Old April 4th 08, 12:02 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london

Default Parking

Nowadays I read Kafka as a utopian vision of how saner government might
work.

My aunt lives 600 metres from a tube station, and IME the street has always
been fully parked on both sides. The street has recently been made residents
parking only. There is now at most one car parked in the whole street! It
turns out that in a street of 40 houses, only one person actually owns a
car, so both sides of an entire street have been reserved for a single car!

Old April 4th 08, 01:53 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london

John Rowland wrote:
Nowadays I read Kafka as a utopian vision of how saner government
might work.

My aunt lives 600 metres from a tube station, and IME the street has
always been fully parked on both sides. The street has recently been
made residents parking only. There is now at most one car parked in
the whole street! It turns out that in a street of 40 houses, only
one person actually owns a car, so both sides of an entire street
have been reserved for a single car!

AIUI the intention of making roads "residents only" is to stop commuters
blocking the road for those needing access to the houses along that road.

Old April 4th 08, 02:01 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london

Brimstone typed:
John Rowland wrote:
Nowadays I read Kafka as a utopian vision of how saner government
might work.

My aunt lives 600 metres from a tube station, and IME the street has
always been fully parked on both sides. The street has recently been
made residents parking only. There is now at most one car parked in
the whole street! It turns out that in a street of 40 houses, only
one person actually owns a car, so both sides of an entire street
have been reserved for a single car!

AIUI the intention of making roads "residents only" is to stop
commuters blocking the road for those needing access to the houses
along that road.

Heh, how about a new parking scheme, whereby non-residents can park, say for
a fiver a day, but the money goes to the 'street residents' to keep the area
tidy and well-maintained. Might work. :-) But I'll not hold my breath.

--
Dogpoop

Stand by me.
http://www.glass-uk.org/

Old April 4th 08, 02:09 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london

Dogpoop wrote:
Brimstone typed:
John Rowland wrote:
[...]

A good idea but I can see that 'street residents' would be translated to
"local council". :-(

Old April 4th 08, 03:22 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london

On Fri, 4 Apr 2008 13:02:20 +0100, "John Rowland"
wrote:

Nowadays I read Kafka as a utopian vision of how saner government might
work.

My aunt lives 600 metres from a tube station, and IME the street has always
been fully parked on both sides. The street has recently been made residents
parking only. There is now at most one car parked in the whole street! It
turns out that in a street of 40 houses, only one person actually owns a
car, so both sides of an entire street have been reserved for a single car!

Maybe some residents decided against buying a car because the street
was always clogged with commuters' cars...

Old April 4th 08, 04:29 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london

In article , John Rowland says...

Nowadays I read Kafka as a utopian vision of how saner government might
work.

My aunt lives 600 metres from a tube station, and IME the street has always
been fully parked on both sides. The street has recently been made residents
parking only. There is now at most one car parked in the whole street! It
turns out that in a street of 40 houses, only one person actually owns a
car, so both sides of an entire street have been reserved for a single car!

How full is it after 7pm?

--
Conor

looking good either. - Scott Adams
Old April 4th 08, 05:38 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london

In article ,
John Rowland wrote:

Nowadays I read Kafka as a utopian vision of how saner government might
work.

That has to be the best .sig line I've read in a long time ...

Nick
--
Serendipity: http://www.leverton.org/blosxom (last update 2nd April 2008)
Old April 5th 08, 11:21 AM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london

On Fri, 4 Apr 2008, Brimstone wrote:

Dogpoop wrote:
Brimstone typed:
John Rowland wrote:
[...]

Although if the residents all apply for parking permits, and then
privately flog them to commuters, the council could be bypassed. This is
illegal, but hey, it might work anyway!

tom

--
BUTTS LOL
Old April 5th 08, 11:24 AM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london

On Fri, 4 Apr 2008, John Rowland wrote:

Nowadays I read Kafka as a utopian vision of how saner government might
work.

My aunt lives 600 metres from a tube station, and IME the street has
always been fully parked on both sides. The street has recently been
made residents parking only. There is now at most one car parked in the
whole street! It turns out that in a street of 40 houses, only one
person actually owns a car, so both sides of an entire street have been
reserved for a single car!

Yes, total madness. All those poor widdle oppressed drivers chased away,
just so some selfish residents can live on a street that isn't choked with
cars. How terrible! You must write to the Lord Chief Justice immediately.
Or maybe the Daily Mail.

tom

--
BUTTS LOL
Old April 5th 08, 11:31 AM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london

Tom Anderson wrote:
On Fri, 4 Apr 2008, Brimstone wrote:

Dogpoop wrote:
Brimstone typed:
John Rowland wrote:
[...]

It would be the free market in action wouldn't it. But as you say, it's
government so illegal.