUI such a Travelcard would be issued with the origin as (say)
Amersham - it is not possible to issue it with Amersham as the
destination, I suppose because the destination has to be R1256.

But that is very interesting to know that the Railcard discounted
price of such a ticket (£4.80) is the same as the zones 1-6 Day
Travelcard. This does make sense, as when LU issues (or at least used
to issue) Railcard-discounted Day Travelcards you'd get zones A-D
thrown in "for free" as well.

We had no problems purchasing the tickets (at East Croydon). A friend
put this ticket through the barriers at Amersham, confident the ticket
would return as the system would know it was valid for unlimited trips
in Zones A-D, and he was correct; the ticket was returned and he was
able to use it to get back in through the barriers.

That's good to know. I was recently with a friend who tried to buy a
(non Railcard-discounted) Travelcard including all zones to Amersham
from New Cross station (before the ELL closed), but the ticket clerk
suggested that it was "only really" valid for one return journey to/
from Amersham that day to/from the boundary of zone 6 (and did also
indicate that it would be issued with Amersham as the origin
station).

My friend needed to make at least three journeys between London and
Amersham that day, so whilst I would have just bought the ticket on
offer and taken a bet, they instead opted to use Oyster PAYG and so
take the East London Line from New Cross.

Does this mean that a Amersham to Zones 1-6 travelcard is now
effectively a Zones 1-9 travelcard? Or does it have the validity of
the old A-D?

Very interesting point.

It cannot make much sense that a ticket that has 'Amersham to zones
1-6 Travelcard' printed on it would be valid from Watford High Street
(last zonal station on the DC line) southwards.

One wonders whether National Rail ticket offices are in fact able to
even issue a pseudo zones 1-9 Travelcard whatsoever, given the
requirement to use "actual station descriptions". I have a strong
suspicion they cannot.

Matthew Dickinson January 24th 08 05:15 PM

National Rail and Zones 7-9

My friend needed to make at least three journeys between London and
Amersham that day, so whilst I would have just bought the ticket on
offer and taken a bet, they instead opted to use Oyster PAYG and so
take the East London Line from New Cross.

I wonder if PAYG cards are still accepted at the New Cross gateline?
They should have been reprogrammed to reject them with error code 57,
but I haven't been there since the ELL closed to check this.

Mizter T January 24th 08 07:25 PM

National Rail and Zones 7-9

On 24 Jan, 18:15, Matthew Dickinson
wrote:
My friend needed to make at least three journeys between London and
Amersham that day, so whilst I would have just bought the ticket on
offer and taken a bet, they instead opted to use Oyster PAYG and so
take the East London Line from New Cross.

I wonder if PAYG cards are still accepted at the New Cross gateline?
They should have been reprogrammed to reject them with error code 57,
but I haven't been there since the ELL closed to check this.

I guess I could try this sometime - the issue of course being that one
needs to also be in possession of a separate and valid ticket (which I
can manage, no problem), and also one will end up paying £4 unless one
touches-out somewhere else.

Incidentally, when I looked a few weeks ago, the Oyster readers at
both NX and NXG were covered in black and yellow hazard tape but were
still operational - and lots of people were still touching-in or out
as they arrived or alighted from mainline trains, presumably with
Oyster cards loaded with Travelcards - and were so doing because the
message that they should "always touch in/out" has been drilled in to
them.

Neil Williams January 24th 08 07:55 PM

National Rail and Zones 7-9

On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 02:43:02 -0800 (PST), Paul Weaver
wrote:

I was shocked at how busy the ~19:00 to Bletchley was, hardly anyone
got off at Harrow where I boarded (19:16), but I could barely fit in.
I've never had to stand on a train on that line before

Never used one that late[1], but that does surprise me. There might,
I suppose, have been some disruption earlier. It's very unusual for
any train on the ex-Silverlink County lines to be so busy you can't
fit on (I assume you are thinking Tube-style crush here?)

