Old May 7th 08, 02:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Default Johnson unveils Tube alcohol ban

On 7 May, 13:19, Tom Barry wrote:
James wrote:

Hmm. I can't honestly say that I've seen an awefully large number of
people drinking on public transport, either tube or bus, in the few
years that I've been living in the capital. More public transport
journeys are pretty short, so there's rarely enough time for even the
most light-weighted drinker to become drunk.

Ofcourse I've seen plently of trouble on public transport involving
drunk people, but they were all already drunk before boarding,
something that Boris' new legislation will do nothing to prevent.

That's it in a nutshell - I saw someone perfectly well behaved with a
can of Magners on the tube into town last Friday, then came home myself
on a bus after a birthday night out, obviously without a drop of booze
*on* me, but with the Electric Soup lapping the tonsils. *It's not
people drinking on the tube you need to worry about, it's people being
drunk *and misbehaving*, which I'm sure was already covered by various
offences.

Look at it this way - if I go to the pub and have ten pints of *******
Strength Lager, then buy a can of Coke, get on the tube and drink it,
Boris says I'm fine. *If I go to the pub and have ten Cokes, then buy a
can of ******* Strength Lager, get on the tube and drink it, I get
collared. *What's the logic in that? *Which case is more likely to lead
to a public nuisance? *In which case am I even over the drink drive
limit, for heaven's sake?

I get the fearful impression Boris is indeed cracking on with his
promises and actually believed the rubbish his campaign put out. *This
may well be more dangerous than the cynical politician who says what he
thinks will get him elected, then bins it and does what he wants when
the feet are under the desk.

Usually something silly like this would be a way of criminalising
something everyone does so that when you want to arrest someone,
you've always got an excuse.

But in this case, almost no one ever does it anyway, so it doesn't
achieve that.

Maybe it's just a case of implementing a lot of small and easy
policies so that they can claim "we have implemented 99% of our
election pledges (by number)".

Implementing this policy requires no more effort and commitment than
sticking up some notices telling people not to do what they are not
doing.

Old May 7th 08, 02:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Rob Rob is offline

On May 7, 3:17*pm, MIG wrote:
On 7 May, 13:19, Tom Barry wrote:

James wrote:

[...]

doing.- Hide quoted text -

Id like to say I am a regular bus drinker and this will affect me
directly.

Rob
Old May 7th 08, 03:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Richard J. wrote:

It was managed by Silverlink previously. LU only took over the managment
when LO was launched. I assume that formally it's still owned by Network
Rail.

Thanks for clearing that up, I thought it went LU before the LO
takeover, but the announcement could have been well in advance of it
happening.

Tom
Old May 7th 08, 03:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

From: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7387113.stm

"That's why from 1 June the drinking of alcohol will be banned from the
tube, tram, bus, and Docklands Light Railway."

Have they forgotten the 'Overground' then?
Will crowds flock to mainline terminals with bars on the concourses?
Is this a real problem?

Paul

Explanation of the Overground anomaly:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/05/07/lt_booze_ban/

"Those travelling on overground services will have to suffer pie-eyed
fellow commuters for somewhat longer, however, since "Transport for
London has to apply to the Department for Transport for permission to
enforce the bar on the consumption of alcohol" on those routes."

The unions are already getting fidgety about enforcing it (they haven't
been asked, apparently), plus it's not actually being made illegal on
1st June anyway. You can be 'ejected', although by whom isn't stated,
but not punished, although presumably resisting the BTP plod who comes
to throw you out is already an offence.

Therefore, my advice to those of you who get thirsty on the tube is to
wait until you've left the station immediately before the one you want
to get off at. Then, if challenged, neck it back and descend gracefully
onto the platform at your stop with a cheery wave and polite thank you
to whatever poor sod kicked you off.

What's the longest gap between stops on the tube, anyway?

Tom Barry
Old May 7th 08, 03:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 16:24:00 on Wed, 7
May 2008, Tom Barry remarked:
What's the longest gap between stops on the tube, anyway?

Metropolitan line (Chesham to Chalfont & Latimer - 6.26km (3.89 miles)

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/mode...derground/1608
..aspx

Old May 7th 08, 04:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 16:24:00 on Wed, 7
May 2008, Tom Barry remarked:
What's the longest gap between stops on the tube, anyway?

Metropolitan line (Chesham to Chalfont & Latimer - 6.26km (3.89 miles)

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/mode...derground/1608
.aspx

Blimey. Jeroboams all round between those two, then.

Tom
Old May 7th 08, 04:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On May 7, 5:35*pm, Tom Barry wrote:

Blimey. *Jeroboams all round between those two, then.

Quite literally - I've a feeling both appeared in the Top 50 "Rich
Towns" listing in the Telegraph recently...
Old May 7th 08, 04:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Tom Barry wrote:

(there are presumably routes wholly within London you can still *buy*
booze on the train, surely?), but I've no idea what powers he actually
has to do this (he does have them, presumably?)

Are there actually any *wholely* within London for which this applies?
I can think of examples of trains that go between two places within
London that serve booze on the train (Liverpool St to Norwich between
L.St. and Stratford, for example, but I can't bring to mind any
*wholely* within London ones that serve booze on the train.

Robin
Old May 7th 08, 04:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 7 May, 17:45, "R.C. Payne" wrote:
(there are presumably routes wholly within London you can still *buy*
booze on the train, surely?), but I've no idea what powers he actually
has to do this (he does have them, presumably?)

Are there actually any *wholely* within London for which this applies?
I can think of examples of trains that go between two places within
London that serve booze on the train (Liverpool St to Norwich between
L.St. and Stratford, for example, but I can't bring to mind any
*wholely* within London ones that serve booze on the train.

....or Waterloo to Portsmouth via Clapham Junction. Or Olympia to
Croydon, for a limited time only...

But yes, I'm fairly sure there are no London-only routes with catering
of any kind.

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org
Old May 7th 08, 05:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 7 May 2008, Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at 16:24:00 on Wed, 7
May 2008, Tom Barry remarked:
What's the longest gap between stops on the tube, anyway?

Metropolitan line (Chesham to Chalfont & Latimer - 6.26km (3.89 miles)

In alternative units, about half a pint.

tom

--
Ensure a star-man is never constructed!