Old February 15th 06, 07:57 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport.london

Default Oops!

I'm only an occasional cyclist (Brompton owner) who is usually
infuriated with cyclist who get the rest of us a bad name and motorists
who don't regard (properly behanved0 cyclists as "traffic".

Well, I developed an interesting angle on this yesterday when - as a
pedestrian in Piccadilly - I managed to get knocked down by a cyclist.
With a number of other people I was crossing a side street at a green
pelican crossing on (pedestrian) green. Motor traffic had been stopped
for some time.

A cyclist apparently came past all the queuing traffic and simply
ploughed through the red light while the crowd were crossing and
happened to hit me. I'm not hurt (I managed to get straight up and I
was surprised at just how many passers by stopped to help) but after
yelling "tosser", presumably at me, she just cycled off. This wasn't
some speeding child or youth but an older woman with helmet and yellow
jacket

Oh well, at least it wasn't a car or lorry.......
--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK

http://www.bluebadge.demon.co.uk

Old February 15th 06, 09:26 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport.london

In message , Ian Jelf
writes

A cyclist apparently came past all the queuing traffic and simply
ploughed through the red light while the crowd were crossing and
happened to hit me. I'm not hurt (I managed to get straight up and I
was surprised at just how many passers by stopped to help) but after
yelling "tosser", presumably at me, she just cycled off. This wasn't
some speeding child or youth but an older woman with helmet and yellow
jacket

From my experience as a cyclist in London I know that very few cyclists
stop for pedestrian crossings or red lights (apart from when the passing
traffic is too heavy to weave through, or they've spotted a policeman).
Often they barrel through at high speed and any collision with me would
have serious consequences. For this reason I try to make sure there is
absolutely nothing coming when as a pedestrian I need to cross the road.

I've also noticed that age or lack of lycra is no indication as to
whether these cyclists will ignore signals.

--
congokid
Good restaurants in London? Read my tips...
Old February 15th 06, 10:00 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport.london

"Ian Jelf" wrote in message
[...]

Was she listening to an ipod?

Old February 15th 06, 10:08 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport.london

congokid wrote:

From my experience as a cyclist in London I know that very few
cyclists stop for pedestrian crossings or red lights (apart from when
the passing traffic is too heavy to weave through, or they've spotted
a policeman). Often they barrel through at high speed and any
collision with me would have serious consequences. For this reason I
try to make sure there is absolutely nothing coming when as a
pedestrian I need to cross the road.

As a fellow cyclist, who is disgusted by the arrogant behaviour of this
minority who are bringing us all into disrepute and risking regulatory
consequences for us all, when I'm in a similar position I generally
anticipate the worst and time my crossing carefully. Once the approaching
cyclist has committed to their path I change my step and try and make sure
that I barrel into the side of them as they pass - keeping clear of
handlebars and pedals - and knocking them flying instead. It's very
satisfying, especially knowing that legally they haven't got a leg to stand
on (so to speak). On a couple of occasions they've ended up sprawled on the
road with everyone laughing at them, their dignity destroyed. With a bit of
luck they'll think twice next time before trying to intimidate pedestrians.
I always pay heed to the road signals, don't cycle on footpaths or against
the flow of one way traffic (I get off and walk) and so forth - they can
bloody well do the same. Being 6' 5" and 15 stone none of my "victims" have
had the temerity to challenge me yet and having jumped red lights and
accidentally collided with a legally crossing pedestrian they would be hard
pressed to do very much. It's all in the observation and the timing. ;-)

Old February 15th 06, 10:13 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport.london

Jack Taylor wrote:

Once the approaching
cyclist has committed to their path I change my step and try and make sure
that I barrel into the side of them as they pass - keeping clear of
handlebars and pedals - and knocking them flying instead. It's very
satisfying, especially knowing that legally they haven't got a leg to stand
on (so to speak). On a couple of occasions they've ended up sprawled on the
road with everyone laughing at them, their dignity destroyed.

While they're on the floor ask for their name and address and tell them
they'll be hearing from your solicitor - nothing like kicking someone
while they're down (not literally though because I guess that would be
assault).

If only your style would also work on car drivers who do the same...

peter

Old February 15th 06, 10:15 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport.london
d d is offline

"Jack Taylor" wrote in message
congokid wrote:

From my experience as a cyclist in London I know that very few
[...]

I like your style! :-P

From what I've seen, it's not a minority of cyclists who do this, but a
majority. At least where I see them, that is, which is from Islington to
the centre. Occasionally you do see a sensible cyclist waiting out a red
light, but it really doesn't happen that often. Usually they'll bump up
onto the pavement, ride to the pedestrian crossing, cross, then bump back
down.

I've also noticed an increase in cyclists riding past busses with people
getting on/off, between the bus and the curb. Having a bemused cyclist
staring at you with a look of complete confusion mixed with rage, simply
because you got off a bus at a bus stop, is quite entertaining.

dave

Old February 15th 06, 10:20 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport.london

naked_draughtsman ) gurgled happily, sounding
much like they were saying :

If only your style would also work on car drivers who do the same...

Oh, it does.

I find a good hard open-palm slap onto a window or door of a car sailing
across the ped x-ing usually gets an entertainingly abrupt emergency stop
and panicked expression...

I have to admit, I didn't try it on the Police Volvo that did it to me a
while back, though...
Old February 15th 06, 11:02 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport.london

In uk.rec.cycling Ian Jelf twisted the electrons to say:
but after yelling "tosser", presumably at me, she just cycled off.

Does the "failure to stop at the scene of an accident" offence only apply
to motor vehicles, or can cyclists[1] be done for it as well?

[1] and horse riders too come to think of it?
Old February 15th 06, 11:49 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport.london

I've also noticed an increase in cyclists riding past busses with
people getting on/off, between the bus and the curb. Having a bemused
cyclist staring at you with a look of complete confusion mixed with
rage, simply because you got off a bus at a bus stop, is quite
entertaining.

IME it usually it happens when the bus cuts the cyclist up on the way to
the bus stop. Quite why some cyclists continue to whizz along when they
know people are going to hop off beggars belief.
Old February 15th 06, 12:14 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport.london

Adrian wrote:

naked_draughtsman ) gurgled happily, sounding
much like they were saying :

If only your style would also work on car drivers who do the same...

Oh, it does.

I find a good hard open-palm slap onto a window or door of a car sailing
across the ped x-ing usually gets an entertainingly abrupt emergency stop
and panicked expression...

Or the emergence of a foul-mouthed yob waving a baseball bat :-(

John B