Old July 21st 08, 03:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Petition to stop overcrowding on public transport

On Jul 21, 2:14 pm, "Recliner" wrote:
Well, Oyster does encourage journeys to start before 7am, after 7pm and
after 9:30am.

If "encourage" is a euphamism for blatantly ripping people off during
morning peak hours then yes. Though this has been going on for years.
Presumably its a nice little money spinner screwing extra cash out of
tourists and other people without season tickets. Notice how there are
no big signs up warning people of the extra cost in the mornings. Poor
old Pierre arrives on the early morning eurostar and then gets taken
for another ride by LUL before he's even stepped on a train without
even knowing it.

B2003

Old July 21st 08, 07:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 14:14:32 +0100, "Recliner"
wrote:

Well, Oyster does encourage journeys to start before 7am, after 7pm and
after 9:30am. I suppose it could have a more complicated structure that
specifically raised zone 1 prices in the peaks, but even fewer people
would understand it then.

And the nature of Oyster, especially with PAYG, distracts you away
from the price anyway, just like post-payment of electricity bills[1]
and the likes.

[1] I've long thought that one of the best ways to reduce home
electricity consumption (to benefit the environment) would be to
mandate the use of pre-payment card meters as the only method of
payment.

Neil

--
Neil Williams
Old July 26th 08, 03:46 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message
On 19 Jul, 02:28, "Jonathan" wrote:
Public transport has always been awful; and over the past couple of years
I've noticed that more and more often I'm squashed inside a bus or train,
with hardly enough room to breathe, because the company decided to cancel
earlier buses or trains without notice, and without making any
alternative
arrangements.

If there was a decent tube system in south london some of the pressure
would be taken off the overground trains. But the amount of overground
lines has always been used as an excuse for not further extending the
tube south of the river rather than thinking the services could
complement each other. The its-difficult-to-tunnel excuse no longer
holds water in the 21st century so I guess the only obstacle now would
be money as it ever was - we have tight fisted victorians to thank for
the piddly mainline loading gauge meaning we can't have double deck
trains , and the frankly farcical loading gauge on the deep level tube
lines.

B2003

Lots of people I've spoken to about the petition have made lots of seemingly
excellent suggestions as to how public transport might be improved in the
long term.

But this misses the point of the petition, which is that transport operating
companies seem to routinely pull trains, buses and tubes out of service,
without putting any sort of substitute in place. The net result being that
drivers of services after large gaps attempt to solve the problem of the
backlog of passengers by cramming as many people into vehicles as possible.

Ultimately, changes to the system will have to be made, and someone will
have to spend some money upgrading the transport system we have at present.
But even if money is spent, unless transport operating companies stop
pulling vehicles out of service without notice and without providing a
substitute service, then passengers will continue to be frequently
jam-packed into carriages to a point where they almost cannot breathe, and
cannot exit without extreme difficulty.

This is the point of the petition.

I believe that that sort of gross-overcrowding situation is dangerous, and
will result in people being badly hurt or possibly even killed at some point
in the future.

--
Jonathan
http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/sardines/

Old July 26th 08, 07:27 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 26 Jul 2008 04:46:23 +0100, "Jonathan" wrote:

I believe that that sort of gross-overcrowding situation is dangerous, and
will result in people being badly hurt or possibly even killed at some point
in the future.

As some have pointed out, and I will as well, it is unpleasant but not
really dangerous. It is true that if something happened to the
vehicle concerned more people would be killed than otherwise, but
that's just because the vehicle *contains* more people. I don't
believe a given person in a train carriage containing 150 in a
crush-load would be any more at risk of being killed in such an
accident than if it contained 70 all in seats. Indeed, they might be
a bit safer, because the crush-load might prevent them being thrown
the length of the train in a collision.

There is the issue of those who can't stand for long or can't handle
the high temperatures you might get, but the best option for them if
they know that is to get off and wait for the next one. With your
suggestion, realistically that's what they'd end up having to do
anyway.

Now, I don't think crush-loading is something that should be happening
day-to-day as a matter of course, and there are some routes where it
is that should be sorted out with more capacity. (There are some such
bus routes in Central London which really should get a few more buses
per hour taken from other very quiet routes, for instance). But if it
is necessary to clear disruption, it isn't harmful and it happens the
world over.

Neil

--
Neil Williams
Old July 26th 08, 10:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message
[...]

So what? In almost every case good and improved public transport will
create a surge in demand on not only the new service but on parts of the
network that feed it. Has the Jubilee Line Extension really eased
congestion or has it opened up new corridors and journey possibilities
that didn't exist before? Will London Overground and the ELLX create
sublime travelling conditions for orbital journeys for decades or will
there be a huge surge in demand within 18-24 months of it opening? I'd
suggest it would be latter.

But this misses the point of the petition, which is that transport operating
companies seem to routinely pull trains, buses and tubes out of service,
without putting any sort of substitute in place. The net result being that
drivers of services after large gaps attempt to solve the problem of the
backlog of passengers by cramming as many people into vehicles as possible.

