Old March 6th 10, 06:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default London Black Cabbies learning to keep quiet, but...

Just saw the article about London Black cab drivers being taught new
skills including when to give their fares quiet space. Head of taxi
regulation, Mr Mason told the FT: "It's a world-renowned service. The
drivers are always perceived to be some of the great characters you come
across in London.”

I beg to disagree. Characters, yes. But not greatest. I have a huge beef
with London cabbies. They are rude drivers. I used to think they have
eye problems until I found that they brake and give way to their own,
but not to pedestrians, even when the pedestrian is in the right (or in
danger of being knocked down).

I take cabs when I need them. But, you know, I'd *support* them if they
would learn to be more gentle, careful drivers. It's a crowded city, the
Black Cabbies are not the kings of the road and should not act that way.

Old March 6th 10, 08:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , redcat
writes
Just saw the article about London Black cab drivers being taught new
skills including when to give their fares quiet space. Head of taxi
regulation, Mr Mason told the FT: "It's a world-renowned service. The
drivers are always perceived to be some of the great characters you
come across in London.â€

This was a misquote by the paper. Here is a message direct from John
Mason, head of TfL's Taxi and Private Hire Licensing

----------------------
Some key facts

The FT approached TfL as they were doing and article about the taxi
trade and the competition from private hire.

I gave them a short interview. During the interview I said we would be
looking at additional training that perhaps could be required during the
Knowledge

I suggested that perhaps TfL could do more to prepare drivers for when
they go out into the streets and start working. It's something many
people in the trade have suggested to me that we SHOULD be doing now.

We interact with drivers for a good few years, there are opportunities
for us to help them prepare for work, be it customer service training,
disabled passenger awareness or smarter driving techniques.

One thing I have been hearing loud and clear in my first six months is
that TfL should do more to help the cab trade. I am considering anything
that might do that.

Thats what I told the FT, they chose to report in the way they did.
Alas, I dont have editorial rights over such articles.

---------------

I beg to disagree. Characters, yes. But not greatest. I have a huge
beef with London cabbies. They are rude drivers. I used to think they
have eye problems until I found that they brake and give way to their
own, but not to pedestrians, even when the pedestrian is in the right
(or in danger of being knocked down).

Can you tell us just what you are comparing the cab drivers to? Have you
travelled extensively? How do they compare with New York, Calcutta,
Moscow or Tokyo for example?

I take cabs when I need them.

And do you want the taxi to get you there quickly or sit patiently in
traffic letting all and sundry pass in front of you while you sit and
watch the meter tick up?

But, you know, I'd *support* them if they would learn to be more
gentle, careful drivers. It's a crowded city, the Black Cabbies are not
the kings of the road and should not act that way.

Have you any experience of driving in London that you would like to
share with the rest of us? Perhaps you'd like to detail that then, if
it's relevant you can show me and my fellow taxi drivers exactly how
*you* think the job should be done.

When you've detailed your experience I'll let you know just where I was
trained and to what level. (hint: Hendon)

--
Mike Hughes
at home in Tarring, West Sussex, England
Old March 7th 10, 12:50 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 6 Mar 2010, Mike Hughes wrote:

When you've detailed your experience I'll let you know just where I was
trained and to what level. (hint: Hendon)

Bloody hell, you're a cabbie *and* a rozzer? With people skills like that,
you should consider a job as Prime Minister.

tom

--
It is a formal cultural policy to show unreasonable bias towards any
woman who is both attractive and weird.
Old March 7th 10, 02:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message . li, Tom
Anderson writes

When you've detailed your experience I'll let you know just where I
was trained and to what level. (hint: Hendon)

Bloody hell, you're a cabbie *and* a rozzer? With people skills like
that, you should consider a job as Prime Minister.

I'm sure Mike didn't say (or imply) that; just the level of training
that he's experienced.
Old March 7th 10, 02:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Mike Hughes wrote:
In message , redcat
writes
[...]

Driving in in London, or just about anywhere in the UK is a horror.
That's a given. And what I said before covers everything I wanted to
say. The BC drivers do not drive safely. I find when I'm at a small
crossing where there is no light if it's me or the BC, the BC will be
aggressive.

Please don't use that tired old saw about getting the passenger there on
time and not lest the meter tick up. That's BS and you know it. If
you're so concerned about the passenger's cost then lower the fares. And
I'm not talking about the rest of the planet. I'm talking about one
thing only, the subject of the article: black cabs.

Thanks for the actual quote. So he never said anything to the paper
about "great characters"? Then I'll stop right there. I wouldn't have
said a word if not for that description.

Imagine the FT coming up with a British Tourist Board line like that!

Old March 7th 10, 02:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

redcat wrote:

I used to think they
have eye problems until I found that they brake and give way to their
own, but not to pedestrians, even when the pedestrian is in the right
(or in danger of being knocked down).

Most people walking across a pedestrian crossing who see a car coming will
keep their eye on the car just in case it tries to run them over, whereas if
they see a taxi coming they have peace of mind and look away. This
contradicts your comments.

--
We are the Strasbourg. Referendum is futile.

Old March 7th 10, 06:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Basil Jet wrote:
redcat wrote:
I used to think they
have eye problems until I found that they brake and give way to their
own, but not to pedestrians, even when the pedestrian is in the right
(or in danger of being knocked down).

Most people walking across a pedestrian crossing who see a car coming will
keep their eye on the car just in case it tries to run them over, whereas if
they see a taxi coming they have peace of mind and look away. This
contradicts your comments.

Guess I'm not "most people".

Have you interviewed people on this?
Old March 7th 10, 06:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Basil Jet wrote:
redcat wrote:
I used to think they
have eye problems until I found that they brake and give way to their
own, but not to pedestrians, even when the pedestrian is in the right
(or in danger of being knocked down).

Most people walking across a pedestrian crossing who see a car coming will
keep their eye on the car just in case it tries to run them over, whereas if
they see a taxi coming they have peace of mind and look away.

I think they're just trying to avoid eye contact with you, Basil :-)
Old March 7th 10, 07:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Steve Fitzgerald
] writes
In message . li, Tom
Anderson writes

When you've detailed your experience I'll let you know just where I
was trained and to what level. (hint: Hendon)

Bloody hell, you're a cabbie *and* a rozzer? With people skills like
that, you should consider a job as Prime Minister.

I'm sure Mike didn't say (or imply) that; just the level of training
that he's experienced.

No, but he is right :-)

Old March 8th 10, 08:32 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"redcat" wrote in message
m...

I'm not talking about the rest of the planet. I'm talking about one thing
only, the subject of the article: black cabs.

In the main, black cab drivers - and in particular the younger ones - are
rude, ignorant and unhelpful. I've lost count of the number of times I've
seen one sit behind his wheel smirking while an elderly man or woman
struggles to load a suitcase into the cab. I've never seen that happen in
any other country.

They are also appallingly aggressive drivers who have never knowingly let
anyone pull out in front of them, or given way to another vehicle if they
haven't had to.

On the other hand, some are a delight. I had one yesterday going from Baker
Street to Swiss Cottage - lovely old guy who took the time to explain to me
why he was going a slightly longer route (to avoid road works).

Ian