Old July 22nd 08, 08:44 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Man electrocuted after urinating on track

michael adams wrote:
"According to the Sun, the man was in Britain in an attempt to improve his English."

/ quote

But not including "Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh" presumably.

"Your wife is a big hippo?" Not sure that would have helped.

Colin McKenzie

--
No-one has ever proved that cycle helmets make cycling any safer at the
population level, and anyway cycling is about as safe per mile as walking.

Old July 22nd 08, 09:30 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

A TV show here in North America called "Myth Busters". The program sets out
to prove, or disprove myths.

The "Busted" the peeing on the rail myth.

See: -

http://kwc.org/mythbusters/2003/10/m..._bricks_t.html

--
Cheers
Roger T.

Old July 22nd 08, 09:49 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Yes Charles...

CBS1 was still around for about 7 years after I
started work. The 'posh' areas around Warrington
were built mainly on sandy soil and both the CBS1
and the CB system party lines, when the latter
weren't fiercely resisted by wealthy and influential
people, were always a problem to maintain in dry weather.

The solution was to do as you described --- or to
pray for rain!

Regards,

DigitisED (Eddie Bellass)

Eddie & Margaret Bellass,
Merseyside, United Kingdom.

by a leading anti-virus system - updated continuously.

Old July 22nd 08, 10:58 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Colin McKenzie wrote:
michael adams wrote:
"According to the Sun, the man was in Britain in an attempt to improve
his English."

/ quote

But not including "Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh" presumably.

"Your wife is a big hippo?" Not sure that would have helped.

I thought that translated as "my hovercraft is full of eels"

--
Bruce Fletcher
Stronsay, Orkney
Old July 22nd 08, 11:20 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Bruce Fletcher (Stronsay, Orkney)" wrote in
message ...
Colin McKenzie wrote:
michael adams wrote:
"According to the Sun, the man was in Britain in an attempt to improve
his English."

/ quote

But not including "Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh" presumably.

"Your wife is a big hippo?" Not sure that would have helped.

I thought that translated as "my hovercraft is full of eels"

Nah, it means "My postilion has been struck by lightning".

Old July 23rd 08, 06:42 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote in message
http://www.metro.co.uk/weird/article...0&in_page_id=2

ISTR an episode of "Mythbusters" that suggested this wasn't possible
(the stream would probably stops being a continuous one by the time it
hit the live rail and thus wouldn't be able to conduct), although
given the reports say he "walked onto the track" perhaps he
accidentally made contact with the electrified line another way.

I understand that there was a case of someone peeing over a brige somewhere
between Sheffield and Manchester in the days when the Woodhead line was
open.

Peter Fox

Old July 24th 08, 11:21 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Peter Fox" wrote in message

wrote in message
http://www.metro.co.uk/weird/article...0&in_page_id=2

ISTR an episode of "Mythbusters" that suggested this wasn't possible
(the stream would probably stops being a continuous one by the time it
hit the live rail and thus wouldn't be able to conduct), although
given the reports say he "walked onto the track" perhaps he
accidentally made contact with the electrified line another way.

I understand that there was a case of someone peeing over a brige
somewhere between Sheffield and Manchester in the days when the Woodhead
line was open.

Peter Fox

Trust me, it wouldn't need to be a continuous stream- it would be a case of
'join the drops'. I heard a (possibly apocryphal) story of a similar event
during the WW2 blackouts, when three electrocuted male bodies were found
next to a live rail.
My boss, who used to be a Tonbridge guard, used to tell of a regular parcels
turn to Bricklayer's Arms. After stabling the train, they would cross the SE
mainline to get a pass back. If it was wet, and especially if it were a fine
drizzle, they would get a mild belt when stepping over the live rail, as
their despatch-riders' leather overcoats (this was before the days of
free-issue Hi-Vis) would pass over it without touching. This was in rain,
which is a relatively poor conductor in comparison with a liquid containing
lots of dissolved salts.
Brian

Old July 24th 08, 03:43 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In article , BH Williams
scribeth thus

"Peter Fox" wrote in message

wrote in message
[...]

Ummm..measurement called for W.R.T. plain old tap water..

--
Tony Sayer

Old July 24th 08, 07:00 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

One day I was called to a farm which had reported
their dog howling in distress every time the phone
rang. ...

The farmer had secured his dog with a new steel chain
fastened by an eyebolt to a flat steel bar spiked into the
farmhouse wall. In doing so he had broken the earth
wire for the telephone. ...

In the usual version of this story, the dog barks *before*
the phone rings, because the phone doesn't get enough ringing
current until the urine completes the circuit.

Not that I believe it.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "I'd opt for Oz, myself."
--Buck Henry
Old July 24th 08, 07:20 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

contrex wrote:
On 22 Jul, 20:05, Brian Robertson wrote:
Here to improve his scrounging more like.

Brian.

Do you think you could kindly bugger off?

Naaaah!