Sorry but things go wrong for a whole pile of legitimate reasons and
sometimes due to complete cock ups. This happens to Tesco and Homebase
just like it happens to bus and rail companies. The consequence in
retail is that you can't buy what you want, you can't pay using your
preferred method of payment or else the frozen chicken is a strange
shade of green and is climbing out of the freezer. Nonetheless there
isn't a contingency range of stock or a secondary debit card payment
system. You go somewhere else or pay by cash. Only in the chicken
example might you be offered some compensation and a replacement - due
to legal issues and the desire to maintain a good corporate image.

Bus and train companies just do not have loads of vehicles and drivers
just waiting to spring into action to fill gaps. Most of the time there
will be no issue at all and certainly not the "safety risk" you seem to
imagine is waiting to leap out from behind a hedge and to inflict death
and destruction on standing passengers.

Have you travelled in the Far East? I have and can tell you that
travelling conditions there are far more crushed than here. They have
extremely efficient and reliable trains and well run bus networks and
yet there is no demand for constraints and restrictions due to safety
concerns. It is recognised that travel at peak times will mean a crush
and places like Tokyo, Hong Kong and Singapore all have well planned,
medium - long term strategies to keep building new lines, extensions,
resignalling and to buy more rolling stock. I'm of the opinion that all
of their good work will still result in overcrowding because the extra
capacity facilitates easier access to work and leisure facilities and
thus people travel more. Good and improved public transport also
triggers further economic development which creates more reasons for
people to travel - it's a viscious cycle but a positive one overall.

Ultimately, changes to the system will have to be made, and someone will
have to spend some money upgrading the transport system we have at present.

Fine - I completely agree with that but first I'd like the country to
work out some objectives and priorities for what it wants its transport
network to do and an agreed, long term way of delivering those
objectives and priorities. Until we do this we'll keep getting our
repeated lurches from left to right in our transport policies which gets
us nowhere.

But even if money is spent, unless transport operating companies stop
pulling vehicles out of service without notice and without providing a
substitute service, then passengers will continue to be frequently
jam-packed into carriages to a point where they almost cannot breathe, and
cannot exit without extreme difficulty.

Sorry but it's been like this for decades and will continue to be so. As
others have mentioned, the Central Line in the peak is as badly crowded
now as it was back in the 80s when I first used it and I dare say back
several decades before then when it had a bigger catchment area as other
tube and rail lines weren't in use.

You are demanding a panacea that is undeliverable. The alternative is a
fully reserved tube, bus and train service which is a palpable nonsense
because it is unmanageable in the context of almost all railway services
(TGV and Eurostar being particular exceptions). It would also be hugely
unpopular with the public because some people prefer to stand and it
would make journey times longer, the service less attractive and also
make the cost of any new line or extension unsustainable. The final
result would be to worsen safety because people would transfer to the
roads and use cars which are less safe than public transport.

This is the point of the petition.

I believe that that sort of gross-overcrowding situation is dangerous, and
will result in people being badly hurt or possibly even killed at some point
in the future.

You clearly do not understand what the safety regulations say in respect
of the (bus and rail) transport industry. There is no requirement to
provide seats for everyone - in fact just the opposite is allowed. There
is a test of reasonable practicality in terms of safety improvement and
that invokes whether it is value for money to spend the money. I have
to say that your perception of danger is out of kilter with that of many
other people and to try to use such an incorrect perception as the basis
of arguing for transport improvement is unlikely to secure any
improvement whatsoever. There are loads of other very good arguments
for improving public transport - I suggest you employ those instead.
--
Paul C

Old July 27th 08, 06:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Jonathan
writes

Public transport has always been awful; and over the past couple of years
I've noticed that more and more often I'm squashed inside a bus or train,
with hardly enough room to breathe, because the company decided to cancel
earlier buses or trains without notice, and without making any alternative
arrangements.

Because I believe that this gross-overcrowding is a serious risk to public
health and safety, I've created a petition at
http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/sardines/ asking for action to be taken to stop
this gross-overcrowding.

Therefore, if anyone else here shares my concerns, please co-sign the
petition, and if possible, please pass the message along to a few friends.

If you're stupid enough to cram yourself on an already full bus or
train, you only have yourself to blame - it's not like anyone's stood at
the stop forcing you to get on.
Old July 28th 08, 08:08 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Jul 27, 7:27 pm, Steve Fitzgerald ] wrote:
Therefore, if anyone else here shares my concerns, please co-sign the
petition, and if possible, please pass the message along to a few friends.

If you're stupid enough to cram yourself on an already full bus or
train, you only have yourself to blame - it's not like anyone's stood at
the stop forcing you to get on.

So you don't have to be in work at a certain time? No one would force
themselves on a bus or train if they knew the next one was coming 2
minutes later and was almost empty. However thats generally not the
case is it.

B2003