Old April 10th 08, 08:37 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

Default Lords Cricket Ground disused tunnel

On Apr 10, 12:31*pm, Stimpy wrote:
On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 20:10:01 +0100, Mr Thant wrote

It would appear there are three double track tunnels:
http://prints.leics.gov.uk/low.php?xp=media&xm=670835

One is obviously still in use, and the other two must have been for
when there was a big freight operation at Marylebone.

IIRC the Lords tunnel was never used - or am I mistaken?

IIRC a siding once entered one of the tunnels.

Old April 10th 08, 08:42 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

On Apr 10, 1:15*pm, Tom Anderson wrote:
On Thu, 10 Apr 2008, Mr Thant wrote:
On 10 Apr, 19:25, "Paul Scott" wrote:

Were Railtrack really able to make a permanent decision back then that there
would be no further rail use?

I can't see any use for them now - you'd need more platforms at
Marylebone and a way of four tracking at least to Neasden.

Yes.

Completely random question, but where do the Chiltern and Metropolitan
alignments separate?

The GCML runs to the side of, but out of site, Finchley Road Station.
At Swiss Cottage it is some distance from the Met. At that point The
Met. and Bakerloo are under Finchley Road. The GC emerges to bridge
the WCML.

At the Regent's Canal they are again next to each other. The Met.
turns slightly east on its approach to Baker Street Station on
Marylebone Rd.

El Gales Loco.

Old April 10th 08, 08:53 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

MIG wrote:
On Apr 10, 9:15 pm, Tom Anderson wrote:

Completely random question, but where do the Chiltern and
Metropolitan alignments separate?

As far as I can see, they emerge from tunnel under Lodge Road, then
cross the canal on separate, slightly diverging bridges, and then go
either side of buildings south of the canal.

So, roughly where they cross the canal.

Looking at Google Earth there seems to be a disused bridge between the two
routes that appears to be aligned with the Met lines and the NR tunnel
mouth - was this ever used? The formation at either end of the present
Chiltern tracks appears wide enough for at least 4 tracks - I'll have to
have a look and see what's visible from the train in due course...

Paul S

Old April 10th 08, 09:25 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On Apr 10, 9:53*pm, "Paul Scott"
wrote:
MIG wrote:
On Apr 10, 9:15 pm, Tom Anderson wrote:
Completely random question, but where do the Chiltern and
Metropolitan alignments separate?

As far as I can see, they emerge from tunnel under Lodge Road, then
cross the canal on separate, slightly diverging bridges, and then go
either side of buildings south of the canal.

So, roughly where they cross the canal.

Looking at Google Earth there seems to be a disused bridge between the two
routes that appears to be aligned with the Met lines and the NR tunnel
mouth - was this ever used? *The formation at either end of the present
Chiltern tracks appears wide enough for at least 4 tracks - I'll have to
have a look and see what's visible from the train in due course...

I've walked under those bridges loads of times, but not for a few
years and I can't quite remember the width. I seem to vaguely
remember an extra bit to the Metropolitan bridge.

I think just north of the canal is where the Metropolitan Lords
station was (partly in the tunnel and partly poking out), and the
platforms would have been in the way of an extra track continuing. I
wonder if it's the alignment of a track that once connected the
Metropolitan with the Marylebone route?
Old April 10th 08, 09:26 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

On Apr 10, 1:53*pm, "Paul Scott"
wrote:
MIG wrote:
On Apr 10, 9:15 pm, Tom Anderson wrote:
Completely random question, but where do the Chiltern and
Metropolitan alignments separate?

As far as I can see, they emerge from tunnel under Lodge Road, then
cross the canal on separate, slightly diverging bridges, and then go
either side of buildings south of the canal.

So, roughly where they cross the canal.

Looking at Google Earth there seems to be a disused bridge between the two
routes that appears to be aligned with the Met lines and the NR tunnel
mouth - was this ever used? *

No, which is surprisingly since historically the Met. was congested at
this point.

The formation at either end of the present
Chiltern tracks appears wide enough for at least 4 tracks - I'll have to
have a look and see what's visible from the train in due course...

