Old March 28th 08, 08:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default march 2008 tube map poster spotted

In message .uk, at
13:38:00 on Fri, 28 Mar 2008, Colin Rosenstiel
remarked:
This brings to mind the two different ways of getting to
the Circle Line platforms from Kings Cross concourse - the "official"
route, and the one you take if you know what you're doing, through the
deep-level barriers and along the Khyber Pass.

Does that route still exist?

Yes, and I often use it the reverse way. From St Pancras I go down to
the Circle line platforms via the new western ticket hall entrance, then
across to the top of the deep tube line escalators via the Khyber Pass.
This avoids the passageway under Pancras Rd, and the KX ticket hall,
both of which are very congested.

Old March 28th 08, 10:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mar 28, 1:38 pm, (Colin Rosenstiel) wrote:
In article ,

(Sarah Brown) wrote:
In article
,
Mizter T wrote:

If all the shortcuts at stations around the Underground network were
made explicit then overall we'd be worse off. An element of herding is
necessary when dealing with the shear number of people that use the
Tube.

Fair point. This brings to mind the two different ways of getting to
the Circle Line platforms from Kings Cross concourse - the "official"
route, and the one you take if you know what you're doing, through the
deep-level barriers and along the Khyber Pass.

Does that route still exist?

Yes, I use it every weekday evening to get from the Circle/H+C/
Metropolitan line to King's Cross mainline station. Not sure whether
it's really faster, but it feels like it.

PaulO
Old March 28th 08, 10:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london
No Name

"Sarah Brown" wrote in message
In article
,
Mizter T wrote:

If all the shortcuts at stations around the Underground network were
made explicit then overall we'd be worse off. An element of herding is
necessary when dealing with the shear number of people that use the
Tube.

Fair point. This brings to mind the two different ways of getting to
the Circle Line platforms from Kings Cross concourse - the "official"
route, and the one you take if you know what you're doing, through the
deep-level barriers and along the Khyber Pass.

Where does the Khyber Pass refer to?

Old March 29th 08, 07:25 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Colin Rosenstiel wrote:
In article , (Roland
Perry) wrote:

In message .uk,
at 13:38:00 on Fri, 28 Mar 2008, Colin Rosenstiel
remarked:
This brings to mind the two different ways of getting to
the Circle Line platforms from Kings Cross concourse - the
"official" route, and the one you take if you know what you're
doing, through the deep-level barriers and along the Khyber Pass.

Does that route still exist?

Yes, and I often use it the reverse way. From St Pancras I go down
to the Circle line platforms via the new western ticket hall
entrance, then across to the top of the deep tube line escalators
via the Khyber Pass. This avoids the passageway under Pancras Rd,
and the KX ticket hall, both of which are very congested.

As I remember it the Khyber Pass led straight to the Eastern end of
the Met/Circle platforms. It doesn't any more, does it?

There are two routes available since the Phase 1 ticket hall rebuild and the
new Western Ticket Hall. There is a route for LU interchange passengers on
the 'paid side' of the tube and Circle barriers. There is a separate but
parallel underpass for pax wishing to get into the ticket halls from South
of the Euston Rd. Which of these is now the Kybher pass?

The previously nicknamed 'Kybher pass' was outside both station's barriers,
and LU interchange passengers were mixed with people using the Euston Rd
underpass to simply cross the road and reach Kings Cross Stn.

Paul S

Old March 29th 08, 07:48 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message .uk, at
00:23:00 on Sat, 29 Mar 2008, Colin Rosenstiel
remarked:
As I remember it the Khyber Pass led straight to the Eastern end of the
Met/Circle platforms. It doesn't any more, does it?

It leads to the top of some wide stairs down to the platforms, exactly
as before. The only difference is that because it's now all 'inside' the
barriered area, there are no barriers between the bottom of those stairs
and the actual Met/Circle platforms.
Old March 29th 08, 09:04 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
Paul Scott wrote:
Colin Rosenstiel wrote:

As I remember it the Khyber Pass led straight to the Eastern end of
the Met/Circle platforms. It doesn't any more, does it?

There are two routes available since the Phase 1 ticket hall rebuild and the
new Western Ticket Hall. There is a route for LU interchange passengers on
the 'paid side' of the tube and Circle barriers. There is a separate but
parallel underpass for pax wishing to get into the ticket halls from South
of the Euston Rd. Which of these is now the Kybher pass?

