Old April 10th 08, 06:25 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Lords Cricket Ground disused tunnel

The Times has an article today about a disused tunnel under the 'nursery
end' which is due for development, and has been owned by a third party since
being sold by Railtrack 10 years ago. Apparently MCC only own the ground
over it.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/spo...cle3716497.ece

Were Railtrack really able to make a permanent decision back then that there
would be no further rail use? I guess 10 years ago another two platforms at
Marylebone weren't on the agenda either...

Paul

Old April 10th 08, 06:37 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/spo...cle3716497.ece

"The tunnel, which was part of the Marylebone to Aylesbury train line ..."

Cough.
Old April 10th 08, 06:59 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 10 Apr, 19:37, Mark Annand
wrote:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/spo...cle3716497.ece

"The tunnel, which was part of the Marylebone to Aylesbury train line ..."

Cough.

What was it for?
Old April 10th 08, 07:10 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 10 Apr, 19:25, "Paul Scott" wrote:
Were Railtrack really able to make a permanent decision back then that there
would be no further rail use? *I guess 10 years ago another two platforms at
Marylebone weren't on the agenda either...

They're on a 999 year lease:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/mai.../sclord110.xml

It would appear there are three double track tunnels:
http://prints.leics.gov.uk/low.php?xp=media&xm=670835

One is obviously still in use, and the other two must have been for
when there was a big freight operation at Marylebone.

I can't see any use for them now - you'd need more platforms at
Marylebone and a way of four tracking at least to Neasden.

http://londonconnections.blogspot.com/
A blog about transport projects in London
Old April 10th 08, 07:21 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"m1ss_wh1te" wrote in message
On 10 Apr, 19:37, Mark Annand
wrote:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/spo...cle3716497.ece

"The tunnel, which was part of the Marylebone to Aylesbury train line
..."

Cough.

What was it for?

Yes I'm not sure what Mark is objecting to, either. Maybe the use of "train
line" instead of "railway line". Or maybe the fact that the GCR line
originally went much further north than Aylesbury. Or maybe that there are
also trains which use those tunnels which go to destinations such as
Birmingham via the High Wycombe route.

Old April 10th 08, 07:31 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 20:10:01 +0100, Mr Thant wrote

It would appear there are three double track tunnels:
http://prints.leics.gov.uk/low.php?xp=media&xm=670835

One is obviously still in use, and the other two must have been for
when there was a big freight operation at Marylebone.

IIRC the Lords tunnel was never used - or am I mistaken?

Old April 10th 08, 07:35 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

They're on a 999 year lease:http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/mai...2008/04/10/scl...

It would appear there are three double track tunnels:http://prints.leics.gov.uk/low.php?xp=media&xm=670835

One is obviously still in use, and the other two must have been for
when there was a big freight operation at Marylebone.

I can't see any use for them now - you'd need more platforms at
Marylebone and a way of four tracking at least to Neasden.

--http://londonconnections.blogspot.com/
A blog about transport projects in London

Did they ever see trains, or even tracks? I believe that at least
one, and possibly two of the tunnel bores was never used, having been
built for possible expansion at Marylebone, which never came.
Old April 10th 08, 08:15 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Thu, 10 Apr 2008, Mr Thant wrote:

On 10 Apr, 19:25, "Paul Scott" wrote:

Were Railtrack really able to make a permanent decision back then that there
would be no further rail use?

I can't see any use for them now - you'd need more platforms at
Marylebone and a way of four tracking at least to Neasden.

Yes.

Completely random question, but where do the Chiltern and Metropolitan
alignments separate?

tom

--
Freedom, Beauty, Truth, and Love!
Old April 10th 08, 08:29 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On Apr 10, 9:15*pm, Tom Anderson wrote:
On Thu, 10 Apr 2008, Mr Thant wrote:
On 10 Apr, 19:25, "Paul Scott" wrote:

Were Railtrack really able to make a permanent decision back then that there
would be no further rail use?

I can't see any use for them now - you'd need more platforms at
Marylebone and a way of four tracking at least to Neasden.

Yes.

Completely random question, but where do the Chiltern and Metropolitan
alignments separate?

As far as I can see, they emerge from tunnel under Lodge Road, then
cross the canal on separate, slightly diverging bridges, and then go
either side of buildings south of the canal.

So, roughly where they cross the canal.
Old April 10th 08, 08:36 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

On Apr 10, 12:10*pm, Mr Thant
wrote:
On 10 Apr, 19:25, "Paul Scott" wrote:

Were Railtrack really able to make a permanent decision back then that there
would be no further rail use? *I guess 10 years ago another two platforms at
Marylebone weren't on the agenda either...

They're on a 999 year lease:http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/mai...2008/04/10/scl...

It would appear there are three double track tunnels:http://prints.leics.gov.uk/low.php?xp=media&xm=670835

IIRC Two were double track tunnels and one was a triple track tunnel.

One is obviously still in use, and the other two must have been for
when there was a big freight operation at Marylebone.

There were once extensive freight facilities at Marylebone. These
included transshipment docks for the Regent's Canal. Most of the
freight depot is now part of a public housing subdivision.

I can't see any use for them now - you'd need more platforms at
Marylebone and a way of four tracking at least to Neasden.

Marylebone was indented to have 10 platforms. Originally only four
were build.

--http://londonconnections.blogspot.com/
A blog about transport projects in London

Great blog!