Old March 5th 08, 11:52 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default quiet stations

On 4 Mar, 18:53, Rupert Candy wrote:
On Mar 3, 10:06*pm, MIG wrote:

However, assuming that it counts as inner (should if some of those do)
I am pleased to see that the much-maligned St Johns isn't in the list.

Ah, the number of trains I've been on recently where the PIS proudly
displays "Calling at all stations via Lewisham EXCEPT St Johns", as if
its neglect is something to be proud of... :-P

Ravensbourne can't be far off that list, either.

St Johns would have been at No 34, Ravensbourne is counted as Outer
London, but would have come in at 32! So well done St. Johns,
everyone's favourite station! But if you want to talk about neglected
stations, then you should be looking at Grove Park, along with
Elmstead Woods, Chislehurst and the Bromley North branch. Half hourly
off peak service - pathetic!

MaxB

Old March 5th 08, 12:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On Mar 3, 10:06*pm, MIG wrote:

However, assuming that it counts as inner (should if some of those do)
I am pleased to see that the much-maligned St Johns isn't in the list.

Ah, the number of trains I've been on recently where the PIS proudly
displays "Calling at all stations via Lewisham EXCEPT St Johns", as if
its neglect is something to be proud of... :-P

Ravensbourne can't be far off that list, either.

St Johns would have been at No 34, Ravensbourne is counted as Outer
London, but would have come in at 32! So well done St. Johns,
everyone's favourite station! But if you want to talk about neglected
stations, then you should be looking at Grove Park, along with
Elmstead Woods, Chislehurst and the Bromley North branch. *Half hourly
off peak service - pathetic!

I don't think St Johns is really all that neglected. It's just that
it's a branch line station that happens to be on the main line.
Anyone who gets the same train every day which doesn't stop there says
"nothing stops at St Johns", but they don't say "nothing stops at
Crayford" if their regular train happens to go via Bexleyheath,
because they don't see Crayford.
Old March 5th 08, 01:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 5 Mar, 12:52, MaxB wrote:

St Johns would have been at No 34, Ravensbourne is counted as Outer
London, but would have come in at 32! So well done St. Johns,
everyone's favourite station! But if you want to talk about neglected
stations, then you should be looking at Grove Park, along with
Elmstead Woods, Chislehurst and the Bromley North branch. *Half hourly
off peak service - pathetic!

Emerson Park, on the Romford-Upminster push-pull, gets about the same
service.

Jonn
Old March 5th 08, 01:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 5 Mar, 14:30, wrote:

On 5 Mar, 12:52, MaxB wrote:

St Johns would have been at No 34, Ravensbourne is counted as Outer
London, but would have come in at 32! So well done St. Johns,
everyone's favourite station! But if you want to talk about neglected
stations, then you should be looking at Grove Park, along with
Elmstead Woods, Chislehurst and the Bromley North branch. Half hourly
off peak service - pathetic!

Emerson Park, on the Romford-Upminster push-pull, gets about the same
service.

There are several routes and stations in London with a half-hourly
service - e.g. the South London Line service (Victoria - London Bridge
via Peckham Rye), stations between Ravensbourne and Crofton Park,
Nunhead to Lewisham, stations on the Wimbledon - Sutton loop etc etc.

St Johns actually gets a pretty good service, at least 4tph.
Old March 5th 08, 04:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 5 Mar, 14:49, Mizter T wrote:
On 5 Mar, 14:30, wrote:

On 5 Mar, 12:52, MaxB wrote:

St Johns would have been at No 34, Ravensbourne is counted as Outer
London, but would have come in at 32! So well done St. Johns,
everyone's favourite station! But if you want to talk about neglected
stations, then you should be looking at Grove Park, along with
Elmstead Woods, Chislehurst and the Bromley North branch. *Half hourly
off peak service - pathetic!

Emerson Park, on the Romford-Upminster push-pull, gets about the same
service.

There are several routes and stations in London with a half-hourly
service - e.g. the South London Line service (Victoria - London Bridge
via Peckham Rye), stations between Ravensbourne and Crofton Park,
Nunhead to Lewisham, stations on the Wimbledon - Sutton loop etc etc.

St Johns actually gets a pretty good service, at least 4tph.

Indeed, better than Elmstead Woods, Chislehurst etc, but no one says
"nothing stops at ..." in relation to those, despite them being on the
main line.

I haven't been there for a while, but I had the impression that the St
Johns ticket office was tending to be better staffed these days as
well.