[1] Even though I normally go from Bletchley, I have a season to/from
MKC (yes, I know it's a bit more expensive, no I'm not paying for it
;) ). This allows me to double-back from MKC if I want to, or to just
walk or get the bus home from there. If I miss the 1824, it's a lot
less hassle for me to go for some dinner in London and get the 1940 VT
to MKC instead.

Neil

--
Neil Williams

Neil Williams January 24th 08 08:01 PM

National Rail and Zones 7-9

On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 03:16:17 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised to see a timetable alteration that moves this
train earlier by 4 (or 5) minutes.

(Of course, moving all the trains later by 10 minutes would also help
because then there would be a 19:04 and a 19:14)

However, you've been lucky if you've never had to stand. Those trains
are always busy. It's quieter from about the 19:54 through to about
21:54 then it starts getting busy again.

Because then the 4-car units start coming out.

(I'm not joking - the one big criticism I have of ex-Silverlink that I
forgot to mention at the "meet the managers" earlier this week is that
they just put 4-car sets out on Saturdays and Sundays, which tends to
result in a lot more trains being full-and-standing than you ever see
on a weekday).

As to the timetable, I can't remember what happens to the all-shacks
trains, but the fasts and slows will be offset by about 15 minutes
unlike the present situation where they leave at roughly the same time
(e.g. 1823 fast, 1824 slow). This will mean the slows will become
more attractive to MKC passengers, which might have an interesting and
undesirable[1] effect.

[1] The slows can't be longer than 8 cars southbound due to
Bletchley's short platforms and the fact that none of the stock has
SDO. They can be 12-car northbound (like the 1754 is) but you'd have
a big problem arranging that without a lot of units building up at
Northampton...

Neil

--
Neil Williams

Neil Williams January 24th 08 08:03 PM

National Rail and Zones 7-9

On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 04:26:45 -0800 (PST), Andy
wrote:

The other problem with the 19.04 is that it is only four coaches,
whilst near all the other services are eight coaches at this time of
day. If the train was lengthened, then it would be comfortable. I'd
hope that this will happen from the December 2008 timetable or when
all the class 321s have been replaced by Desiros as finding a spare
unit will be slightly easier.

Er, wha? The 321s are, as I recall, the most reliable stock in the
UK, the Desiros rather less so. As there will be the same amount of
Desiros as 321s, rather the opposite seems likely.

I had forgotten that train was 4-car, though, and it surprises me that
there isn't enough stock to make it 8. Really, everything should be 8
or 12 except at the crack of dawn on a Sunday, as the loadings
certainly justify it.

Neil

--
Neil Williams

Mizter T January 24th 08 08:25 PM

National Rail and Zones 7-9

wrote:

The other problem with the 19.04 is that it is only four coaches,
whilst near all the other services are eight coaches at this time of
day. If the train was lengthened, then it would be comfortable. I'd
hope that this will happen from the December 2008 timetable or when
all the class 321s have been replaced by Desiros as finding a spare
unit will be slightly easier.

Er, wha? The 321s are, as I recall, the most reliable stock in the
UK, the Desiros rather less so. As there will be the same amount of
Desiros as 321s, rather the opposite seems likely.

I had forgotten that train was 4-car, though, and it surprises me that
there isn't enough stock to make it 8. Really, everything should be 8
or 12 except at the crack of dawn on a Sunday, as the loadings
certainly justify it.

Neil

Is the 19.04 the first 4-car train of the evening? If so it seems
likely that that's more of a contributory factor to overcrowding than
any issue over fares.

I do find it slightly hard to believe that are hordes of people
milling about on the Euston concourse, waiting for the first post-7pm
cheap train to take them home.

Neil Williams January 24th 08 09:44 PM

National Rail and Zones 7-9

On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 13:25:59 -0800 (PST), Mizter T
wrote:

Is the 19.04 the first 4-car train of the evening? If so it seems
likely that that's more of a contributory factor to overcrowding than
any issue over fares.

I believe it is, yes (the 1834 is 8-car).

I do find it slightly hard to believe that are hordes of people
milling about on the Euston concourse, waiting for the first post-7pm
cheap train to take them home.

As, to be fair, do I, though people do wait (like I do sometimes) for
the first VT to MKC, not on the grounds of cost but on the grounds of
speed/comfort.

