Old March 27th 08, 10:41 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default Car rental return location with easy London, St Pancras transfer?

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
The problem is that he may already have his Eurostar ticket from
StPancras. Not many trains stop at Ebbsfleet, and by all accounts it's
very difficult to find from the motorway.

That shouldn't be a problem provided a) the train stops there and b) he lets
Eurostar know in advance that he intends to join the train at Ebbsfleet
instead of St Pancras - at least that was the advice I was given when I
asked about joining a train at Ashford instead of Waterloo. If you don't do
(b) you're flagged as a 'no-show' at St Pancras and the ticket won't be
valid at Ebbsfleet.

D A Stocks

Old March 27th 08, 11:06 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In message , at 11:41:24 on Thu, 27 Mar
2008, David A Stocks remarked:
The problem is that he may already have his Eurostar ticket from
StPancras. Not many trains stop at Ebbsfleet, and by all accounts it's
very difficult to find from the motorway.

That shouldn't be a problem provided a) the train stops there

Almost half do, it seems.

and b) he lets Eurostar know in advance that he intends to join the
train at Ebbsfleet instead of St Pancras

I'm not sure how you do that. In the old days it wasn't required (I
often seemed to end up with a Waterloo ticket, but getting on the train
at Ashford). Although this was First Class and the staff would grumble
about having to do a second sitting service.

- at least that was the advice I was given when I asked about joining a
train at Ashford instead of Waterloo. If you don't do (b) you're
flagged as a 'no-show' at St Pancras and the ticket won't be valid at
Ebbsfleet.

And it doesn't help him find the station given the lack of signposts

Otherwise, it's probably as good a plan as leaving the car a Heathrow.
Old April 6th 08, 07:24 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 2008-03-27, Fig wrote:

I would advise against thinking about a Heathrow drop-off though, you pay
a lot more for that.

You do? In the places I've rented, you pay extra for airport _pickup_, but
airport dropoff is no extra charge.
Old April 12th 08, 04:36 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.transport.london,uk.railway
G G is offline

On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 02:29:18 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

I don't know of any car rental depot in central London that is open on
Sunday.

Hertz on Southampton Row (10-15 minutes walk or short taxi ride to St
P) lets you drop cars on Sundays. You park in the attached hotel car
park and leave the keys with the hotel concierge.