Old August 1st 08, 04:22 PM posted to misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default BBC: Attempt to "Save" Lost Euston Arch

On Jul 31, 3:41*pm, "Mortimer" wrote:
"Andy Kirkham" wrote in message

On Jul 31, 10:52 pm, Charlie Hulme
wrote:
tim..... wrote:
I understood it to be somewhere (not) underneath what is now the bus
station
(i.e nowhere near the platforms at all)

It was roughly where the lower level concourse across
the platforms is today.

I admit that for a long time I assumed it must have
been *between the two lodges on Euston Road - and
funnily enough that is where the rebuilding proponents
would like it to be in the future.

Interesting that so many of us thought that the Arch was close to Euston
Road rather than a hundred yards or so further north. I'd always pictured
cars passing to and fro along Euston Road right next to columns.

It's a great shame that the arch couldn't have been moved slightly south
when the station was extended/rebuilt rather than being destroyed.

It would be nice to meet those who made the decision to destroy the arch
altogether, and bury *them* at the bottom of a river instead of the stone
;-)

The sixties really were an appalling decade for a "slash and burn" attitude
to anything old.

http://www.eustonarch.org

The one thing I dislike about that site is their
sneering (to borrow a word from another thread) at the
present station building, whose architecture (in my
view) is fine ... or was until they filled the place
with stalls selling unnecessary plastic objects.

Charlie

I'm inclined to agree that it's a fine building, but not satisfying as
a railway station because of the separation of the circulating area
from the platforms. The impression I get is that the building is
rather ashamed of the trains and that it would much rather be an
airport.

It's a bland soul-less place, and it suffers from the dreaded "underground
platforms syndrome" (well, platforms with buildings directly on top instead
of the nice open trainsheds of Kings Cross, St Pancras and Paddington).
Liverpool Street is a much better example of a modernised station that has
kept a bit of character without the buildings over the platforms creating a
dingy subterranean feel.

Those are my sentiments entirely. I consider the modernization of
Liverpool Street to be brilliant. It is an architectural gem. The
station is greatly improved. It now works well. No other
modernization, in London, compares with it. The new Euston sucks raw
lemons.

Of course it's much less off-putting than BNS, but that's in a world of its
own ;-)

The gates of Hades cannot be darker than BNS.

Old August 1st 08, 04:36 PM posted to misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london,uk.railway

1506 wrote:

The gates of Hades cannot be darker than BNS.

Brussels Central?