Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old September 12th 03, 07:23 AM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

Default Enfield to Putney - which route?

Just thought I'd chuck this in the London group as well.

Yesterday I had the pleasure of driving from Enfield to Putney in the rush
hour (leaving NE Enfield - near Freezy Water, at 5:35pm).

I cut across a few local roads, and across the level crossing at Enfield
Lock station, and down the A1055 (Mollison Avenue / Meridian Way) to the
North Circular, which wasn't too bad. Then around the North Circular to

the
A13, and then along there, along Aspen Way / Limehouse Link, up the

Highway,
over Tower Bridge, around through Lambeth (out of Congestion charging
hours), out on the Embankment, then along Lots Road, up Kings Road and up

Putney Bridge. Well, in the end I got fed up with King's Road and cut up

Fulham Broadway, and went along the Fulham Road, but I doubt this made all
that much difference to tell the truth.

Anyway, it was all flowing fine all the way up to the Canning Town

flyover,
where it all ground to a halt, with traffic joining from the Woolwich

Ferry.
Took a while to get over there, and then the Highway was slow all the way

Tower Bridge, though the bridge itself wasn't too bad. Then it was fine
along the Embankment, and then Kings Road was very slow (and that was
joining it at 1930!) - overall I got to Putney (Lower Richmond Road) at
about 1945.

Would I have been better off going another way? As far as I see it the

only
real alternatives would have been M25 to the M4, M25 to the M40, then A40,
then A3220 down towards Chelsea etc., or A406 anticlockwise towards the

A40,
then A40 into town and A3220. I can't see how any of these would have

been
any quicker - just wondering what people's ideas were?

Cheers,

Peter