Old March 7th 08, 07:15 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default What is the French for Oops?

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/news/def...ticle_id=39018
quote

Eurostar train fails to stop at Ebbsfleet.
by Suzy Shanley Gravesend Messenger
FIRST it was potential customers who could not find Ebbsfleet
International Station.

Now it is Eurostar drivers themselves who are apparently having
problems pinpointing its location.

For one sped through north Kent’s international station leaving
passengers stranded on the platform.

One couple’s plans for a day trip to Paris went off the rails after
the 12.45pm train sped past without stopping last Thursday.

Gavin Meeser, 60, of North Road, Cliffe, near Rochester, said they
could do nothing but watch as their transport to France whizzed past.

"We heard that a signalman had forgotten to tell the driver to stop at
Ebbsfleet," he said.

"The next train was at 1.15pm, but we had to get off at Lille and wait
another 15 minutes before we could get the next train to Paris.

"We only arrived about 45 minutes late in the end, but as we were only
going for a few hours anyway, it did affect our day."

A spokesman for Eurostar said: "The train was supposed to stop at
Ebbsfleet but it was wrongly entered in the system and it didn’t -
this is very rare."
unquote

As long as they remember to stop at Saint Pancras.

Old March 7th 08, 08:09 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mar 7, 8:15 am, Mwmbwls wrote:
"We heard that a signalman had forgotten to tell the driver to stop at
Ebbsfleet," he said.

I find it impossible to believe that the drivers don't know in advance
the stops on their route. I hope the driver got a dressing down.

B2003

Old March 7th 08, 04:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mar 7, 4:47*pm, wrote:

Merde?-

Close but no I think that is French for poops.

Old March 7th 08, 05:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 7 Mar 2008 09:36:23 -0800 (PST), Mwmbwls
wrote:

On Mar 7, 4:47*pm, wrote:

Merde?-

Close but no I think that is French for poops.

Rolls eyes upwards and sighs deeply...

Old March 7th 08, 08:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
, at
09:36:23 on Fri, 7 Mar 2008, Mwmbwls
remarked:

No ****, Sherlock ;-)
Old March 7th 08, 10:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 7 Mar, 17:36, Mwmbwls wrote:
On Mar 7, 4:47 pm, wrote:

Merde?-

Close but no I think that is French for poops.

Poops?
Old March 8th 08, 02:23 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:
In message
,

No ****, Cherbourg!

Old March 8th 08, 12:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 7 Mar 2008, Mwmbwls wrote:

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/news/def...ticle_id=39018

As long as they remember to stop at Saint Pancras.

Oh, they'll be stopped there alright - St Pancras is their Waterloo.

tom

--
Big Bang. No god. Fadeout. End. -- Stephen Baxter
Old March 8th 08, 03:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 8 Mar 2008 13:40:50 +0000, Tom Anderson
wrote:

On Fri, 7 Mar 2008, Mwmbwls wrote:

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/news/def...ticle_id=39018

As long as they remember to stop at Saint Pancras.

Oh, they'll be stopped there alright - St Pancras is their Waterloo.

tom

Well, it goes against the grain but to answer the OP's question
sensibly, a couple of possibilities would be:

'Zut' or 'Zut Alors'. (Dash)

'Houp' or 'Hop là' might also be appropriate.

'Nom d'un chien' ~= 'Merde' but for more staid folk.

Even 'Oups!' if you're Canadian French