Neil

--
Neil Williams

Tim Woodall January 24th 08 10:13 PM

National Rail and Zones 7-9

On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 07:57:53 -0800 (PST),
Mizter T wrote:

WJ-Zone1 2604. 10GBP/business day. PAYG is 9.00. Allowing for
holidays, goldcard is 11.20.

[1] Assuming one journey in the 7am-7pm and one in the 7pm-7am
periods.

I cannot see where you got the total fare when using Oyster PAYG as
£9.00.

A through PAYG fare between Watford Junction and zone 1 on the
Underground[*] is £6.00 (weekdays 7am-7pm) or £3.50 (all other
times). The total is thus £9.50.

You're right! I thought the WJ-Z1 journey was 3.00 - shows how often I
do it. The good news is that that means it's only going to take 5 years
for my titanium Brompton (that I haven't actually bought yet) to pay for
itself instead of 10 ;-) (As I can get it through the cycle to work
scheme it should actually pay for itself in about 3 years (although
there are always ongoing costs, tyres/tubes/brake blocks etc - I
wouldn't be surprised if I spend about 100GBP/year keeping my current
Brompton on the road)

And this would be more expensive if the passenger got on the
Underground in central London to make their way back to Euston before
7pm...

Indeed. They should, of course, use the 1.00 they will save towards a
beer before they get on the tube. It won't actually save them any money
but they'll be much happer as a result ;-)

£6 (morning through journey WJ - Euston - LU zone 1)
+ £1.50 (single z1 Underground journey)
+ £3 (post-7pm Euston to WJ fare)
Total = £10.50

And of course these calculations all shift about somewhat if a
commuter regularly takes a pre-7pm train from Euston back to WJ, in
which case they'd get charged the higher £5.50 fare twice so the daily
total would be £11 (or for a through journey from LU zone 1 it would
be £6 twice, so £12).

I guess this is probably how it works for most people which is why it's
priced the way it is. All bar one of my journey's this week have been
before 7am (actually I've been catching the 07:01 train) or after 7pm.

Tim.

and there was light.

Tim Woodall January 24th 08 10:34 PM

National Rail and Zones 7-9

Mizter T wrote:

I do find it slightly hard to believe that are hordes of people
milling about on the Euston concourse, waiting for the first post-7pm
cheap train to take them home.

They probably wouldn't. Either they're going to be coming via the
underground, so they'll be starting their journey after 7pm from there,
or they'll be in walking distance (or cycling) in which case it's fairly
easy to time your journey to arrive at Euston.

I cycle from Moorgate, and baring appalling traffic I can almost
guarantee that if I leave my desk at least twenty minutes before my
train leaves Euston then I'll catch the train. (At 20 minutes I'll often
have to run through Euston as my "on the road" cycling time varies from
10 to 15 minutes with an average of about 12 minutes. The 10 minute run
requires no traffic holding me up and almost all the lights in my
favour)

Tim.

and there was light.

Arthur Figgis January 24th 08 10:43 PM

National Rail and Zones 7-9

Chris Tolley wrote:
Paul Scott wrote:

much as it might seem straightforward to have a London centred zonal
system spreading ever outwards, there will have to be a limit somewhere -
and it might as well be the Greater London boundary as anywhere.

Actually ... I rather like the idea of the zones spreading ever
outwards. With Zone 43 including the great arc of Wrexham, Chester,
Warrington, Manchester, Huddersfield, Leeds and Hull, it looks like a
one-zone ticket will be quite good value, though knowing the way that
such boundaries are set, I expect a Chester to Manchester via Knutsford
ticket would have to be a 2-zoner. ;-)

Some countries do have a national zone model, where you pay for the
zones you pass through. They use boxes or cells rather than concentric
rings as the zones.

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK

Andy January 25th 08 12:03 AM

National Rail and Zones 7-9

wrote:

The other problem with the 19.04 is that it is only four coaches,
whilst near all the other services are eight coaches at this time of
day. If the train was lengthened, then it would be comfortable. I'd
hope that this will happen from the December 2008 timetable or when
all the class 321s have been replaced by Desiros as finding a spare
unit will be slightly easier.

