Old March 12th 08, 05:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Battersea Bridge Road

On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 14:28:05 +0000, Edward Cowling London UK
wrote:

Mind you Lord Archer lives in a tower block in SE11 which must be worth
several million, but I'm darned if I'd want to live in SE11 :-)

SW11 surely if you're referring to Battersea?
--
Paul C

Old March 12th 08, 06:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

wrote:
Mind you Lord Archer lives in a tower block in SE11 which must be worth
several million, but I'm darned if I'd want to live in SE11 :-)

SW11 surely if you're referring to Battersea?

I'm away from my maps, but I think they border each other. SE11 would
be based on Kennington I think, alphabetically (SE9 Eltham, SE10
Greenwich, SE11 Kennington, SE12 Lee, SE13 Lewisham ...)
Old March 12th 08, 10:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

MIG wrote:
I'm away from my maps, but I think they border each other. SE11 would
be based on Kennington I think, alphabetically (SE9 Eltham, SE10
Greenwich, SE11 Kennington, SE12 Lee, SE13 Lewisham ...)

SE11 is Kennington, yes, but SW8 (Stockwell) is in between that and Battersea.

Kake

Old March 12th 08, 07:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Paul Corfield
writes

SW11 surely if you're referring to Battersea?

Edward was referring to Vauxhall, which comes under SE11 (Kennington
postal area). It is adjacent to SW11 (which is Battersea).

The way that London postal district numbers developed has a strange
logic, largely based on the location of head sorting offices (and the
whims of Anthony Trollope).
--
Paul Terry
Old March 13th 08, 10:59 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Terry wrote

Edward was referring to Vauxhall, which comes under SE11 (Kennington
postal area). It is adjacent to SW11 (which is Battersea).

The way that London postal district numbers developed has a strange
logic, largely based on the location of head sorting offices (and the

whims of Anthony Trollope).

Possibly, but blaming someone who died in 1882 when postal district
numbers didn't become part of postal addresses until 1932 or so seems
more legend than fact.

And indeed SW8 (Nine Elms) lies between SW11 and SE11 so they are not
adjacent.

--
Mike D

Old March 13th 08, 04:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message 01c884ac$c18c5520$LocalHost@default, Michael R N Dolbear
writes

Possibly, but blaming someone who died in 1882 when postal district
numbers didn't become part of postal addresses until 1932 or so seems
more legend than fact.

Well, it was Trollope who got the original Southern postal area removed,
resulting in Vauxhall becoming part of the SE London postal area in
1868. It became SE11 around 1917 and that was retained when postcodes
were introduced in the 1970s. So, while I wouldn't blame Trollope for
the subsequent retention of the anomaly, it all resulted from his
original recommendation.
--
Paul Terry