Old July 4th 08, 10:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default 7day 1-6 travel card

On Fri, 4 Jul 2008 13:00:28 -0700 (PDT), MIG
wrote:

On Jul 4, 8:48*pm, "
wrote:

What will be the quickest route ?

The real question is how encumbered you will be. If you will be laden
with luggage or not able to use stairs very well then it's not about
speed - it's about the convenience of interchange. Acton Town station
is being refurbished at present and it only has stairs and a bridge
between platforms from Heathrow and towards Alperton - not easy if
laden with luggage. Also make sure that trains will stop there - I'm
sure I read that on certain dates there is limited access at Acton Town.

I can't imagine doing anything but getting the Piccadilly Line to
Green Park and then the Jubilee to Wembley Park, because it's simplest
and least risky.

Yes but takes quite a long time and Green Park is one of the least
convenient interchanges on the system although there are lifts between
the Picc and Jubilee plus a long corridor!

Believe it or not, the Journey Planner suggests getting the Piccadilly
to Acton Town, Change for Alperton and then bus 83 from Alperton to
Wembley.

I think that the Journey Planner gives the wrong level of precision
with this sort of thing, because it depends on buses running exactly
on time.

Well yes and no. JP can overstate bus journey times because it has an
annoying habit of adding the headway to the journey time to give a
theoretical maximum time. It's a shame Heathrow has such poor links in
the Ealing direction by bus. An all bus alternative would be to take a
105 from Heathrow to its terminal in Greenford and wait at the same stop
for a 92 on to Wembley. It's doesn't reach Wembley Park but does go
through the middle of Wembley town centre.

I've made extensive use of the bus network on Sundays of later and have
got about pretty well but then I tend to use www.londonbusroutes.net for
really detailed timetable info.

Route 83 timetable here

http://www.firstgroup.com/ukbus/lond...r=18&source=sp

Route 92 here

http://www.firstgroup.com/ukbus/lond...r=18&source=sp

Route 105 here

http://www.firstgroup.com/ukbus/lond...r=18&source=sp

Both the 83 and 105 are 24 hour bus services so run right through the
night, every night. The 92 is every 12 minutes in the evening so not
bad at all and runs until midnight.

--
Paul C

Old July 4th 08, 11:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(Paul Corfield) wrote:

By the looks of the fares generated by the Fares Finder Heathrow T123
to Wembley Park is priced not via Zone 1 - £1.80 peak, £1.00 off peak
on PAYG.

No=brainer then. Take the tube. It's cheaper.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old July 5th 08, 12:18 AM posted to uk.transport.london

MIG wrote
On 4 Jul, 12:01, Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:

A 7 Zone 1-6 day Travelcard is unlikely to be good value for money
unless you plan to:

1) Regularly travel before 09.30
2) use National Rail a lot,
3) travel all the way from Zone1 to Zone 6 most days.

I'd be inclined to replace this with "A seven day 1 - 6 zone
travelcard is likely to be good value for money unless you never

..."

They really are hugely better value than any capping limit, even if
you only use them over five days.

Can we see a rough calculation ?

A 1-6 7D is £44.60 so you expect to exceed £8.92 on most of those five
days without 1) or 3) being true ?

Off-peak 1-6 cap is £6.50 1-2 cap is £4.80

Peak 1-6 cap is £13.30 1-2 cap is £6.30

For tourists and depending on hotel location (and time you finish
breakfast) a 1-2 (£24.20) 7D would often be better value. Buying a
off-peak 1D is £7.00 per day but there is the complication that a
Railcard discount to £4.80 is available to some.

--
Mike D

Old July 5th 08, 07:30 AM posted to uk.transport.london,alt.support.mult-sclerosis

In message
, at
13:00:28 on Fri, 4 Jul 2008, MIG remarked:
What will be the quickest route ?

I can't imagine doing anything but getting the Piccadilly Line to
Green Park and then the Jubilee to Wembley Park, because it's simplest
and least risky.

Believe it or not, the Journey Planner suggests getting the Piccadilly
to Acton Town, Change for Alperton and then bus 83 from Alperton to
Wembley.

I think that the Journey Planner gives the wrong level of precision
with this sort of thing, because it depends on buses running exactly
on time.

