Old March 24th 08, 09:26 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default StP retail fit-out - still a work in progress

On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 11:36:19 +0000, Roland Perry
wrote:

There's an M&S near me, about the same size as the one in The Circle,
and it's approx 25% "housewares and clothes", and the rest is food. Such
stores aren't new, there was one just like it at least 12 years ago in
Surbiton (near the A3, not the station).

As menfioned elsewhere in the thread, this is the one in Tolworth
Tower, overlooking the A3? I've been in it several times, though
quite a few years ago, and remember it being as you've described.
Interesting to see at http://www.hidden-london.com/tolworth.html that
when it opened - as a Fine Fare - in the 1960s it was the biggest
supermarket in Southern England. M & S took over the site sometime in
the second half of the 1980s.

Martin

Old March 24th 08, 10:18 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , at 10:26:56 on
Mon, 24 Mar 2008, Martin Rich remarked:
There's an M&S near me, about the same size as the one in The Circle,
and it's approx 25% "housewares and clothes", and the rest is food. Such
stores aren't new, there was one just like it at least 12 years ago in
Surbiton (near the A3, not the station).

As menfioned elsewhere in the thread, this is the one in Tolworth
Tower, overlooking the A3?

Recently sold to the same people as own Centre Point.

I've been in it several times, though quite a few years ago, and
remember it being as you've described.

That's the one.

Interesting to see at http://www.hidden-london.com/tolworth.html that
when it opened - as a Fine Fare -

I wonder if that historical usage was why M&S carried on selling mainly
food?

in the 1960s it was the biggest supermarket in Southern England.

Not just biggest, must have been (that long ago) one of the first.

ASDA quote 1963 (Queens in Leeds) as their first, with what's my local
ASDA being their first superstore (80,000 sq ft) in 1965 which they
claim broke the mould of 10-20k sq ft high street supermarkets.
Old March 24th 08, 11:13 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , Roland Perry
writes

Not just biggest, must have been (that long ago) one of the first.
ASDA quote 1963 (Queens in Leeds) as their first,

Beaten by Tesco, who already had a chain of several hundred stores by
1963. Their first actual supermarket was 1956, although they were
operating self-service shops as early as 1947 (and more conventional
retail outlets since soon after the first world war).
--
Paul Terry
Old March 24th 08, 03:16 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Beaten by Tesco, who already had a chain of several hundred stores by
1963. Their first actual supermarket was 1956, although they were
operating self-service shops as early as 1947 (and more conventional
retail outlets since soon after the first world war).

Am I right in thinking that the St Albans Tesco was their first self-service
store?

LEWIS

Old March 24th 08, 05:28 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , at 16:16:41 on Mon, 24 Mar 2008, Lew
1 remarked:
Beaten by Tesco, who already had a chain of several hundred stores by
1963. Their first actual supermarket was 1956, although they were
operating self-service shops as early as 1947 (and more conventional
retail outlets since soon after the first world war).

Am I right in thinking that the St Albans Tesco was their first self-service
store?

In 1947 it is claimed. But as their first self-service supermarket was
apparently in Maldon in 1956 I'm struggling to understand what separates
a shop from a supermarket (given that in the 60's many so-called
supermarkets were very small with maybe only two tills, like a modern
convenience store).

Old March 24th 08, 06:59 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , Roland Perry
writes

In message , at 16:16:41 on Mon, 24 Mar 2008,
Lew 1 remarked:

Am I right in thinking that the St Albans Tesco was their first self-service
store?

In 1947 it is claimed. But as their first self-service supermarket was
apparently in Maldon in 1956 I'm struggling to understand what
separates a shop from a supermarket

At the risk of wandering even further OT, I think that the earliest
self-service stores were limited to pre-packaged dry goods - tins and
packets. The term supermarket was coined when a wider range of products
appeared (pre-packaged dairy products such as butter, milk and cheese,
pre-packaged bread and cakes, and a little frozen foods).

(given that in the 60's many so-called supermarkets were very small
with maybe only two tills, like a modern convenience store).

Most were certainly small by modern standards, but I can recall many
that were about the size of a modern "Tesco metro" - perhaps 4 or 5
tills (with the inevitable "Green Stamps" dispenser). Many were formed
by knocking together two or three adjacent shops.
--
Paul Terry
Old March 24th 08, 07:42 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Roland Perry" wrote

In 1947 it is claimed. But as their first self-service supermarket was
apparently in Maldon in 1956 I'm struggling to understand what separates
a shop from a supermarket (given that in the 60's many so-called
supermarkets were very small with maybe only two tills, like a modern
convenience store).

The story goes that one of the very early self-service shops had a problem.
By the entrance was a pile of baskets with a notice 'Please take a basket.'
It seems that customers did not appreciate that they were supposed to leave
it at the check-out, and not take it home.

Peter

Old March 25th 08, 10:38 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

At 22:17:37 on Fri, 21 Mar 2008 Tom Anderson opined:-

Is a one-legged pair of trousers just a trouser?

I've often wondered what a trouser is. This must be the answer.

Now what is a scissor?
--
Thoss

Old March 31st 08, 11:18 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Mar 18, 1:42 pm, Sky Rider wrote:

The Circle area is now partially exposed - the ceiling and floor are
by and large complete, and some units (notably the Boots concept store
that car park and toilet users pass on the way) are being stocked

Some of the shops in the Circle are now open, including the M&S store.
There were a few people milling around there at ten past eight this
morning and I imagine that by the time Southeastern and LUL ticket
hall no.3 arrive in 2009/2010 the Circle should be quite busy.

Going slightly OT, why on earth are the interactive screens available
in English only?!

SWT to retail Oyster from May 2011 Paul Scott[_3_] London Transport 0 November 12th 10 12:41 PM
DLR strike off - Tube Lines infraco strike still on, but Tubeservices will still run Mizter T London Transport 14 July 5th 10 10:34 AM
Oyster PAYG Fit? Q London Transport 8 January 24th 10 08:40 PM
FCC ticket vending machines at StP finally handle Oyster PAYG...sortof Sky Rider[_2_] London Transport 0 November 12th 09 09:51 PM
St Pancras Thameslink fit-out authorised TravelBot London Transport News 0 March 12th 06 07:43 PM