Er, wha? *The 321s are, as I recall, the most reliable stock in the
UK, the Desiros rather less so. *As there will be the same amount of
Desiros as 321s, rather the opposite seems likely.

It will be easier finding a spare unit as the whole fleet will be
compatible, unlike at present where you'd need to diagram an extra 350
to lengthen the 19.04. The Desiros have 25 units diagrammed from 30
(=83% in service), the 321s have 29 units diagrammed from 37 (=78% in
service). The other point to consider is that the unit forming the
19.04 is diagramed with a partner in the morning peak, so a complete
rewrite of the diagrams would be necessary to convert to a pair of
321s at the moment.

My personal opinion is that Bletchley have an easy task (not that I
want to put down their being top of the table) with the 321s as they
are so lightly diagrammed and a large percentage of the fleet sit in
Camden sidings during the daytime. Remember at one point silverlink
that three units on loan (two to c2C and one to northern), so the
extra units are there, but can't be coupled to the 19.04. Also, the
350s are catching up the 321s in the reliability stakes (I don't have
this year's Golden Spanner stats to hand though to give the proper
numbers).

I had forgotten that train was 4-car, though, and it surprises me that
there isn't enough stock to make it 8. *Really, everything should be 8
or 12 except at the crack of dawn on a Sunday, as the loadings
certainly justify it.

See above, this is one of the delights of having a mixed fleet of
incompatible units.

Neil

--
Neil Williams

Mizter T January 25th 08 12:14 AM

National Rail and Zones 7-9

On 24 Jan, 23:43, Arthur Figgis wrote:
Chris Tolley wrote:
Paul Scott wrote:

much as it might seem straightforward to have a London centred zonal
system spreading ever outwards, there will have to be a limit somewhere -
and it might as well be the Greater London boundary as anywhere.

Actually ... I rather like the idea of the zones spreading ever
outwards. With Zone 43 including the great arc of Wrexham, Chester,
Warrington, Manchester, Huddersfield, Leeds and Hull, it looks like a
one-zone ticket will be quite good value, though knowing the way that
such boundaries are set, I expect a Chester to Manchester via Knutsford
ticket would have to be a 2-zoner. ;-)

Some countries do have a national zone model, where you pay for the
zones you pass through. They use boxes or cells rather than concentric
rings as the zones.

This is how things are done in Tyne & Wear - see:
http://www.networkticketing.com/selector.html

or for a more detailed PDF of the above:
http://www.nexus.org.uk/ufs/shared/i...ne_Map_Col.pdf
(though the above PDF map omits some important zonal boundary lines in
the middle of the Tyne river).

Thankfully these don't come into play when you want a day ticket -
they're only relevant for the weekly, monthly or annual multi-
operator

The numbering logic behind the zones seems bizarre at first sight -
the zone numbers ascend in a sort of diagonal sweep from the south
west to the north east of the metropolitan county of T&W. However I
think it may be designed this was to make it easy to issue and -
crucially - verify the validity of tickets with zonal combinations
that are in a row or in a ring (think of a busy bus driver checking
tickets). Note that the Tyne ferry has zone 38 all to itself.

Neil Williams January 25th 08 05:10 AM

National Rail and Zones 7-9

On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 17:03:56 -0800 (PST), Andy
wrote:

It will be easier finding a spare unit as the whole fleet will be
compatible, unlike at present where you'd need to diagram an extra 350
to lengthen the 19.04. The Desiros have 25 units diagrammed from 30
(=3D83% in service), the 321s have 29 units diagrammed from 37 (=3D78% in
service). The other point to consider is that the unit forming the
19.04 is diagramed with a partner in the morning peak, so a complete
rewrite of the diagrams would be necessary to convert to a pair of
321s at the moment.

Ah - so that one is a Desiro? I could have sworn it was a 321 when
I've seen it.

I had forgotten that train was 4-car, though, and it surprises me that
there isn't enough stock to make it 8. =A0Really, everything should be 8
or 12 except at the crack of dawn on a Sunday, as the loadings
certainly justify it.