The GCR bought enough land to enable future quadrupling of the entire
London Extension.

Old April 10th 08, 10:59 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Thu, 10 Apr 2008, MIG wrote:

On Apr 10, 9:15*pm, Tom Anderson wrote:
On Thu, 10 Apr 2008, Mr Thant wrote:
On 10 Apr, 19:25, "Paul Scott" wrote:

Were Railtrack really able to make a permanent decision back then that there
would be no further rail use?

I can't see any use for them now - you'd need more platforms at
Marylebone and a way of four tracking at least to Neasden.

Yes.

Completely random question, but where do the Chiltern and Metropolitan
alignments separate?

As far as I can see, they emerge from tunnel under Lodge Road, then
cross the canal on separate, slightly diverging bridges, and then go
either side of buildings south of the canal.

Okay. So there's a separate tunnel for the Met, next to the three-bore GC
tunnel? That's a lot of tunnels.

tom

--
Freedom, Beauty, Truth, and Love!
Old April 10th 08, 11:04 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

On Apr 10, 3:59*pm, Tom Anderson wrote:
On Thu, 10 Apr 2008, MIG wrote:
On Apr 10, 9:15*pm, Tom Anderson wrote:
On Thu, 10 Apr 2008, Mr Thant wrote:
On 10 Apr, 19:25, "Paul Scott" wrote:

Were Railtrack really able to make a permanent decision back then that there
would be no further rail use?

I can't see any use for them now - you'd need more platforms at
Marylebone and a way of four tracking at least to Neasden.

Yes.

Completely random question, but where do the Chiltern and Metropolitan
alignments separate?

As far as I can see, they emerge from tunnel under Lodge Road, then
cross the canal on separate, slightly diverging bridges, and then go
either side of buildings south of the canal.

Okay. So there's a separate tunnel for the Met, next to the three-bore GC
tunnel? That's a lot of tunnels.

Indeed so, and don't forget the Bakerloo down below.

At one point the Met. considered building a mainline size tube to link
their "Main Line" to Edgware Road Station.

Old April 10th 08, 11:09 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

"Adrian" wrote

At one point the Met. considered building a mainline size tube to link
their "Main Line" to Edgware Road Station.

and Watkin considered a spur from the GC to the Circle Line - he intended
this to be used by his through expresses from Manchester to Paris via the
W**dh**d and C*****l Tunnels.

Peter

Old April 10th 08, 11:29 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

On Apr 10, 4:09*pm, "Peter Masson" wrote:
"Adrian" wrote

At one point the Met. considered building a mainline size tube to link
their "Main Line" to Edgware Road Station.

and Watkin considered a spur from the GC to the Circle Line - he intended
this to be used by his through expresses from Manchester to Paris via the
W**dh**d and C*****l Tunnels.

Peter

Watkin certainly did. I guess that would have been as an alternative
to utilizing Baker Street.

In the event it is just as well he didn't. I mean without W**dh**d
where could we keep the Str*t*g*c R*s*rv*? :-)

Adrian
Old April 11th 08, 10:03 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Mr Thant wrote:
On 10 Apr, 19:25, "Paul Scott" wrote:
Were Railtrack really able to make a permanent decision back then that there
would be no further rail use? I guess 10 years ago another two platforms at
Marylebone weren't on the agenda either...

It would appear there are three double track tunnels:
http://prints.leics.gov.uk/low.php?xp=media&xm=670835

One is obviously still in use, and the other two must have been for
when there was a big freight operation at Marylebone.

I can't see any use for them now - you'd need more platforms at
Marylebone and a way of four tracking at least to Neasden.

Hmm. From a state of ignorance:
- how hard would it be to quadruple to Neasden?
I know there's spare space between the platforms at Wembley Stadium,
and IMO the potential traffic would justify quadrupling at least to
West Ruislip, if not to High Wycombe.
- are the two extra Marylebone platforms mentioned by Paul feasible?

Colin McKenzie

--
No-one has ever proved that cycle helmets make cycling any safer at
the population level, and anyway cycling is about as safe per mile as