Old August 1st 08, 08:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default Storage of London tube stock?

"Rupert Candy" wrote in message
On Aug 1, 9:04 pm, D7666 wrote:

I'm usually shot down whenever I suggest new stock for the IOW.

My favourite plan remains Siemens Avanto tram/trains for both
Lymington and IOW.

I couldn't agree more - though (given that wretched tunnel) they'd
either need street running along Ryde Esplanade or to persuade Siemens
to produce a limited run of tube-profiled units. Though I suppose they
might sell some to Berlin.

Aren't Siemens tendering for the new Piccadilly Line stock?

Old August 1st 08, 09:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In message
Rupert Candy wrote:

On Aug 1, 8:35*pm, "Paul Scott"
wrote:
Rupert Candy wrote:
Remind me again - why couldn't they send the old Jubilee stock to the
Island, or tack on an order for (say) 8 2-car units to the end of the
Victoria Line production run?

Probably the effect of sea spray on modern underfloor electronics while
trundling along Ryde Pier. *See Voyagers and Dawlish for similar
problems...

I suppose so, though Portsmouth Harbour doesn't seem to have scuttled
the Desiros yet...

Portsmouth Harbour is very well sheltered compared with the other locations.
You don't get a lot of spray there.

--
Graeme Wall
This address is not read, substitute trains for rail.
Old August 1st 08, 10:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

I suppose so, though Portsmouth Harbour doesn't seem to have scuttled
the Desiros yet...

But underside sea spray proofing might have bene in the spec - whereas
this would not have been a '83 stock requirement.

--
Nick
Old August 1st 08, 11:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Presumably, the new stock for the Victoria Line, if ...

1) Production has started on the main fleet
2) The pre-series testing on the prototype unit(s) hasn't been
completed.

Other than that, no idea.

Possibly not just tube stock but also new S stock ?

I did think of the "S" stock when I wrote my original reply, but these
haven't even reached the pre-series prototype stage yet have they?

Old August 2nd 08, 01:00 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article
,
(D7666) wrote:

I suppose so, though Portsmouth Harbour doesn't seem to have
scuttled the Desiros yet...

But underside sea spray proofing might have bene in the spec -
whereas this would not have been a '83 stock requirement.

I thought the problem was that even working vaguely reliably wasn't in
the 1983TS spec?

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Old August 2nd 08, 03:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Aug 2, 12:49 am, Matt Forbes wrote:

Possibly not just tube stock but also new S stock ?

I did think of the "S" stock when I wrote my original reply, but these
haven't even reached the pre-series prototype stage yet have they?

Indeed; a key fact missing from the report is how long depot to be
used.

--
Nick

Old August 5th 08, 10:34 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Chaps,

I believe you _may_ be barking up the wrong tree.

There is a plan for the best of the 1962 stock to be stored undercover
for possible use on the Bakerloo. At least, this was the suggested
plan a year ago, when TfL made no secret of its wish to reroute the
Watford-Euston DC service to Primrose Hill, and run tube stock through
from Watford to Elephant.

However, storage of 2009 victoria line stock also seems plausible - I
believe there may need to be a switch of trains en-masse, as the old
and new signalling systems are not compatible.

On the met, the S stock will be able to operate under conventional
signalling, as the auto operation will come later.
Old August 5th 08, 12:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message . uk, Colin
Rosenstiel writes
There is a plan for the best of the 1962 stock to be stored
undercover
for possible use on the Bakerloo. At least, this was the suggested
plan a year ago, when TfL made no secret of its wish to reroute the
Watford-Euston DC service to Primrose Hill, and run tube stock through
from Watford to Elephant.

That'll the the 1972 stock. It comprises about 4 trains' worth of the
Victoria Line stock.

I think part of the plan involves using some 1967 stock cars as 'inner'
cars too.
Old August 5th 08, 01:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Aug 5, 11:34 am, wrote:
I believe you _may_ be barking up the wrong tree.

There is a plan for the best of the 1962 stock to be stored undercover
for possible use on the Bakerloo. At least, this was the suggested
plan a year ago, when TfL made no secret of its wish to reroute the
Watford-Euston DC service to Primrose Hill, and run tube stock through
from Watford to Elephant.

s/2/7, surely? Unless they'll be using the A62s to run a shuttle from
Queens Park to Watford, which would be, err, eccentric.

However, storage of 2009 victoria line stock also seems plausible - I
believe there may need to be a switch of trains en-masse, as the old
and new signalling systems are not compatible.

The system is intended to allow the 67 and 09 stock to work in
parallel:
http://tinyurl.com/54ueqb
However, it sounds like the 09 stock won't be able to operate until
the new signalling system is in operation (with the old one running in
parallel), so if there are delays to the upgrade programme then the
09s may have to go and hide for a while...

On the met, the S stock will be able to operate under conventional
signalling, as the auto operation will come later.

Indeed. Which reminds me, we should have a sweepstake for the
withdrawal date of the last of the D78 stock. I'm guessing Jan 2017...

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org