Old May 13th 08, 07:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Shepherds Bush WLL station

Looks like some work on the narrow platform ay Shepherds Bush WLL is
being started. Does anyone know what is planned?
--
Peter Lawrence

Old May 13th 08, 07:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Peter Lawrence" wrote in message

Looks like some work on the narrow platform ay Shepherds Bush WLL is
being started. Does anyone know what is planned?

Have you seen this?

http://londonconnections.blogspot.co...nd-update.html

Looks like a discrete length of platform is being widened to allow a bigger
waiting area, but not the whole 6? car length; and the north end of the
access building/shelter is being opened out.

Paul S

Old May 13th 08, 08:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 13 May, 20:50, "Paul Scott" wrote:
Looks like a discrete length of platform is being widened to allow a bigger
waiting area, but not the whole 6? car length; *and the north end of the
access building/shelter is being opened out.

The station's designed for 4 car trains, but has longer platforms so
that trains southbound trains on the wrong line can stop in front of
the signal that's ended up halfway along the northbound platform.

As far as I can tell they're only widening the 4 car length that'll be
in regular use, plus demolishing a corner of the building to get
access to the extra width.

http://londonconnections.blogspot.com/
A blog about transport projects in London
Old May 14th 08, 12:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 13 May, 21:56, Mr Thant
wrote:
The station's designed for 4 car trains, but has longer platforms so
that trains southbound trains on the wrong line can stop in front of
the signal that's ended up halfway along the northbound platform.

As far as I can tell they're only widening the 4 car length that'll be
in regular use, plus demolishing a corner of the building to get
access to the extra width.

I thought they were planning for 6-car trains in the mid-term future.
I suppose they just want to get the damn thing open now though...
Old May 14th 08, 03:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 14 May, 13:30, Jamie Thompson wrote:
I thought they were planning for 6-car trains in the mid-term future.
I suppose they just want to get the damn thing open now though...

They were, but London Overground seem to have settled on running an
all 4 car network for the foreseeable future. On the ELL extension
only Shoredtich High Street is being built with 8 car platforms - even
Dalston Junction, which will be stuck in the basement of new high rise
flats, is being built with 4 car bay platforms (not sure about the
through platforms).

They've left space at the north end of Shepherd's Bush for the
platforms to be extended to 8 car, though the most likely user would
be Southern.

Old May 14th 08, 08:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Mr Thant" wrote in message
On 14 May, 13:30, Jamie Thompson wrote:
I thought they were planning for 6-car trains in the mid-term future.
I suppose they just want to get the damn thing open now though...

They were, but London Overground seem to have settled on running an
all 4 car network for the foreseeable future. On the ELL extension
only Shoredtich High Street is being built with 8 car platforms - even
Dalston Junction, which will be stuck in the basement of new high rise
flats, is being built with 4 car bay platforms (not sure about the
through platforms).

They've left space at the north end of Shepherd's Bush for the
platforms to be extended to 8 car, though the most likely user would
be Southern.

To an extent you can get away with a reduced platform width at the opposite
end to the entrance...

Paul S

Old May 14th 08, 08:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On May 14, 4:26 pm, Mr Thant
wrote:
They were, but London Overground seem to have settled on running an
all 4 car network for the foreseeable future. On the ELL extension
only Shoredtich High Street is being built with 8 car platforms - even
Dalston Junction, which will be stuck in the basement of new high rise
flats, is being built with 4 car bay platforms (not sure about the
through platforms).

I suppose that helps mitigate the Rotherhithe and Wapping issue
somewhat