Old May 28th 08, 07:03 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Operating Incident at Liverpool Street

Reported about 19:52 this evening, trains in and out of Liverpool Street
stopped.

Seems to be a problem with the new ELL bridge, but nothing confirmed yet

Old May 28th 08, 07:34 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 28 May, 20:03, Great Eastern wrote:
Reported about 19:52 this evening, trains in and out of Liverpool Street
stopped.

Weirdly London Overground is suspended Camden Road-Stratford as part
of the same incident, and their site says local power failu
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/livetravel...l/default.html

http://londonconnections.blogspot.com/
A blog about transport projects in London
Old May 28th 08, 07:49 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Mr Thant wrote:
On 28 May, 20:03, Great Eastern wrote:
Reported about 19:52 this evening, trains in and out of Liverpool Street
stopped.

Weirdly London Overground is suspended Camden Road-Stratford as part
of the same incident, and their site says local power failu
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/livetravel...l/default.html

The BBC are saying "emergency engineering works at Liverpool Street".
http://www.bbc.co.uk/london/travel/t..._feature.shtml
Old May 28th 08, 08:25 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Great Eastern" wrote in message
et...
Reported about 19:52 this evening, trains in and out of Liverpool Street
stopped.

Seems to be a problem with the new ELL bridge, but nothing confirmed yet

BBC are now saying there are problems with the bridge:

"Train services at Liverpool Street station have been suspended while
structural engineers inspect a new bridge which has partially collapsed"

Amazing...

Paul S

Old May 28th 08, 09:11 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Paul Scott wrote:
"Great Eastern" wrote in message
et...
Reported about 19:52 this evening, trains in and out of Liverpool
Street stopped.

Seems to be a problem with the new ELL bridge, but nothing confirmed
yet

BBC are now saying there are problems with the bridge:

"Train services at Liverpool Street station have been suspended while
structural engineers inspect a new bridge which has partially
collapsed"

Amazing...

"Justin Drerup, who lives close to the tracks, said his flat suddenly shook
and cracks appeared in the plaster. 'I looked out of my window and could see
the bridge was no longer sitting level,' he said."

The closest buildings to the bridge are just off Brick Lane, on the other
side of a narrow street from the site containing the western end of the
bridge. It sounds as if one of the pillars supporting that end of the
bridge may have partially collapsed. I can now understand why the security
guys insisted that I wore a hard hat to take the photo at
http://rjnews.fotopic.net/p50210450.html !

The relevant location is arrowed at http://tinyurl.com/3so94k .

--
Richard J.

Old May 28th 08, 09:17 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Richard J." wrote

It sounds as if one of the pillars supporting that end of the
bridge may have partially collapsed. I can now understand why the

security
guys insisted that I wore a hard hat to take the photo at
http://rjnews.fotopic.net/p50210450.html !

I don't think a hard hat would have been much use if that lot had landed on
your head.

Peter

Old May 28th 08, 09:30 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Peter Masson wrote:
"Richard J." wrote

It sounds as if one of the pillars supporting that end of the
bridge may have partially collapsed. I can now understand why the
security guys insisted that I wore a hard hat to take the photo at
http://rjnews.fotopic.net/p50210450.html !

I don't think a hard hat would have been much use if that lot had
landed on your head.

:-)

Also on BBC News tonight: "The leaning tower of Pisa has stopped moving for
the first time in its 800-year history." Perhaps the bridge is trying to
make a name for itself as the leaning bridge of Shoreditch.
--
Richard J.

Old May 28th 08, 09:36 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On May 28, 10:30 pm, "Richard J." wrote:
Peter Masson wrote:
"Richard J." wrote

It sounds as if one of the pillars supporting that end of the
bridge may have partially collapsed. I can now understand why the
security guys insisted that I wore a hard hat to take the photo at
http://rjnews.fotopic.net/p50210450.html!

I don't think a hard hat would have been much use if that lot had
landed on your head.

:-)

Also on BBC News tonight: "The leaning tower of Pisa has stopped moving for
the first time in its 800-year history." Perhaps the bridge is trying to
make a name for itself as the leaning bridge of Shoreditch.
--
Richard J.

Does the bridge sit on existing pillars or are they new?

Neill
Old May 28th 08, 09:43 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Neill" wrote in message
On May 28, 10:30 pm, "Richard J." wrote:
Peter Masson wrote:
"Richard J." wrote

It sounds as if one of the pillars supporting that end of the
bridge may have partially collapsed. I can now understand why the
security guys insisted that I wore a hard hat to take the photo at
http://rjnews.fotopic.net/p50210450.html!

Does the bridge sit on existing pillars or are they new?

Four new reinforced concrete pillars, two each side of the cutting as shown
in Richard's picture linked above. Although it seems fairly close above the
cutting walls when you go through on a train, the walls have all been capped
off, and the new bridge is somewhat above the new top level. All the
intermediate pillars between the GEML tracks were removed durng the
Christmas/New Year blockade.

Paul

Old May 28th 08, 09:43 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 28 May, 22:36, Neill wrote:
On May 28, 10:30 pm, "Richard J." wrote:

Peter Masson wrote:
"Richard J." wrote

It sounds as if one of the pillars supporting that end of the
bridge may have partially collapsed. *I can now understand why the
security guys insisted that I wore a hard hat to take the photo at
http://rjnews.fotopic.net/p50210450.html!

I don't think a hard hat would have been much use if that lot had
landed on your head.

:-)

Also on BBC News tonight: *"The leaning tower of Pisa has stopped moving for
the first time in its 800-year history." *Perhaps the bridge is trying to
make a name for itself as the leaning bridge of Shoreditch.
--
Richard J.

Does the bridge sit on existing pillars or are they new?

Neill- Hide quoted text -

This sounds like very bad news for the ELL - two other bridges were
craned in in the last few weeks. could it also have ramifications for
other bridge builds, and for longer term railway projects, as craning
in bridges is used to reduce disruption costs?