Old March 3rd 08, 03:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default quiet stations

I'm looking for a very quiet station, one with very little people
traffic either late at night or weekends, somewhere on the tube
network or a rail station not too far out, this is for an informal
photoshoot for which it's best to not have numerous people around. so
any suggestions? somewhere on a little-used oddity of a branchline or
even a disused station that can still be accessed, I need tracks and
platform not too overgrown.

PS, I'm aware of the permissions system for photoshoots in such places
so no worries from that angle.

--
Mark.
www.MarkVarleyPhoto.co.uk

Old March 3rd 08, 04:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 3 Mar 2008, MarkVarley - MVP wrote:

I'm looking for a very quiet station, one with very little people
traffic either late at night or weekends, somewhere on the tube network
or a rail station not too far out, this is for an informal photoshoot
for which it's best to not have numerous people around. so any
suggestions? somewhere on a little-used oddity of a branchline or even a
disused station that can still be accessed, I need tracks and platform
not too overgrown.

Does it need to be underground? If not, Mill Hill East? If so, Lambeth
North?

tom

--
this place would be a paradise tomorrow if every department had a
supervisor with a sub-machine gun
Old March 3rd 08, 04:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 03 Mar 2008 16:40:38 +0000, MarkVarley - MVP
wrote:

I'm looking for a very quiet station, one with very little people
traffic either late at night or weekends, somewhere on the tube
network or a rail station not too far out, this is for an informal
photoshoot for which it's best to not have numerous people around. so
any suggestions? somewhere on a little-used oddity of a branchline or
even a disused station that can still be accessed, I need tracks and
platform not too overgrown.

One of your soft-porn projects? May I suggest Newbury Park
underground station? About 6.30 any weekday evening would be good for
me.

PS, I'm aware of the permissions system for photoshoots in such places
so no worries from that angle.

You know usenet, don't you? :-) Without that, you'd have attracted
hundreds of self-appointed lawyers, all of whom would forget to answer
the actual question.
Old March 3rd 08, 05:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

MarkVarley - MVP wrote:
I'm looking for a very quiet station, one with very little people
traffic either late at night or weekends, somewhere on the tube
network or a rail station not too far out, this is for an informal
photoshoot for which it's best to not have numerous people around.
so any suggestions? somewhere on a little-used oddity of a
branchline or even a disused station that can still be accessed, I
need tracks and platform not too overgrown.

Platform "0" at Southall. It's the disused face of the island platform
that includes Platform 1 on the down main Great Western. As trains pass
Platform 1 at 125 mph, it's not quiet sound-wise, but there are normally
no passengers on that island at any time of day or night as no trains
stop there. Platform 0 has the occasional freight train; the track is
in good condition and the platform mostly so. If you're interested, I
can send you some photos I took about a year ago.
--
Richard J.

Old March 3rd 08, 06:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 3 Mar, 16:40, MarkVarley - MVP
wrote:
I'm looking for a very quiet station, one with very little people
traffic either late at night or weekends, somewhere on the tube
network or a rail station not too far out, this is for an informal
photoshoot for which it's best to not have numerous people around. so
any suggestions? somewhere on a little-used oddity of a branchline or
even a disused station that can still be accessed, I need tracks and
platform not too overgrown.

PS, I'm aware of the permissions system for photoshoots in such places
so no worries from that angle.

--
Mark.http://www.MarkVarleyPhoto.co.ukwww....fulBondage.net

Looking at the station useage figures (05-06), for inner London
stations, you could try any of the following - least used first -
depending on where you are and how brave you feel:

SILVERTOWN&LONDON CI
WOODGRANGE PARK
WANSTEAD PARK
HARRINGAY GREEN LANE
SOUTH TOTTENHAM
CAMBRIDGE HEATH
CROUCH HILL
SOUTH HAMPSTEAD
UPPER HOLLOWAY
LONDON FIELDS
CANNING TOWN
KILBURN HIGH ROAD
CUSTOM HOUSE LONDON
NORTHUMBERLAND PARK
WANDSWORTH ROAD LOND
HACKNEY WICK
STAMFORD HILL
CLAPHAM HIGH STREET
ESSEX ROAD
DRAYTON PARK

MaxB

Old March 3rd 08, 06:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 3 Mar, 19:30, MaxB wrote:
On 3 Mar, 16:40, MarkVarley - MVP
wrote:

[...]

