Old August 1st 08, 04:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default Storage of London tube stock?

Bletchley Traction Depot

In this months Railway Magazine there is a picture of the front of
Bletchley depot with the accompanying caption
“Bletchley traction depot closed on May 31 when operations transferred
to Northampton, but its last day was marked by an unusual ‘first’ when
ex-LMS Pacific No. 6233 visited the depot. The shed is to be used for
the storage of London Tube stock.

Does anyone know what London tube stock is going to be stored there?

John Burke
WRUG

Old August 1st 08, 04:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Aug 1, 6:04*pm, wrote:

Does anyone know what London tube stock is going to be stored there?

Presumably, the new stock for the Victoria Line, if ...

1) Production has started on the main fleet
2) The pre-series testing on the prototype unit(s) hasn't been
completed.

Other than that, no idea.

Old August 1st 08, 04:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

wrote:

Does anyone know what London tube stock is going to be stored there?

Precedent might suggest that it will be whatever is destined for the
Isle of Wight in about 2050.
--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p14486554.html
(43 062 at Reading, 13 Jul 1999)
Old August 1st 08, 05:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Fri, 1 Aug 2008 09:30:38 -0700 (PDT), Matt Forbes
wrote:

On Aug 1, 6:04*pm, wrote:

Does anyone know what London tube stock is going to be stored there?

Presumably, the new stock for the Victoria Line, if ...

1) Production has started on the main fleet
2) The pre-series testing on the prototype unit(s) hasn't been
completed.

Other than that, no idea.

Possibly not just tube stock but also new S stock ?
Old August 1st 08, 07:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Aug 1, 5:55*pm, Chris Tolley wrote:
wrote:
Does anyone know what London tube stock is going to be stored there?

Precedent might suggest that it will be whatever is destined for the
Isle of Wight in about 2050.

Don't joke! I couldn't believe the way in which the 1938 stock's
bodywork has deteriorated in the past few years - huge patches of rust
right the way along the solebar and over the roof. The refurbishment
and repaint looks very pretty, but you really get the feeling they're
papering (or painting!) over the cracks...

Remind me again - why couldn't they send the old Jubilee stock to the
Island, or tack on an order for (say) 8 2-car units to the end of the
Victoria Line production run?

Old August 1st 08, 07:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

wrote:
Does anyone know what London tube stock is going to be stored there?

Precedent might suggest that it will be whatever is destined for the
Isle of Wight in about 2050.

Don't joke! I couldn't believe the way in which the 1938 stock's
bodywork has deteriorated in the past few years - huge patches of rust
right the way along the solebar and over the roof. The refurbishment
and repaint looks very pretty, but you really get the feeling they're
papering (or painting!) over the cracks...

Remind me again - why couldn't they send the old Jubilee stock to the
Island, or tack on an order for (say) 8 2-car units to the end of the
Victoria Line production run?

Probably the effect of sea spray on modern underfloor electronics while
trundling along Ryde Pier. See Voyagers and Dawlish for similar problems...

Paul

Old August 1st 08, 08:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Aug 1, 8:35*pm, "Paul Scott"
wrote:
Rupert Candy wrote:
Remind me again - why couldn't they send the old Jubilee stock to the
Island, or tack on an order for (say) 8 2-car units to the end of the
Victoria Line production run?

Probably the effect of sea spray on modern underfloor electronics while
trundling along Ryde Pier. *See Voyagers and Dawlish for similar problems...

I suppose so, though Portsmouth Harbour doesn't seem to have scuttled
the Desiros yet...
Old August 1st 08, 08:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Aug 1, 8:30 pm, Rupert Candy wrote:

Remind me again - why couldn't they send the old Jubilee stock to the
Island,

Urban legend reputes underside electronics too exposed to sea water on
the pier.

I find that one hard to beleive it was a blocking point. I can
understand it might be a factor but given the age of '83 stock at
withdrawal, that they could have been acquired at scrap value with
oodles of spares, I'd suggest costs of relocating or sealing or
replacing that equipment would show a saving over unit whole life.

or tack on an order for (say) 8 2-car units to the end of the
Victoria Line production run?

I'm usually shot down whenever I suggest new stock for the IOW.

My favourite plan remains Siemens Avanto tram/trains for both
Lymington and IOW.

--
Nick
Old August 1st 08, 08:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Rupert Candy wrote:
On Aug 1, 8:35 pm, "Paul Scott"
wrote:
Rupert Candy wrote:
Remind me again - why couldn't they send the old Jubilee stock to
the Island, or tack on an order for (say) 8 2-car units to the end
of the Victoria Line production run?

Probably the effect of sea spray on modern underfloor electronics
while trundling along Ryde Pier. See Voyagers and Dawlish for
similar problems...

I suppose so, though Portsmouth Harbour doesn't seem to have scuttled
the Desiros yet...

I don't think waves ever reach track level in the harbour station though...

Paul

Old August 1st 08, 08:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Aug 1, 9:04*pm, D7666 wrote:

I'm usually shot down whenever I suggest new stock for the IOW.

My favourite plan remains Siemens Avanto tram/trains for both
Lymington and IOW.

I couldn't agree more - though (given that wretched tunnel) they'd
either need street running along Ryde Esplanade or to persuade Siemens
to produce a limited run of tube-profiled units. Though I suppose they
might sell some to Berlin.