Realistically, the OP will be departing Heathrow at 22.00, and it's not
really the right time to be exploring exotic routes. However the fastest
route above seems to be an hour, versus an hour and a quarter via Green
Park. Looking at a map, going via central London is at least twice the
travelling distance!

Of course, some of this will depend on exactly where "near the arena"
the OP's hotel is. A bus might actually get him at least ten minutes
closer than a station+walk (and it's only a 1:3 guess that Wembley Park
is the closest station).
Old July 5th 08, 08:27 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On Jul 5, 1:18*am, "Michael R N Dolbear" wrote:
MIG wrote

On 4 Jul, 12:01, Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
A 7 Zone 1-6 day Travelcard is unlikely to be good value for money
unless you plan to:

1) Regularly travel before 09.30
2) use National Rail a lot,
3) travel all the way from Zone1 to Zone 6 most days.

I'd be inclined to replace this with "A seven day 1 - 6 zone
travelcard is likely to be good value for money unless you never

.."

They really are hugely better value than any capping limit, even if
you only use them over five days.

Can we see a rough calculation ?

A 1-6 7D is £44.60 so you expect to exceed £8.92 on most of those five
days without 1) or 3) being true ?

No I wouldn't, but the poster seems to know that he wants zone 6.
Normally I'd expect a tourist to need a seven-day zone 1 - 2 plus
enough credit to/from Heathrow.

£24.20 divided by five is £4.84 so you'd be risking 4p a day against
the difference in pounds of any one journey on NR or beyond the zones
or before 0930, plus he is going to be using it for seven days anyway.

In this case, we know that he will be staying in zone 4 and knows
London well so will probably be taking advantage of various means of
travel for all of the seven days. In the end, the poster has to look
at the fare guide and work out what's best.

Or maybe that sort of military planning would spoil the holiday and it
would be better to get the travelcard and relax.

Old July 5th 08, 08:41 AM posted to uk.transport.london,alt.support.mult-sclerosis
MIG MIG is offline

On Jul 5, 8:30*am, Roland Perry wrote:
[...]

I was thinking that he will be on PAYG on the first evening, so a
single LU journey will also be cheaper.
Old July 5th 08, 11:47 AM posted to uk.transport.london,alt.support.mult-sclerosis

In message
, at
01:41:12 on Sat, 5 Jul 2008, MIG remarked:
I was thinking that he will be on PAYG on the first evening, so a
single LU journey will also be cheaper.

If someone at the arse end of what's probably a $500 24hour journey at
midnight is worrying about whether the final hour and a half costs £1 or
£1.80, then I think we are wasting our time.

What I'd be looking at is which delivers me closest to the hotel.
Old July 5th 08, 08:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Roland Perry typed

In message
, at
01:41:12 on Sat, 5 Jul 2008, MIG remarked:
I was thinking that he will be on PAYG on the first evening, so a
single LU journey will also be cheaper.

If someone at the arse end of what's probably a $500 24hour journey at
midnight is worrying about whether the final hour and a half costs £1 or
£1.80, then I think we are wasting our time.

What I'd be looking at is which delivers me closest to the hotel.

If it were me I'd get a 140 to Harrow on the Hill and a cab from there...

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old July 9th 08, 02:46 AM posted to uk.transport.london,alt.support.mult-sclerosis

On Jul 5, 1:47*am, Roland Perry wrote:
In message
, at
01:41:12 on Sat, 5 Jul 2008, MIG remarked:

I was thinking that he will be on PAYG on the first evening, so a
single LU journey will also be cheaper.

If someone at the arse end of what's probably a $500 24hour journey at
midnight is worrying about whether the final hour and a half costs £1 or
£1.80, then I think we are wasting our time.

What I'd be looking at is which delivers me closest to the hotel.

I decided To take the 105 92 combo it drops me half a block from the
hotel

Aloha all from Waikiki
Old August 6th 08, 04:36 AM posted to uk.transport.london

I Booked At wembley I'm buying 2 oyster I pay 44.60 for the 7 day
1-6 oyster card and add 1.80 for 2 buses the day b4 making it 46.40
for each . I plan to take rt 105 then connect to rt 92 does anyone
know where to transfer in the same stop ?