Old March 3rd 08, 09:47 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Whats This?

Standing around waiting for a train I noticed this
www.markvarleyphoto.co.uk/temp/Image051.jpg
Idle curiosity is getting the better of me, anyone tell me what it is?

--
Mark.
www.MarkVarleyPhoto.co.uk

Old March 3rd 08, 10:10 AM posted to uk.transport.london

MarkVarley - MVP wrote:
Standing around waiting for a train I noticed this
www.markvarleyphoto.co.uk/temp/Image051.jpg
Idle curiosity is getting the better of me, anyone tell me what it is?

Its an Automatic Warning System Ramp (AWS)

http://www.railway-technical.com/sigtxt7.shtml
Old March 3rd 08, 10:13 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 3 Mar, 10:47, MarkVarley - MVP
wrote:
Standing around waiting for a train I noticed thiswww.markvarleyphoto.co.uk/temp/Image051.jpg
Idle curiosity is getting the better of me, anyone tell me what it is?

An AWS magnet, which stops the train if it passes a non-green signal
without the driver pushing a button to acknowledge it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automat...itish_Rail_AWS

To the left of it there may have been a TPWS grids, which do much the
same thing, but are more sophisticated:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Train_P...Warning_System

http://londonconnections.blogspot.com/
A blog about transport projects in London

Old March 3rd 08, 10:41 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 3 Mar 2008 03:13:33 -0800 (PST), Mr Thant
wrote this gibberish:

On 3 Mar, 10:47, MarkVarley - MVP
wrote:
Standing around waiting for a train I noticed thiswww.markvarleyphoto.co.uk/temp/Image051.jpg
Idle curiosity is getting the better of me, anyone tell me what it is?

An AWS magnet, which stops the train if it passes a non-green signal
without the driver pushing a button to acknowledge it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automat...itish_Rail_AWS

To the left of it there may have been a TPWS grids, which do much the
same thing, but are more sophisticated:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Train_P...Warning_System

Thanks for the info :-)
I didn't notice a grid but I'm there again tonight so will look, I
expect it's a similar setup in all stations anyway?

Old March 3rd 08, 02:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 3 Mar, 11:41, MarkVarley - MVP
wrote:
I didn't notice a grid but I'm there again tonight so will look, I
expect it's a similar setup in all stations anyway?

And almost all platforms have a signal at the end, and every signal
has an AWS ramp, so you should see them everywhere. TPWS has only been
fitted where there's a high-than-usual risk, but you see them quite
often in stations. They're used in termini to stop trains going too
fast towards the buffers, which AWS can't.