Old March 10th 08, 10:35 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Battersea Bridge Road

I've got to get to that void in the London Transport system called
Battersea tomorrow. I'm travelling in from North London, so I can grab
the Piccadilly or Victoria lines, but no tube stations seem within miles
of it.

Is there a decent bus connection with any tube station ?

I need to get to Battersea Bridge Road in SW11

--
Edward Cowling "Must go - Another Year Another Sheet Change !"

Old March 10th 08, 11:07 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Edward Cowling London UK wrote:

I've got to get to that void in the London Transport system called
Battersea tomorrow.

Well, apart from the busiest train station in the UK :-) But there's no
tube stations, no.

I'm travelling in from North London, so I can grab
the Piccadilly or Victoria lines, but no tube stations seem within miles
of it.

Is there a decent bus connection with any tube station ?

I need to get to Battersea Bridge Road in SW11

How about: Victoria line to Vauxhall. Short overground train to Clapham
Junction and then jump on a bus from there? There's several routes that
go to Battersea Bridge Road.

--
Paul
Old March 10th 08, 12:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Edward Cowling London UK wrote:
I've got to get to that void in the London Transport system called
Battersea tomorrow. I'm travelling in from North London, so I can grab
the Piccadilly or Victoria lines, but no tube stations seem within
miles of it.

Is there a decent bus connection with any tube station ?

I need to get to Battersea Bridge Road in SW11

As opposed to one of the other Battersea Bridge Roads? ;-)

Bus 49 or 345 from stop G in Thurloe St outside South Ken.

Old March 10th 08, 12:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , John Rowland
writes
Edward Cowling London UK wrote:
I've got to get to that void in the London Transport system called
Battersea tomorrow. I'm travelling in from North London, so I can grab
the Piccadilly or Victoria lines, but no tube stations seem within
miles of it.

Is there a decent bus connection with any tube station ?

I need to get to Battersea Bridge Road in SW11

As opposed to one of the other Battersea Bridge Roads? ;-)

Bus 49 or 345 from stop G in Thurloe St outside South Ken.

Ahh thanks. I was going to head for South Ken and black cab it, but
that's an arm and a leg these days.

--
Edward Cowling "Must go - Another Year Another Sheet Change !"

Old March 10th 08, 01:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Edward Cowling London UK wrote:

Ahh thanks. I was going to head for South Ken and black cab it, but
that's an arm and a leg these days.

Weekdays before 8pm, taxis cost about 2 quid to climb in plus 2 quid a mile.
So 6 or 7 quid from South Ken, or 4 or 5 quid from Clapham Junction. If it's
the evening rush hour, the trip from South Ken might cost more.

Old March 12th 08, 09:38 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 10 Mar, 12:07, Paul wrote:

Edward Cowling London UK wrote:

I've got to get to that void in the London Transport system called
Battersea tomorrow.

Well, apart from the busiest train station in the UK :-) But there's no
tube stations, no.

For those who are baffled by this, Clapham Junction is of course
actually in Battersea, not Clapham!

I'm travelling in from North London, so I can grab

the Piccadilly or Victoria lines, but no tube stations seem within miles
of it.
Is there a decent bus connection with any tube station ?

I need to get to Battersea Bridge Road in SW11

How about: Victoria line to Vauxhall. Short overground train to Clapham
Junction and then jump on a bus from there? There's several routes that
go to Battersea Bridge Road.

Or the Victoria line to Victoria, then a mainline train from Victoria
to Clapham Junction (there are trains every 5 minutes).

Alternatively take the Victoria line to Vauxhall, then the 344 bus to
the bottom of Battersea Bridge Road - the bus goes along east-west
Battersea Park Road, then a short walk up the road (or jump on a
passing bus). The journey on the 344 from Vauxhall will take less than
15 minutes off-peak, and the service runs frequently.

Battersea really isn't that hard to get to!
Old March 12th 08, 11:33 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
,
Mizter T writes
passing bus). The journey on the 344 from Vauxhall will take less than
15 minutes off-peak, and the service runs frequently.

Battersea really isn't that hard to get to!

It's the haven of the cheap office crowd. Courier companies and
Telesales, and all because it's transport blighted. Put a decent tube
link in and the area would blossom. In the ends it took me 2 hours to
get from Palmers Green to Battersea Bridge. I may have been unlucky,
but no one is going to do that twice a day out of choice.

--
Edward Cowling "Must go - Another Year Another Sheet Change !"

Old March 12th 08, 12:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Edward Cowling
London UK writes

Put a decent tube link in and the area would blossom.

Crikey ... the average house price in Battersea is already over 750,000
UKP - just think would a tube would do for the estate agents!

--
Paul Terry
Old March 12th 08, 01:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Paul Terry
writes
In message , Edward Cowling
London UK writes

Put a decent tube link in and the area would blossom.

Crikey ... the average house price in Battersea is already over 750,000
UKP - just think would a tube would do for the estate agents!

Give over ! There are boarded up shops & buildings just on the South
Side of Battersea Bridge.

Mind you Lord Archer lives in a tower block in SE11 which must be worth
several million, but I'm darned if I'd want to live in SE11 :-)

--
Edward Cowling "Must go - Another Year Another Sheet Change !"

Old March 12th 08, 04:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Edward Cowling
London UK writes

In message , Paul Terry
writes

Crikey ... the average house price in Battersea is already over
750,000 UKP - just think would a tube would do for the estate agents!

Give over !

No kidding. And that's the average for all properties. The average for
detached houses is now over one million. See sites such as:

http://www.home.co.uk/guides/sold_ho...01& year=2008

There are boarded up shops & buildings just on the South Side of
Battersea Bridge.

Yes, but Battersea is a good deal more than just Battersea Bridge Road -
the new riverside properties are very expensive, as are the Victorian
houses inhabited by the likes of Ian Hislop, Nick Ross, Jack Dee and
others.

Mind you Lord Archer lives in a tower block in SE11 which must be worth
several million

A good deal more than that, I suspect. There's a small two-bedroom flat
in the same block currently on the market for 3.5 million if you are
interested ...

but I'm darned if I'd want to live in SE11 :-)

Ah, perhaps not then.

--
Paul Terry