Old March 26th 08, 01:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default march 2008 tube map poster spotted

Manor House had the March 2008 tube map poster this morning. Not very
exciting. Notes

*sponsored very prominently by Ikea
*Heathrow Terminal 5 shown as open, no notes
*Bank-Monument still shown as interchange
*Broad Street Viaduct and New Cross Gate-Crystal Palace/West Croydon
gone
*ELP gone, replaced with the Number 381
*no indication of West Hampstead Thameslink

It seems very bad planning to have no interchange between DLR and
subsurface at Bank at pretty much the same interval that Tower Gateway
is closed.

--
Abi

Old March 26th 08, 02:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mar 26, 1:02 pm, Abigail Brady wrote:
It seems very bad planning to have no interchange between DLR and
subsurface at Bank at pretty much the same interval that Tower Gateway
is closed.

Is the passageway to Monument closed for some reason?

B2003

Old March 26th 08, 03:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 26 Mar, 14:31, Boltar wrote:
Is the passageway to Monument closed for some reason?

Allegedly lots of passageways will be:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/medi...ntre/7763.aspx

I've emailed the press office asking exactly which ones, as it's not
quite possible to tell from the press release.

http://londonconnections.blogspot.com/
A blog about transport projects in London
Old March 26th 08, 03:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Boltar" wrote in message
On Mar 26, 1:02 pm, Abigail Brady wrote:
It seems very bad planning to have no interchange between DLR and
subsurface at Bank at pretty much the same interval that Tower Gateway
is closed.

Is the passageway to Monument closed for some reason?

I read somewhere a few weeks ago that suggested nothing is actually closed,
its just that a couple of escalators are stopped for maintenance, and are
being used as fixed steps, which can be difficult for some people to use.
Hence the 'scare stories' are being used as a deterrent just to keep the
numbers of interchanging pax down compared to normal.

Paul S

Old March 26th 08, 03:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Paul Scott" wrote in message

"Boltar" wrote in message
On Mar 26, 1:02 pm, Abigail Brady wrote:
It seems very bad planning to have no interchange between DLR and
subsurface at Bank at pretty much the same interval that Tower Gateway
is closed.

Is the passageway to Monument closed for some reason?

I read somewhere a few weeks ago that suggested nothing is actually
closed, its just that a couple of escalators are stopped for maintenance,
and are being used as fixed steps, which can be difficult for some people
to use. Hence the 'scare stories' are being used as a deterrent just to
keep the numbers of interchanging pax down compared to normal.

Which may have been true then, but obviously not from next week I see...

Paul

Old March 26th 08, 03:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mar 26, 3:02 pm, Mr Thant
wrote:
On 26 Mar, 14:31, Boltar wrote:

Is the passageway to Monument closed for some reason?

Allegedly lots of passageways will be:http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/medi...ntre/7763.aspx

I've emailed the press office asking exactly which ones, as it's not
quite possible to tell from the press release.

I've seen large posters which plainly say there will be no interchange
at all at Bank/Monument except for DLR/Northern.

Still, we won't find out for real until Monday.

--
Abi
Old March 26th 08, 03:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mar 26, 3:18 pm, Abigail Brady wrote:
On Mar 26, 3:02 pm, Mr Thant
wrote:

On 26 Mar, 14:31, Boltar wrote:

Is the passageway to Monument closed for some reason?

Allegedly lots of passageways will be:http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/medi...ntre/7763.aspx

I've emailed the press office asking exactly which ones, as it's not
quite possible to tell from the press release.

I've seen large posters which plainly say there will be no interchange
at all at Bank/Monument except for DLR/Northern.

Unless the central line is non stopping at bank how will they stop
people interchanging central - DLR / northern? There are 3
passageways (2 deep level and 1 near the surface) linking the central
to the northern/DLR. Surely they can't close them all and even if they
did you'd only have to walk 30 metres at street level to get to
another entrance for the central line booking office.

B2003

Old March 26th 08, 04:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mar 26, 3:28 pm, Boltar wrote:
Unless the central line is non stopping at bank how will they stop
people interchanging central - DLR / northern? There are 3
passageways (2 deep level and 1 near the surface) linking the central
to the northern/DLR. Surely they can't close them all and even if they
did you'd only have to walk 30 metres at street level to get to
another entrance for the central line booking office.

Even as I speak, TfL marksmen are training at Gravesend, ready to take
down uncooperative commuters.

--
Abi
Old March 26th 08, 04:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 26 Mar, 15:10, "Paul Scott" wrote:
"Paul Scott" wrote in message

"Boltar" wrote in message
On Mar 26, 1:02 pm, Abigail Brady wrote:
It seems very bad planning to have no interchange between DLR and
subsurface at Bank at pretty much the same interval that Tower Gateway
is closed.

Is the passageway to Monument closed for some reason?

I read somewhere a few weeks ago that suggested nothing is actually
closed, its just that a couple of escalators are stopped for maintenance,
and are being used as fixed steps, which can be difficult for some people
to use. Hence the 'scare stories' are being used as a deterrent just to
keep the numbers of interchanging pax down compared to normal.

Which may have been true then, but obviously not from next week I see...

As ever, they give only directions rather than information. I still
can't work out whether they are encouraging people to avoid the
station because it's going to be difficult, or whether a number of
escalator-free passageways will actually be blocked.

Also, as has been hinted at, if you can't interchange between the
Central and the Northern, how can you enter or exit the Northern?
Will they close both the surface passageway between Lombard Street and
the main ticket office and the deep one via the spiral staircases?
Old March 26th 08, 07:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Paul Scott" wrote:

"Boltar" wrote:

[...]

I admire your sentiments, but I'm not convinced it'd really be wise to
follow your course of action. If LU in fact said that it is in fact a
sly back route between Bank and Monument then perhaps loads of
passengers would attempt to use it, leading to the possibility of
massive congestion and overcrowding on a route that simply didn't have
the capacity for all these people.

Perhaps this is just a case of wily passengers working out where the
holes in the system are so they can take advantage of them, whilst the
less inquisitive majority follow the official advice and thus don't
block up the whole station.

If all the shortcuts at stations around the Underground network were
made explicit then overall we'd be worse off. An element of herding is
necessary when dealing with the shear number of people that use the
Tube.