Old March 5th 08, 05:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 5 Mar, 14:49, Mizter T wrote:
On 5 Mar, 14:30, wrote:

On 5 Mar, 12:52, MaxB wrote:

St Johns would have been at No 34, Ravensbourne is counted as Outer
London, but would have come in at 32! So well done St. Johns,
everyone's favourite station! But if you want to talk about neglected
stations, then you should be looking at Grove Park, along with
Elmstead Woods, Chislehurst and the Bromley North branch. *Half hourly
off peak service - pathetic!

Emerson Park, on the Romford-Upminster push-pull, gets about the same
service.

There are several routes and stations in London with a half-hourly
service - e.g. the South London Line service (Victoria - London Bridge
via Peckham Rye), stations between Ravensbourne and Crofton Park,
Nunhead to Lewisham, stations on the Wimbledon - Sutton loop etc etc.

St Johns actually gets a pretty good service, at least 4tph.

St Johns (my local station!) also often has people hanging about for
the next train, because that frequency is rather irregular (two within
5 mins, then a half hour gap). It's also overlooked by houses, and
plenty of trains do go past!
Old March 5th 08, 05:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 5 Mar, 18:03, SamB wrote:
On 5 Mar, 14:49, Mizter T wrote:

On 5 Mar, 14:30, wrote:

On 5 Mar, 12:52, MaxB wrote:

[...]

The service from St Johns to Cannon Street is basically the same as
that from Lewisham to Charing Cross, ie they both have bunched trains
every half hour and twenty-odd minute gaps. Lewisham has other
services of course.

I wish someone would fix the timetabling so that the area didn't have
such big gaps between services which appear to have a good number of
tph.
Old March 5th 08, 06:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 5 Mar, 14:30, wrote:
On 5 Mar, 12:52, MaxB wrote:

St Johns would have been at No 34, Ravensbourne is counted as Outer
London, but would have come in at 32! So well done St. Johns,
everyone's favourite station! But if you want to talk about neglected
stations, then you should be looking at Grove Park, along with
Elmstead Woods, Chislehurst and the Bromley North branch. *Half hourly
off peak service - pathetic!

Emerson Park, on the Romford-Upminster push-pull, gets about the same
service.

Jonn

And reasonably so, since it barely registers on the passenger count
scale, fitting in on the list I gave earlier at No 4 ! Also, I assume,
it has no other trains passing through.

MaxB
Old March 5th 08, 06:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 3 Mar, 16:40, MarkVarley - MVP
wrote:
I'm looking for a very quiet station, one with very little people
traffic either late at night or weekends, somewhere on the tube
network or a rail station not too far out, this is for an informal
photoshoot for which it's best to not have numerous people around. so
any suggestions? somewhere on a little-used oddity of a branchline or
even a disused station that can still be accessed, I need tracks and
platform not too overgrown.

PS, I'm aware of the permissions system for photoshoots in such places
so no worries from that angle.

--
Mark.http://www.MarkVarleyPhoto.co.ukwww....fulBondage.net

By the way, this is where you can get the usage info I have been
quoting.

http://www.rail-reg.gov.uk/server/show/nav.1529

Doesn't say how weedy the place is however

MaxB
Old March 5th 08, 07:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 5 Mar 2008 11:45:58 -0800 (PST), MaxB
wrote this gibberish:

On 3 Mar, 16:40, MarkVarley - MVP
wrote:
I'm looking for a very quiet station, one with very little people
traffic either late at night or weekends, somewhere on the tube
network or a rail station not too far out, this is for an informal
photoshoot for which it's best to not have numerous people around. so
any suggestions? somewhere on a little-used oddity of a branchline or
even a disused station that can still be accessed, I need tracks and
platform not too overgrown.

PS, I'm aware of the permissions system for photoshoots in such places
so no worries from that angle.

--
Mark.http://www.MarkVarleyPhoto.co.ukwww....fulBondage.net

By the way, this is where you can get the usage info I have been
quoting.

http://www.rail-reg.gov.uk/server/show/nav.1529

Doesn't say how weedy the place is however

MaxB

I'll take a look :-)

--
Mark.
www.MarkVarleyPhoto.co.uk

quiet time for London transport? Martin Petrov[_2_] London Transport 18 May 8th 11 01:26 PM
The quiet skies over London town Mizter T London Transport 52 April 19th 10 06:24 PM
London Black Cabbies learning to keep quiet, but... redcat London Transport 14 March 8th 10 09:04 PM
Quiet Basil Jet London Transport 15 November 16th 09 12:02 PM
New Abbreviation for two LU stations. Mitdish London Transport 0 July 20th 03 07:44 PM