I wouldn't head to the National Rail platforms at Canning Town, Custom
House or Silvertown if I were you... the line between Stratford and
North Woolwich closed at the end of 2006.
Old March 3rd 08, 07:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 3 Mar, 19:42, Mizter T wrote:
On 3 Mar, 19:30, MaxB wrote:

On 3 Mar, 16:40, MarkVarley - MVP
wrote:

[...]

North Woolwich closed at the end of 2006.- Hide quoted text -

So they should be very quiet!

MaxB
Old March 3rd 08, 07:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 03 Mar 2008 16:40:38 +0000, MarkVarley - MVP wrote:

I'm looking for a very quiet station, one with very little people
traffic either late at night or weekends, somewhere on the tube
network or a rail station not too far out, this is for an informal
photoshoot for which it's best to not have numerous people around. so
any suggestions? somewhere on a little-used oddity of a branchline or
even a disused station that can still be accessed, I need tracks and
platform not too overgrown.

PS, I'm aware of the permissions system for photoshoots in such places
so no worries from that angle.

I'd suggest the least-served stations in London, Sudbury & Harrow Road
and/or Sudbury Hill Harrow. Both have no evening or weekend train
service (and precious few trains during a weekday), and are completely
unstaffed, so there should be no one around to bother you. AFAIK
there's no physical way for the stations to be locked, so you should
have no trouble gaining access. S&HR is high up on a viaduct with no
buildings, so you should get good light. SHH is in a cutting and a
little more secluded.

You could also try South Greenford or Castle Bar Park, which have no
evening or Sunday service, though off the top of my head I don't know
whether they might be locked.

By the way, if you use any of the suggestions from the group, posting
links to some of the pics would be appreciated
Old March 3rd 08, 09:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On Mar 3, 7:30*pm, MaxB wrote:

Mark.http://www.MarkVarleyPhoto.co.ukwww....ww.TwistedArts....

[...]

I don't trust station usage figures for a moment, because they are
used to claim that stations at which one can't buy tickets and no one
is there to count the users of can be closed due to lack of demand.

My answer to the original question would have been "all railway
stations in London are popular and vibrant and should not be closed".

However, assuming that it counts as inner (should if some of those do)
I am pleased to see that the much-maligned St Johns isn't in the list.
Old March 3rd 08, 09:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 3 Mar, 20:20, MaxB wrote:
On 3 Mar, 19:42, Mizter T wrote:

(snip)

I wouldn't head to the National Rail platforms at Canning Town, Custom
House or Silvertown if I were you... the line between Stratford and
North Woolwich closed at the end of 2006.

So they should be very quiet!

MaxB

All inaccessible at the mo - though I guess you could climb over the
walls at Silvertown and even North Woolwich.

The last time I went past work hadn't got under way but the line at
Canning Town is to be converted to a new branch of the DLR, so that'll
be noisy.

And the line through Silvertown will become part of Crossrail - and
the Crossrail works depot will be very near the North Woolwich
platforms - so when that gets under way things will be a little less
tranquil!

quiet time for London transport? Martin Petrov[_2_] London Transport 18 May 8th 11 01:26 PM
The quiet skies over London town Mizter T London Transport 52 April 19th 10 06:24 PM
London Black Cabbies learning to keep quiet, but... redcat London Transport 14 March 8th 10 09:04 PM
Quiet Basil Jet London Transport 15 November 16th 09 12:02 PM
New Abbreviation for two LU stations. Mitdish London Transport 0 July 20th 03 07:44 PM