See above, this is one of the delights of having a mixed fleet of
incompatible units.

Not on a Sunday, when there are (I think) only 4 diagrams giving a
half-hourly service, and most of them tend to be 4-car. This is
lunacy given the actual demand.

Neil

--
Neil Williams

[email protected][_2_] January 25th 08 07:26 AM

National Rail and Zones 7-9

wrote:

See above, this is one of the delights of having a mixed fleet of
incompatible units.

Not on a Sunday, when there are (I think) only 4 diagrams giving a
half-hourly service, and most of them tend to be 4-car. This is
lunacy given the actual demand.

Does anyone know what proportion of the running costs of a train are
power consumption and how that scales with length of train?

Presumably for trains with few stops the power consumption is
approximately constant regardless of the length of the train because
the main loss will be air drag.

But how far apart do those stops have to be?

I presume trains don't use regenerative braking at all (ISTR some of
the underground trains are now starting to use this)

Tim.

Graeme Wall January 25th 08 08:45 AM

National Rail and Zones 7-9

wrote:

See above, this is one of the delights of having a mixed fleet of
incompatible units.

Not on a Sunday, when there are (I think) only 4 diagrams giving a
half-hourly service, and most of them tend to be 4-car. This is
lunacy given the actual demand.

Does anyone know what proportion of the running costs of a train are
power consumption and how that scales with length of train?

Presumably for trains with few stops the power consumption is
approximately constant regardless of the length of the train because
the main loss will be air drag.

Which can be affected by the length of the train, think side winds.

--
Graeme Wall
This address is not read, substitute trains for rail.

Andy January 25th 08 09:53 AM

National Rail and Zones 7-9

wrote:

I had forgotten that train was 4-car, though, and it surprises me that
there isn't enough stock to make it 8. =A0Really, everything should be 8
or 12 except at the crack of dawn on a Sunday, as the loadings
certainly justify it.

See above, this is one of the delights of having a mixed fleet of
incompatible units.

Not on a Sunday, when there are (I think) only 4 diagrams giving a
half-hourly service, and most of them tend to be 4-car. *This is
lunacy given the actual demand.

I certainly agree about the lengths of trains on Sundays. I thought
(although I'm not absolutely sure) that PIXC (Passengers In eXcess of
Capacity) standards were supposed to be met all the time. I.E. on
Sundays as well as during the week. Sunday afternoon / evening seem to
be far more crowded than most of the peak trains (except the 19.04!!)
and like you say, it is not difficult to make all the trains 8 cars.

Andy January 25th 08 09:59 AM

National Rail and Zones 7-9

On Jan 25, 8:26*am, "
wrote:

I presume trains don't use regenerative braking at all (ISTR some of
the underground trains are now starting to use this)

Tim.

The Class 350s can regenerate, but I don't know if it is being used at
the moment. The Pendolinos certainly do, as it is claimed to give a
17% reduction in energy use. The class 321s don't have regen, as far
as I know.

[email protected][_2_] January 25th 08 10:42 AM

National Rail and Zones 7-9

On Jan 25, 9:45 am, Graeme Wall wrote:

wrote:

See above, this is one of the delights of having a mixed fleet of
incompatible units.

Not on a Sunday, when there are (I think) only 4 diagrams giving a
half-hourly service, and most of them tend to be 4-car. This is
lunacy given the actual demand.

Does anyone know what proportion of the running costs of a train are
power consumption and how that scales with length of train?

Presumably for trains with few stops the power consumption is
approximately constant regardless of the length of the train because
the main loss will be air drag.

Which can be affected by the length of the train, think side winds.

To a first approximation it shouldn't matter because the force will be
perpendicular to the trains movement.

It will have an effect but I'd expect it to be small relative to the
energy required to accelerate and the energy required to push the
train through the air.

If I'm wrong and it is a significant effect then I'd expect that to be
due to turbulence of the air passing under the train and where the
carriages join. But I'd assume that a train reasonably approximates a
long straight bar.

Tim.