Old May 28th 08, 09:59 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Operating Incident at Liverpool Street

IanB wrote:
On 28 May, 22:36, Neill wrote:
"Richard J." wrote

It sounds as if one of the pillars supporting that end of the
bridge may have partially collapsed. I can now understand why the
security guys insisted that I wore a hard hat to take the photo at
http://rjnews.fotopic.net/p50210450.html!

[snip]

This sounds like very bad news for the ELL - two other bridges were
craned in in the last few weeks. could it also have ramifications for
other bridge builds, and for longer term railway projects, as craning
in bridges is used to reduce disruption costs?

This bridge was NOT craned in. It was assembled east of the site and rolled
into position on 4/5 May, with the rear (eastern) end sitting on a
many-wheeled truck, propelled forward by two strand jacks, and the front end
sliding on a structure on the edge of the GE cutting.

If the problem arose from the way in which the front of the bridge landed on
its supports next to Brick Lane, it could have implications for the New
Cross bridge which was installed using a similar method a week or two later.

And it all seemed to go so well ...

--
Richard J.

Old May 28th 08, 11:55 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Reading various reports seems to suggest to me its concrete decking or
supports thats failed rather than the steel structure. That might mean
no effect on the bridge or simple jacking respectively. However, that
a collection of eye witness non-expert reports.

Its nearly 6 hours afdter the event as a write this. Methinks
http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/servic...ons/today.html

by now ought to be saying something succinct than ''Train services
are being disrupted due to an operating incident in the London
Liverpool Street area. Services are currently unable to operate
between London Liverpool Street and Seven Sisters / Tottenham Hale /
Stratford. However, Chingford line services are running between
Chingford and Hackney Downs.''

Surely ''All services to/from Liverpool Street suspended'' as the
first sentence.

--
Nick
Old May 29th 08, 12:54 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Wed, 28 May 2008 16:55:11 -0700 (PDT), D7666
wrote:

Reading various reports seems to suggest to me its concrete decking or
supports thats failed rather than the steel structure. That might mean
no effect on the bridge or simple jacking respectively. However, that
a collection of eye witness non-expert reports.

Its nearly 6 hours afdter the event as a write this. Methinks
http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/servic...ons/today.html

by now ought to be saying something succinct than ''Train services
are being disrupted due to an operating incident in the London
Liverpool Street area. Services are currently unable to operate
between London Liverpool Street and Seven Sisters / Tottenham Hale /
Stratford. However, Chingford line services are running between
Chingford and Hackney Downs.''

Surely ''All services to/from Liverpool Street suspended'' as the
first sentence.

According to the Torygraph, everything's going to be up Faeces Creek
for a few days :-
http://tinyurl.com/5eqe36

"a spokesman for NEEA .... He added: “We are totally in the hands of
the TfL engineers: it’s their bridge."
Old May 29th 08, 03:12 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Richard J. wrote:

Also on BBC News tonight: "The leaning tower of Pisa has stopped
moving for the first time in its 800-year history."

Not true, on several levels.

--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p12598534.html
(56 049 at Eastleigh, 1985)
Old May 29th 08, 06:34 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message
, at
16:55:11 on Wed, 28 May 2008, D7666 remarked:
Its nearly 6 hours afdter the event as a write this. Methinks
http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/servic...ons/today.html

by now ought to be saying something succinct than ''Train services
are being disrupted due to an operating incident in the London
Liverpool Street area.

Now it's a "Problem near the railway" (my, what a wonderful way of
giving no details at all) that may be fixed by 14.00.

Old May 29th 08, 07:16 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message
, at
16:55:11 on Wed, 28 May 2008, D7666 remarked:
Its nearly 6 hours afdter the event as a write this. Methinks
http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/servic...ons/today.html

by now ought to be saying something succinct than ''Train services
are being disrupted due to an operating incident in the London
Liverpool Street area.

Now it's a "Problem near the railway" (my, what a wonderful way of giving
no details at all) that may be fixed by 14.00.

'Near' as in 'above'?
Brian

Old May 29th 08, 07:31 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:
In message
, at
16:55:11 on Wed, 28 May 2008, D7666 remarked:
Its nearly 6 hours afdter the event as a write this. Methinks
http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/servic...ons/today.html

by now ought to be saying something succinct than ''Train services
are being disrupted due to an operating incident in the London
Liverpool Street area.

Now it's a "Problem near the railway" (my, what a wonderful way of
giving no details at all) that may be fixed by 14.00.

At least it's not specified as being "in the railway area".

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK
Old May 29th 08, 07:35 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , at 08:16:00 on Thu,
29 May 2008, BH Williams remarked:
Now it's a "Problem near the railway" (my, what a wonderful way of giving
no details at all) that may be fixed by 14.00.

'Near' as in 'above'?

Exactly. I suppose "ten feet above" counts as "near"

As I posted in another thread, the BBC's headline "Trains halted over
bridge safety" could just as well have read "Trains halted under bridge
safely".
Old May 29th 08, 09:15 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote in uk.railway on Thu, 29 May 2008 07:34:45 +0100
:

In message
, at
16:55:11 on Wed, 28 May 2008, D7666 remarked:
Its nearly 6 hours afdter the event as a write this. Methinks
http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/servic...ons/today.html

by now ought to be saying something succinct than ''Train services
are being disrupted due to an operating incident in the London
Liverpool Street area.

Now it's a "Problem near the railway" (my, what a wonderful way of
giving no details at all) that may be fixed by 14.00.

NEEA are saying (Thurs 1015) that there are "issues with access to
Liverpool Street".
Old May 29th 08, 09:21 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Dave Hillam wrote:
NEEA are saying (Thurs 1015) that there are "issues with access to
Liverpool Street".

The CIS Screens at NXEA stations describes it as "a problem with a
railway bridge near Liverpool Street"