Old February 29th 08, 06:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Which bus Embankment Gardens to the Royal Albert Hall?

On 2008-02-29, Reg M wrote:

Thanks for the response but unless I have misread the map the
Embankment Gardens I referred to is just west of Chelsea Bridge, the
north side of the river on Chelsea Embankment. It appears on the map
just below the Royal Hospital Chelsea.

Reg M

If you walk along Chelsea Embankment towards Chelsea Bridge, there is a
sort of roundabout at an entrance to the grounds of the Royal Hospital.
There is a bus stop there for the 360 towards the Albert Hall. It
terminates in Prince Consort Road behind the Albert Hall - get off the
bus and walk further along the road, you will see the hall on your left.

When returning it is probably best to use the stop in Queensgate just
south of Kensington Road. You will need to get off in Chelsea Bridge
Road at the Lister Hospital, as the bus in that direction does not enter
Chelsea Embankment at all, but turns left just before the bridge into
Grosvenor Road.

hth

Eric

Does the 360 really only serve stop CH - that's the bus stop outside
the entrance to the Royal Hospital that you describe - only in *one*
direction? I have to say I think it's very silly if it does! One gets
the impression that this stop is provided for the benefit of the
Chelsea Pensioners at the Hospital, but this would mean that they can
only benefit from northbound buses serving it.

OK, I failed to spot this the first time I looked but now I can see
it...

(Also, stupidly, I previously referred to Kensington-bound buses as
'northbound', where really in terms of the whole bus route they are
westbound - likewise 'southbound' buses towards the Elephant & Castle
are really eastbound. V. sorry for all the confusion! I will avoid
creating any more by not using compass point directions.)

I have obtained the PDF timetables for route 360 - both the northbound
and southbound - from the TfL Journey Planner [1], and indeed, "Bull
Ring Gate" - which (as I now remember) is the name of that bus stop
marked on the spider map as stop CH [2] - only appears on the
Kensington-bound timetable (between Westmoreland Terrace and Lister
Hospital) and is conspicuously absent from the Elephant-bound
timetable...

Route 360 northbound timetable (PDF):
http://mizter.t.googlepages.com/Rout...Kensington.pdf

Route 360 northbound timetable (PDF):
http://mizter.t.googlepages.com/Rout...s_Elephant.pdf

This is further confirmed by querying the Journey Planner for bus
timetables for the bus stop at "Bull Ring Gate", which returns the
single result of the route 360 Kensington-bound only.

Therefore I presume that there is a no right turn rule southbound from
Chelsea Bridge Rd into Chelsea Embankment that prevents the bus
calling at Bull Ring Gate in the Elephant-bound direction. I suppose
something is better than nothing, even if it is only in one direction!

-----
[1] To get PDF bus timetables click on "Timetables" under the "See
also" heading on the right hand page of the TfL Journey Planner
here...
http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk/

....or otherwise go straight there from this long link...
http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk/use...reSel=tfl:63:*

....then scroll down to "Bus timetable - route number" or "Bus
timetable - stop name" and put in the route number or stop name as
appropriate.

[2] Bus spider map for Chelsea Bridge:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/gettingaro...ital-13620.pdf

Old February 29th 08, 06:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 29 Feb, 19:15, Mr Thant
wrote:
On 29 Feb, 18:47, Mizter T wrote:

Does the 360 really only serve stop CH - that's the bus stop outside
the entrance to the Royal Hospital that you describe - only in *one*
direction? I have to say I think it's very silly if it does! One gets
the impression that this stop is provided for the benefit of the
Chelsea Pensioners at the Hospital, but this would mean that they can
only benefit from northbound buses serving it.

It's nowhere near the hospital buildings though - you want bus 170 at
the north end of the grounds. I wouldn't be surprised if it's some
sort of service they're legally obliged to provide.

Yes, the fact that it wasn't close to the hospital buildings had
indeed crossed my mind - might be good for the summer if the
Pensioners are all out in the grounds though! But only for the
outbound trip of course.

It does sound a bit like the so-called "parly" train services that are
provided grudgingly, sometimes only in one direction, so as to avoid
going through the closure procedures for a station or section of line.

I wonder if it helps meet an in-house TfL target of ensuring
everywhere in London is within x distance of a bus stop? Or is it
something else? It seems pretty silly however you look at it, but
maybe there's something we're missing...
Old February 29th 08, 06:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 29 Feb, 17:38, Laurence Payne NOSPAMlpayne1ATdsl.pipex.com wrote:

(snip)

Isn't it odd how the defaults on that page are ALL wrong? You always
have to use Advanced Options. Even there, it assumes your departure
time is the criterion. You normally don't care what time you leave
nearly so much as what time you need to arrive.

I wouldn't agree with that at all really. The Journey Planner on the
TfL home page is just for 'quick and dirty' information - if you want
to bookmark the advanced page, use this URL:

http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk/

I also certainly don't subscribe to your idea that it is the arrival
time that's always the critical factor. Most online journey planners
default to departure time anyway.

Wrong for you maybe, but I'd suggest doing things differently would
make it wrong for the majority of other users.
Old February 29th 08, 06:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2008-02-29, Reg M wrote:

[...]

