Old January 31st 08, 12:55 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Victoria line

On Jan 30, 7:04 pm, Mr Thant
wrote:
On 30 Jan, 18:39, Offramp wrote:

I suppose that explains the Northern Line's movement from left to
right between Moorgate & Bank until after Kennington. It must be to
make connections easier.

Er, the Northern Line switches back at Borough-ish, and is due to the
way the original crossing of the Thames to King William Street (near
Bank) was built, though it's a very long story.

If the lines need to switch at Euston because the northbound Northern
is going west while the northbound Victoria is going east. That's not
the case at Stockwell and Kennington.

The Bank branch is generally on the east side of London. At Kennington
the southbound Bank branch arrives on the west side. That means it has
crossed the Charing Cross Branch.

Old January 31st 08, 07:31 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 31 Jan, 01:55, Offramp wrote:
The Bank branch is generally on the east side of London. At Kennington
the southbound Bank branch arrives on the west side. That means it has
crossed the Charing Cross Branch.

But the line still runs north to south, and it's not east of either
northbound tunnel. There's no right-hand running.

The problem at Euston is that one line runs east to west and the other
west to east, and if one didn't have right-hand running, the opposite
direction tunnels would be adjacent to each other.

http://londonconnections.blogspot.com/
A blog about transport projects in London
Old January 31st 08, 01:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 31 Jan, 08:31, Mr Thant
wrote:
On 31 Jan, 01:55, Offramp wrote:

The Bank branch is generally on the east side of London. At Kennington
the southbound Bank branch arrives on the west side. That means it has
crossed the Charing Cross Branch.

But the line still runs north to south, and it's not east of either
northbound tunnel. There's no right-hand running.

The problem at Euston is that one line runs east to west and the other
west to east, and if one didn't have right-hand running, the opposite
direction tunnels would be adjacent to each other.

There was discussion a while back about how it would be nice if you
could stand in one corridor to get the next train to Kings Cross.

However, the arrangement we have means that you can easily get from,
say, Green Park to Edgware without stairs and escalators. But not
from Green Park to Angel. It probably suits the majority as it is.
Old January 31st 08, 01:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

MIG wrote:

There was discussion a while back about how it would be nice if you
could stand in one corridor to get the next train to Kings Cross.

It would be nice. On the other hand, people should walk from Euston to KGX.
--
Michael Hoffman
Old January 31st 08, 05:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 31 Jan, 14:30, MIG wrote:
There was discussion a while back about how it would be nice if you
could stand in one corridor to get the next train to Kings Cross.

if you go down the emergency spiral stairs at Euston you end up in a
corridor not far from either pair of platforms. All that's missing is
a next train indicator.

But unless there's disruption I think just going for the Victoria Line
is the best strategy. It's much shallower at KXSP (one medium
escalator vs one short then one long escalator), the platform exit is
at the same end as the entrance at Euston, and there's not a queue to
get out like at the Northern Line platforms.

However, the arrangement we have means that you can easily get from,
say, Green Park to Edgware without stairs and escalators. *But not
from Green Park to Angel. *

I was about to say "Mornington Crescent", but it's on the wrong
branch.

Old January 31st 08, 06:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london
No Name

### Another source of this information is the series of Trackmaps books
covering the entire British isles, http://www.trackmaps.co.uk/ Book 5
Southern and London Underground being the one of interest, giving track
layouts, flyovers/unders, distances in km from somewhere in deepest Essex,
called Ongar ( where all underground distances are based from.) These books
are very good, so much so, that even NOTwork Rail buy them by the barrow
load. These books are available from the Ian Allan bookshop.
"clyde dempster" wrote in message

Hi

Boarding a train at Pimlico going north the southbound trains are on the
right if i face the front of the train. Somewhere between Pimlico and
Kings Cross they change to being on the left. Where do the lines go over
and under each other and is there a tube map published that would give
information like this.

Thanks

Clyde

Old January 31st 08, 06:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On Jan 31, 6:01*pm, Mr Thant
wrote:
On 31 Jan, 14:30, MIG wrote:

There was discussion a while back about how it would be nice if you
could stand in one corridor to get the next train to Kings Cross.

if you go down the emergency spiral stairs at Euston you end up in a
corridor not far from either *pair of platforms. All that's missing is
a next train indicator.

Indeed, that's the way I go if I am doing something like Green Park to
Angel, rather than up and down the long escalators. I don't think you
can easily tell which platform anything's coming into though.

But unless there's disruption I think just going for the Victoria Line
is the best strategy. It's much shallower at KXSP (one medium
escalator vs one short then one long escalator), the platform exit is
at the same end as the entrance at Euston, and there's not a queue to
get out like at the Northern Line platforms.

And also probably more frequent, so it's what I'd do, except I
probably would walk if it came to it.

However, the arrangement we have means that you can easily get from,
say, Green Park to Edgware without stairs and escalators. *But not
from Green Park to Angel. *

I was about to say "Mornington Crescent", but it's on the wrong
branch.

It might be a valid answer, depending on which rules you are following.
Old January 31st 08, 09:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 30 Jan 2008, Mr Thant wrote:

On 30 Jan, 12:01, "clyde dempster"
wrote:

Boarding a train at Pimlico going north the southbound trains are on
the right if i face the front of the train. Somewhere between Pimlico
and Kings Cross they change to being on the left. Where do the lines go
over and under each other and is there a tube map published that would
give information like this.

Between Oxford Circus and Warren Street and back again between KXSP and
Highbury and Islington. It's so that the northbound and southbound
tracks are the same sides as the equivalent tracks at Euston, for
cross-platform interchange.

Here are two maps that show it:
http://web.archive.org/web/200603022...s/victoria.jpg
http://rodcorp.typepad.com/photos/va..._trackmap.html

Hmm. The Northern line also runs the wrong way round through Kentish Town,
it seems, going through Tufnell Park and South Kentish Town the right way.
Or is it Kentish Town that's right and the others that are wrong? In
either case, why?

tom

--
Your words are mostly meaningless symbols -- Andrew, to Niall
Old January 31st 08, 11:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 31 Jan, 22:37, Tom Anderson wrote:
Hmm. The Northern line also runs the wrong way round through Kentish Town,
it seems, going through Tufnell Park and South Kentish Town the right way.

Mr. Feather speaketh thus:
"In addition, at Kentish Town the southbound tube is above the
northbound and their centrelines cross over; this could technically be
described as right-hand running"

http://www.davros.org/rail/culg/northern.html

Old February 1st 08, 03:30 AM posted to uk.transport.london

If you have an explanation, I'd like to see it, and the source.

The most detailed explanation I've seen is this one from a very
hardcore expert:
http://districtdave.proboards39.com/...e=1#1163453810

The gist is the tunnels were built in stages with no real plan, and it
was very late on that a decision was taken to make the tunnel with the
shallowest gradient up to King William Street the northbound one,
which also happened to be the one on the right crossing the Thames.

Thanks, that's an excellent explanation and it completely makes sense.
It includes many details that I have not seen in any book -- and I'd
still like to know what source they came from, so I can read it!
--
Mark Brader | "What a strange field. Studying beings instead of mathematics.
Toronto | Could lead to recursive problems in logic."