Old February 13th 08, 07:31 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default 31 Minutes to walk from Kings Cross to St. Pancreas - Is this true!?

On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 12:20:10 +0000, Ian Jelf
wrote:

I've heard a story, second hand and from a "Non Railway" person, which I
didn't fully understand, that there was once a station *somewhere* (not
KC) which had a Platform 9 3/4 and that that was the inspiration for JK
Rowling.

I recall seeing this when JK Rowling was interviewed on TV: as has
been said elsewhere in the thread, she was thinking of Euston, and
specifically of the way that platforms there are clustered with
several platforms reached from one ramp down from the concourse.
Platform 9 3/4 could be reached (by non-muggles only of course) by
running very fast towards the gap between the ramp reading to platform
9 and that leading to platform 10.

Martin

Old February 13th 08, 01:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london, uk.railway

On 11 Feb., 13:31, Mike Roebuck wrote:
On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 12:20:10 +0000, Ian Jelf

wrote:
In message
,
jonmorris writes
On 10 Feb, 17:06, "David Biddulph" groups [at] biddulph.org.uk
wrote:

Isn't there now a luggage trolley on its way through to the platform?

Yes, which is now badly dented - either through vandalism or something
else hitting it.

Not sure what that website was going on about, suggesting the platform
9 3/4 could have been there before the book!!

I've heard a story, second hand and from a "Non Railway" person, which I
didn't fully understand, that there was once a station *somewhere* (not
KC) which had a Platform 9 3/4 and that that was the inspiration for JK
Rowling.

Anyone else here know?

No, but I do recall reading that, when she started writing about Kings
Cross, she was actually thinking of Euston.- Zitierten Text ausblenden -

- Zitierten Text anzeigen -

they are so similar I suppose
Old February 13th 08, 07:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In message
, at
06:12:27 on Wed, 13 Feb 2008, remarked:
No, but I do recall reading that, when she started writing about Kings
Cross, she was actually thinking of Euston.

they are so similar I suppose

Both being stations you end up in London at, if you start your journey
in Edinburgh.
Old February 13th 08, 08:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message
, at
06:12:27 on Wed, 13 Feb 2008, remarked:
No, but I do recall reading that, when she started writing about Kings
Cross, she was actually thinking of Euston.

they are so similar I suppose

Both being stations you end up in London at, if you start your journey in
Edinburgh.

More true for Glasgow than for Edinburgh?
[Only one daytime through train EDB to EUS.]
--
David Biddulph

Old February 13th 08, 08:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london, uk.railway
MIG MIG is offline

wrote:
I've heard a story, second hand and from a "Non Railway" person, which I
didn't fully understand, that there was once a station *somewhere* (not
KC) which had a Platform 9 3/4 and that that was the inspiration for JK
Rowling.

I recall seeing this when JK Rowling was interviewed on TV: as has
been said elsewhere in the thread, she was thinking of Euston, and
specifically of the way that platforms there are clustered with
several platforms reached from one ramp down from the concourse.
Platform 9 3/4 could be reached (by non-muggles only of course) by
running very fast towards the gap between the ramp reading to platform
9 and that leading to platform 10.

Martin

But it's the same ramp innit? (And now the only barriered one I
think.)

9 and 10 are the only two tracks with electric rails and are
immediately adjacent (ie not an island platform). Makes for some
interesting possibilities.

Old February 13th 08, 09:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london, uk.railway

I didn't see where the OP said he was taking NXEC, and I still don't.
There are buses that are have a scheduled time of only 22 minutes from
Hatfield to St. Albans, so depending on where you're coming from it
might be faster or cheaper.
--
Michael Hoffman

I'm coming from Durham, so stations such as Hatfield are not available
to me.
Old February 14th 08, 06:40 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In message , at 21:41:59 on
Wed, 13 Feb 2008, David Biddulph remarked:
No, but I do recall reading that, when she started writing about Kings
Cross, she was actually thinking of Euston.

they are so similar I suppose

Both being stations you end up in London at, if you start your journey in
Edinburgh.

More true for Glasgow than for Edinburgh?
[Only one daytime through train EDB to EUS.]

JKR lived in Edinburgh and used to arrive (we are talking 20 years ago)
in London at Euston. I don't know what route she used to achieve that.
Old February 14th 08, 07:13 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Roland Perry wrote:

JKR lived in Edinburgh and used to arrive (we are talking 20 years ago)
in London at Euston. I don't know what route she used to achieve that.

WCML via Carstairs doesn't sound unreasonable for 20 years ago, without
actually looking it up.
--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p9632950.html
(43 060 at London Kings Cross, 1982)
Old February 14th 08, 08:08 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"Chris Tolley" wrote

WCML via Carstairs doesn't sound unreasonable for 20 years ago, without
actually looking it up.

20 years ago the Clansman ran between Euston and Inverness via Edinburgh.
There was also a Euston - Edinburgh sleeper, though other sleeper trains ran
from Kings Cross.

Peter

Old February 14th 08, 11:04 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Peter Masson wrote:

"Chris Tolley" wrote

WCML via Carstairs doesn't sound unreasonable for 20 years ago, without
actually looking it up.

20 years ago the Clansman ran between Euston and Inverness via Edinburgh.
There was also a Euston - Edinburgh sleeper, though other sleeper trains ran
from Kings Cross.

I recall trains that used to split at Carstairs. Had they stopped by 20
years ago?

--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p12906833.html
(47 331 at Bescot, 25 Apr 1999)