It's the one it always was - the subway that leads to the top of the
stairs at the eastern end of the circle line platforms (and which is
now signposted as the interchange route). Those stairs no-longer have
the (widely ignored) green arrows and red crosses there, and the whole
lot is now inside the fare-paid zone. The Kybher Pass occupies the
exact same space in 3D that it always did though.

There used to be an exit to street level at the circle-line end of
it. This is now a fire escape, I believe.

The previously nicknamed 'Kybher pass' was outside both station's barriers,
and LU interchange passengers were mixed with people using the Euston Rd
underpass to simply cross the road and reach Kings Cross Stn.

Yup, that's the one. You just can't use it to cross the road any more.
Old March 29th 08, 10:31 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 08:25:49 on
Sat, 29 Mar 2008, Paul Scott remarked:
There are two routes available since the Phase 1 ticket hall rebuild and the
new Western Ticket Hall. There is a route for LU interchange passengers on
the 'paid side' of the tube and Circle barriers. There is a separate but
parallel underpass for pax wishing to get into the ticket halls from South
of the Euston Rd. Which of these is now the Kybher pass?

The previously nicknamed 'Kybher pass' was outside both station's barriers,
and LU interchange passengers were mixed with people using the Euston Rd
underpass to simply cross the road and reach Kings Cross Stn.

The Khyber Pass is the same physical stretch of tunnel/underpass as
before. All that's happened is that logistically it's moved inside the
barriers.
Old April 2nd 08, 12:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 26 Mar, 20:26, Mizter T wrote:
On 26 Mar, 16:48, MIG wrote:

On 26 Mar, 15:10, "Paul Scott" wrote:

"Paul Scott" wrote:

"Boltar" wrote:

Is the passageway to Monument closed for some reason?

I read somewhere a few weeks ago that suggested nothing is actually
closed, its just that a couple of escalators are stopped for maintenance,
and are being used as fixed steps, which can be difficult for some people
to use. Hence the 'scare stories' are being used as a deterrent just to
keep the numbers of interchanging pax down compared to normal.

Which may have been true then, but obviously not from next week I see....

As ever, they give only directions rather than information. *I still
can't work out whether they are encouraging people to avoid the
station because it's going to be difficult, or whether a number of
escalator-free passageways will actually be blocked.

Also, as has been hinted at, if you can't interchange between the
Central and the Northern, how can you enter or exit the Northern?
Will they close both the surface passageway between Lombard Street and
the main ticket office and the deep one via the spiral staircases?

I admire your sentiments, but I'm not convinced it'd really be wise to
follow your course of action. If LU in fact said that it is in fact a
sly back route between Bank and Monument then perhaps loads of
passengers would attempt to use it, leading to the possibility of
massive congestion and overcrowding on a route that simply didn't have
the capacity for all these people.

Perhaps this is just a case of wily passengers working out where the
holes in the system are so they can take advantage of them, whilst the
less inquisitive majority follow the official advice and thus don't
block up the whole station.

If all the shortcuts at stations around the Underground network were
made explicit then overall we'd be worse off. An element of herding is
necessary when dealing with the shear number of people that use the
Tube.

I had a partial look during daytime today (it could be different at
different times) while coming out of the DLR.

The escalators at the north end of the DLR are both going upwards (not
sure how you'd get into the DLR, maybe via Lombard Street ticket hall
and Northern Line).

That gets you to the area just up form the north end of the Northern
Line. The next escalators upwards from there are working, but routes
to the Central are closed off, both the lower passageway to the spiral
staircases and, if you go up the escalators, the staircase back down
that comes out further west along the Central platforms, so at the top
of those escalators, you are diverted to the escalators to the Lombard
Street ticket hall, at which you can exit, go through the sub-surface
subway, and go back into the Central via the main ticket hall.
(Presumably treated as a continuation for PAYG.)

There seems to have been a very determined decision to block the non-
escalator parts of routes to/from the Central Line at the side of the
station complex where no renewal work now seems to be going on. The
work is presumably at the Monument end.

I honestly can't work out the reasoning behind this, other than a
strategy of making Bank so horrible to use that people will stay away
and make it safer. But then, the whole of LU could be made totally
safe by closing it down permanently.

There are always reasonable-sounding arguments on the grounds of
safety, but something is not quite right about the way that LU's
standard response to a lot of people trying to use its services is to
close them down. One gets the feeling that LU management would close
football stadiums on Saturdays and supermarkets in the runup to
Christmas.