Old May 29th 08, 09:48 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Operating Incident at Liverpool Street

In message , at 10:15:37 on
Thu, 29 May 2008, Dave Hillam ] remarked:

by now ought to be saying something succinct than ''Train services
are being disrupted due to an operating incident in the London
Liverpool Street area.

Now it's a "Problem near the railway" (my, what a wonderful way of
giving no details at all) that may be fixed by 14.00.

NEEA are saying (Thurs 1015) that there are "issues

Bless them.

with access to Liverpool Street".

Primarily its station.

Old May 29th 08, 10:07 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Latest report from the BBC at
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7424980.stm :

"A Transport for London spokesman said 'just debris from engineering works'
fell on the tracks rather than a partial bridge collapse as reported
earlier.
'The contractors were jacking up the bridge. The jack collapsed and debris
from the supports for the bridge fell onto the tracks. We are investigating
the incident,' he said."

--
Richard J.

Old May 29th 08, 10:22 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Richard J." wrote in message
m...
Latest report from the BBC at
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7424980.stm :

"A Transport for London spokesman said 'just debris from engineering
works' fell on the tracks rather than a partial bridge collapse as
reported earlier.
'The contractors were jacking up the bridge. The jack collapsed and debris
from the supports for the bridge fell onto the tracks. We are
investigating the incident,' he said."

The Times online has the following:

"Services to and from Liverpool Street, in the City, were suspended at
around 7.15pm last night after cladding fell from a newly constructed bridge
over the tracks about 500m from the station.

and...

"A TFL spokesman said that the 1,800-tonne bridge was still on supports and
was due to be shifted by about an inch into its final resting place when one
of the jacks holding it up collapsed and the structure slipped by about
eight inches. "That's what caused the debris to fall onto the tracks below,"
he said.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle4024826.ece

and it must be true because the picture shows a Mark 1 EMU approaching
Clapham Junction for good measure...

Paul

Old May 29th 08, 10:26 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 29 May, 11:22, "Paul Scott" wrote:
"Richard J." wrote in message

m...

[...]

Dparting from, I think.
Old May 29th 08, 10:31 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"MIG" wrote in message
On 29 May, 11:22, "Paul Scott" wrote:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle4024826.ece

and it must be true because the picture shows a Mark 1 EMU approaching
Clapham Junction for good measure...

Paul

Dparting from, I think.

Arrgh no - I saw the embedded caption, but not the red blind...

Paul

Old May 29th 08, 11:35 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , at 10:07:32
on Thu, 29 May 2008, Richard J. remarked:
'The contractors were jacking up the bridge. The jack collapsed and

And this was happening while trains were running underneath ?!?!?!

debris from the supports

Which some reports are calling "scaffolding", perhaps.

Old May 29th 08, 01:04 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 29 May, 11:07, "Richard J." wrote:
Latest report from the BBC athttp://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7424980.stm:

"A Transport for London spokesman said 'just debris from engineering works'
fell on the tracks rather than a partial bridge collapse as reported
earlier.
'The contractors were jacking up the bridge. The jack collapsed and debris
from the supports for the bridge fell onto the tracks. We are investigating
the incident,' he said."

--
Richard J.

There's lots more about this from lots of different sources
http://news.google.co.uk/nwshp?hl=en...998631&topic=h

What interests me is the comment that the contractors were jacking the
bridge up - AND THERE WERE TRAINS RUNNING AT THE TIME !!!

What on earth is their safety case like ?
Old May 29th 08, 02:07 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Paul Scott" wrote
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle4024826.ece

and it must be true because the picture shows a Mark 1 EMU approaching
Clapham Junction for good measure...

Wasn't there a previous time a London terminus was shut down by a bridge
collapse about 40 years ago when rusted girders holding up a signalbox at
Clapham Junction gave way?

Peter

Old May 29th 08, 02:33 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Peter Masson" wrote in message

"Paul Scott" wrote
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle4024826.ece

and it must be true because the picture shows a Mark 1 EMU approaching
Clapham Junction for good measure...

Wasn't there a previous time a London terminus was shut down by a bridge
collapse about 40 years ago when rusted girders holding up a signalbox at
Clapham Junction gave way?

Peter

Yes, it closed Waterloo.

See http://www.railwaysarchive.co.uk/doc...lapham1965.pdf

D A Stocks

Old May 29th 08, 03:49 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 29 May, 14:04, " wrote:

On 29 May, 11:07, "Richard J." wrote:

Latest report from the BBC at
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7424980.stm:

"A Transport for London spokesman said 'just debris from engineering works'
fell on the tracks rather than a partial bridge collapse as reported
earlier.
'The contractors were jacking up the bridge. The jack collapsed and debris
from the supports for the bridge fell onto the tracks. We are investigating
the incident,' he said."

There's lots more about this from lots of different sources
http://news.google.co.uk/nwshp?hl=en...998631&topic=h

What interests me is the comment that the contractors were jacking the
bridge up - AND THERE WERE TRAINS RUNNING AT THE TIME !!!

What on earth is their safety case like ?

I think you (and Roland Perry upthread) may well be jumping to
conclusions - just because many reports say that the bridge was being
jacked up at the time doesn't mean that was what was actually
happening.

It is indeed a bit hard to believe that anything like that was going
on whilst trains were running below, so perhaps Mr Thant's post
upthread might help to explain matters - this is what he had to say...

On 29 May, 12:41, Mr Thant
wrote:

It might have been that they jacked it up the night before and were
only swapping over the bearings (which is what I think they were
doing) during the day.

See:
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk....212667d5c7a14e