Old July 2nd 08, 01:25 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Thames

I was at the Embankment in Putney tonight, and I noticed that the incoming
tide was bringing a lot of foam. Where does it come from?

Incidentally, a police boat went up the river at about 11pm with siren
blaring, despite the fact that there were no other boats moving and no
possible benefit.of using the siren. Idiots.

Old July 2nd 08, 06:09 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On Jul 2, 2:25*am, "John Rowland"
wrote:
I was at the Embankment in Putney tonight, and I noticed that the incoming
tide was bringing a lot of foam. Where does it come from?

Incidentally, a police boat went up the river at about 11pm with siren
blaring, despite the fact that there were no other boats moving and no
possible benefit.of using the siren. Idiots.

At that time it wouldn't be easy to see if anyone or anything was in
the water, but I wonder in general what the siren might be for, given
that you can't nip out of the way very quickly on water.
Old July 2nd 08, 12:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"John Rowland" wrote in message

Incidentally, a police boat went up the river at about 11pm with siren
blaring, despite the fact that there were no other boats moving and no
possible benefit.of using the siren. Idiots.

Sirens on police cars, ambulances, and fire engines can serve two purposes.

Both to clear people out of the way, but also to reassure callers that help is
on the way. When for instance a vehicle may be stuck in traffic some distance
away, but the siren would be clearly audible.

If people are in difficulties in or on the water in the dark, they're likely
to hear a siren well before they'd see an approaching boat.

michael adams

Old July 2nd 08, 04:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2 Jul, 02:25, "John Rowland"
wrote:
I was at the Embankment in Putney tonight, and I noticed that the incoming
tide was bringing a lot of foam. Where does it come from?

Its biological isn't it? You get it on certain seashores. Not sure
under what conditions.

B2003

Old July 2nd 08, 04:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message
On 2 Jul, 02:25, "John Rowland"
wrote:
I was at the Embankment in Putney tonight, and I noticed that the
incoming
tide was bringing a lot of foam. Where does it come from?

Its biological isn't it? You get it on certain seashores. Not sure
under what conditions.

phytoplankton foam I think - Google throws up a few articles of a scientific
nature...

Paul

Old July 2nd 08, 07:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"michael adams" wrote in message

"John Rowland" wrote in message

Incidentally, a police boat went up the river at about 11pm with siren
blaring, despite the fact that there were no other boats moving and no
possible benefit.of using the siren. Idiots.

Sirens on police cars, ambulances, and fire engines can serve two
purposes.

Both to clear people out of the way, but also to reassure callers that
help is
on the way. When for instance a vehicle may be stuck in traffic some
distance
away, but the siren would be clearly audible.

If people are in difficulties in or on the water in the dark, they're
likely
to hear a siren well before they'd see an approaching boat.

michael adams

How will the rescuers hear the person who is shouting for help at night if
they have their siren blaring?

Old July 2nd 08, 08:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"RobWilton" wrote in message

[...]

Why would the rescuers need to hear anyone shouting for help ?

They'll have been given the location already.

And their boats are all fitted with searchlights.

They're not simply cruising around, sirens blazing, on the off-chance
of finding someone crying for help.

And in any case, what about the sound of the boat's engine ?

Or are you suggesting they should maybe stick to row boats just in case ?

michael adams

Old July 2nd 08, 08:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"RobWilton" wrote in message

"michael adams" wrote in message

"John Rowland" wrote in
message

[...]

Yes!! A rowing boat sounds much more environmentally friendly & perhaps they
could ring a bell as well.

Old July 2nd 08, 08:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 2 Jul 2008, wrote:

On 2 Jul, 02:25, "John Rowland"
wrote:
I was at the Embankment in Putney tonight, and I noticed that the incoming
tide was bringing a lot of foam. Where does it come from?

Its biological isn't it? You get it on certain seashores. Not sure under
what conditions.

Something like that. Quantities vary:

http://www.thegamefish.com/foam.aspx

tom