I've never seen a Chelsea Pensioner use it - I always thought the
routing was to avoid a banned turn from Grosvenor Road to Chelsea Bridge
Road, and that the stop was more-or-less incidental. It's actually quite
a long way across the grounds from the hospital buildings. There are
often Chelsea Pensioners on the 239 (now 170) which goes along the other
side of the hospital.

Old February 29th 08, 06:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 29 Feb, 18:40, Mizter T wrote:

On 29 Feb, 16:59, Reg M wrote:

On Feb 29, 3:56 pm, Mizter T wrote:

On 29 Feb, 14:25, Reg M wrote:

Is there a route involving just one bus from Embankment Gardens, along
the Chelsea Embankment to the Royal Albert Hall? From what I can
gather from Internet maps etc., the nearest bus for that seems to be
the 360. Can you advise?
Reg M

The number 9 bus from directly outside Charing Cross station (stop S)
goes direct to the Royal Albert Hall. If you are starting from
Victoria Embankment Gardens [...]

(snip mistaken advice for a journey from the Embankment!)

Thanks for the response but unless I have misread the map the
Embankment Gardens I referred to is just west of Chelsea Bridge, the
north side of the river on Chelsea Embankment. It appears on the map
just below the Royal Hospital Chelsea.

Reg M

Right, yes, as Laurence Payne points out upthread the critical clue
that both I and Paul Corfield missed was that you want to get there
from Chelsea Embankment!

Take a look at this bus spider map for Chelsea Bridge (PDF):
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/gettingaro...chelseabridgea...

You're quite right to say that the 360 would do the job, and as as
Laurence says, the 452 is another.

Both will stop on all ths bus stops along Chelsea Bridge Street or
Lower Sloane Street, both a short walk from Embankment Gardens.

The map also shows the 360 stopping at stop CH on a little loop of
road just off Chelsea Embankment - this is the location of some gates
that lead into the Royal Hospital. Very confusingly, the map indicates
that the 360 only stops here when going northbound - I have to say
that I do strongly suspect this is a mistake and that the bus calls
here in both directions, but I cannot find anything to confirm my
suspicion.

(snip)

My strong suspicion is wrong and this is not a mistake, so sorry for
any confusion caused.

Just for the record, so there is no ambiguity here, the 360 does *not*
serve bus stop CH (aka "Bull Ring Gate") in the Elephant & Castle
bound direction (what I described somewhat erroneously as the
'southbound' direction above). Bus stop CH is *only* served by the the
360 in the Kensington-bound (aka 'northbound') direction.

Old February 29th 08, 07:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 10:40:14 -0800 (PST), Mizter T
wrote:

Right, yes, as Laurence Payne points out upthread the critical clue
that both I and Paul Corfield missed was that you want to get there
from Chelsea Embankment!

Spectacularly!

Take a look at this bus spider map for Chelsea Bridge (PDF):
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/gettingaro...ital-13620.pdf

[snip]
The map also shows the 360 stopping at stop CH on a little loop of
road just off Chelsea Embankment - this is the location of some gates
that lead into the Royal Hospital. Very confusingly, the map indicates
that the 360 only stops here when going northbound - I have to say
that I do strongly suspect this is a mistake and that the bus calls
here in both directions, but I cannot find anything to confirm my
suspicion.

I think there is a traffic restriction from Grosvenor Rd into Chelsea
Bridge road that prevents a right turn for the 360. Therefore it
continues along and then turns at stop CH. This is a guess on my part
but would explain the one direction only .

--
Paul C

Old February 29th 08, 08:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2008-02-29, Mizter T wrote:

On 2008-02-29, Reg M wrote:

[...]

That has to be it, thanks v. much for clearing up that little mystery
- I must admit I was stumped by it, but it all makes a lot of sense
now!

Exempting buses from banned turns is an option in places, but
Grosvenor Road/ Chelsea Embankment is a major thoroughfare, and UIVMM
the 360 is operated by a small and agile single decker so it can make
use of the Bull Ring Gate 'roundabout' to turn around with ease.
Old February 29th 08, 11:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

[...]

Thank you guys for all of your information - I do have a much better
idea of what to do now.

I have also enjoyed all the banter and was beginning to wonder if I
had asked the meaning of life :-)

Much appreciated
Reg
Old March 1st 08, 09:37 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 11:39:45 -0800 (PST), Mizter T
wrote:

Isn't it odd how the defaults on that page are ALL wrong? You always
have to use Advanced Options. Even there, it assumes your departure
time is the criterion. You normally don't care what time you leave
nearly so much as what time you need to arrive.

I wouldn't agree with that at all really. The Journey Planner on the
TfL home page is just for 'quick and dirty' information - if you want
to bookmark the advanced page, use this URL:

http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk/

I also certainly don't subscribe to your idea that it is the arrival
time that's always the critical factor. Most online journey planners
default to departure time anyway.

Wrong for you maybe, but I'd suggest doing things differently would
make it wrong for the majority of other users.

Well, it wouldn't for this guy :-) It's a fair bet his criterion is
the starting time of whatever he's going to see at the RAH, not what
time he fancies leaving Chelsea.