Old February 26th 08, 08:38 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Construction News Photograph - Where is it?

http://www.cnplus.co.uk/imageGallery...m18-319606.jpg

http://www.cnplus.co.uk/News/2008/02...ertised.h tml

quote

East London Railway maintenance works advertised
· Published: 18 February 2008 09:17
· Author: Alasdair Reisner
London Underground has advertised the contract to look after the £800
million railway, which is currently being built by a Balfour Beatty/
Carillion joint venture for completion in September 2009.
The new railway extends London Underground's former East London Line
route to become part of the London Overground rail network.
The winning bidder will start maintenance work in January 2009, to
allow a period of dual running with the joint venture while it carries
out testing work.
Under an initial seven year deal the successful bidder will look after
the section of the railway between New Cross and Dalston Junction,
although the area covered could be extended north to Highbury and
Islington during the tender.
A larger extension in south London is subject to financial approval.
London Underground has left the door open for the contract to be
extended to ten years if successful, but will reduce it to just five
years if the winning firm fails to live up to the requirements of its
contract.
Unquote

Puzzle of the day – where was the picture that accompanies this
article taken?

Old February 26th 08, 10:08 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Mwmbwls wrote:
http://www.cnplus.co.uk/imageGallery...m18-319606.jpg

http://www.cnplus.co.uk/News/2008/02...ertised.h tml

quote

East London Railway maintenance works advertised
· Published: 18 February 2008 09:17
· Author: Alasdair Reisner
London Underground has advertised the contract to look after the £800
million railway, which is currently being built by a Balfour Beatty/
Carillion joint venture for completion in September 2009.

Puzzle of the day – where was the picture that accompanies this
article taken?

SIgn in required unfortunately...

Paul S

Old February 26th 08, 10:37 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On Feb 26, 11:08 am, "Paul Scott"
wrote:
Mwmbwls wrote:
http://www.cnplus.co.uk/imageGallery...m:18-753594&pa....

http://www.cnplus.co.uk/News/2008/02...y_maintenance_...

quote

East London Railway maintenance works advertised
· Published: 18 February 2008 09:17
· Author: Alasdair Reisner
London Underground has advertised the contract to look after the £800
million railway, which is currently being built by a Balfour Beatty/
Carillion joint venture for completion in September 2009.

Puzzle of the day - where was the picture that accompanies this
article taken?

SIgn in required unfortunately...

For the first link it isn't. If that picture was taken on the ELL, it
would have to be a station I haven't been to recently, which would
make Shoreditch the only possiblity.

However, it doesn't look anything like how I would imagine Shoreditch
to be.

So it could be anywhere on LU ... I know some stations that it isn't.

I'm guessing somewhere at the eastern end of the District.
Old February 26th 08, 11:32 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 26 Feb, 11:37, MIG wrote:
However, it doesn't look anything like how I would imagine Shoreditch
to be.

It certainly isn't Shoreditch, or anywhere on the East London Line
(the only outdoor station with double track was Surrey Quays, and it
ain't there)

I'm guessing somewhere at the eastern end of the District.

I'd guess Woodford or somewhere around there, but it's not somewhere I
recognise.

http://londonconnections.blogspot.com/
A blog about transport projects in London
Old February 26th 08, 11:44 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On Feb 26, 12:32*pm, Mr Thant
wrote:
On 26 Feb, 11:37, MIG wrote:

However, it doesn't look anything like how I would imagine Shoreditch
to be.

It certainly isn't Shoreditch, or anywhere on the East London Line
(the only outdoor station with double track was Surrey Quays, and it
ain't there)

I'm guessing somewhere at the eastern end of the District.

I'd guess Woodford or somewhere around there, but it's not somewhere I
recognise.

Definitely not Woodford. It might conceivably be somewhere like
Newbury Park, looking south, given the main road, footbridge and
general lowness. But it's so long since I've been there, I can't
remember what it's actually like.

But I thought the platforms looked a bit high for a tube line. Maybe
not.

Old February 26th 08, 11:54 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Mr Thant wrote:
On 26 Feb, 11:37, MIG wrote:
However, it doesn't look anything like how I would imagine Shoreditch
to be.

It certainly isn't Shoreditch, or anywhere on the East London Line
(the only outdoor station with double track was Surrey Quays, and it
ain't there)

I'm guessing somewhere at the eastern end of the District.

I'd guess Woodford or somewhere around there, but it's not somewhere I
recognise.

South Woodford seems more likely.

Old February 26th 08, 12:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On Feb 26, 12:54*pm, "John Rowland"
wrote:
Mr Thant wrote:
On 26 Feb, 11:37, MIG wrote:
However, it doesn't look anything like how I would imagine Shoreditch
to be.

It certainly isn't Shoreditch, or anywhere on the East London Line
(the only outdoor station with double track was Surrey Quays, and it
ain't there)

I'm guessing somewhere at the eastern end of the District.

I'd guess Woodford or somewhere around there, but it's not somewhere I
recognise.

South Woodford seems more likely.

Definitely not South Woodford either.

I've just had a look at the satellite map of Newbury Park, which
strongly fails to disprove my earlier suggestion that it could be
that.

So I am throwing away my District Line suggestion and putting my money
on Newbury Park.
Old February 26th 08, 12:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 26 Feb, 13:04, MIG wrote:
So I am throwing away my District Line suggestion and putting my money
on Newbury Park.

It is and all:
http://flickr.com/photos/andydoyle/391564168/

Which also has that enormous bus station:
http://flickr.com/photos/stephenk1977/213485407/

Old February 26th 08, 01:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On Feb 26, 1:36*pm, Mr Thant
wrote:
On 26 Feb, 13:04, MIG wrote:

So I am throwing away my District Line suggestion and putting my money
on Newbury Park.

It is and all:http://flickr.com/photos/andydoyle/391564168/

Which also has that enormous bus station:http://flickr.com/photos/stephenk1977/213485407/

Ah yes; the bus shelter is a listed building. Can't be many of those.
Old February 26th 08, 01:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 26 Feb, 11:37, MIG wrote:
On Feb 26, 11:08 am, "Paul Scott"
wrote:

Mwmbwls wrote:
http://www.cnplus.co.uk/imageGallery...m:18-753594&pa....

http://www.cnplus.co.uk/News/2008/02...y_maintenance_....

quote

East London Railway maintenance works advertised
· Published: 18 February 2008 09:17
· Author: Alasdair Reisner
London Underground has advertised the contract to look after the £800
million railway, which is currently being built by a Balfour Beatty/
Carillion joint venture for completion in September 2009.

Puzzle of the day - where was the picture that accompanies this
article taken?

SIgn in required unfortunately...

For the first link it isn't. *If that picture was taken on the ELL, it
would have to be a station I haven't been to recently, which would
make Shoreditch the only possiblity.

However, it doesn't look anything like how I would imagine Shoreditch
to be.

So it could be anywhere on LU ... I know some stations that it isn't.

I'm guessing somewhere at the eastern end of the District.- Hide quoted text -

No. The lines around there are all four track, because of the
Fenchurch Street line.

Jonn