Old July 31st 08, 08:03 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

Default BBC: Attempt to "Save" Lost Euston Arch

On Jul 31, 12:52*pm, (Neil Williams)
wrote:
On Thu, 31 Jul 2008 19:33:25 +0100, "Paul"

I keep forgetting to check when I'm up at Euston, but am I right in thinking
the arch would not have been in the way of the 1960s development anyway?

I was told that it was located such that the extension of several
platforms would not have been feasible had it remained.

The real blight on Euston is the tower block right in front of it,
anyway. *The rest of the station is fine given the tweaks that will be
done to it, e.g. the removal of all the retail units from the
concourse.

Neil

Am I right in thinking that the tower is a more recent addition. Some
how I recall it dating from the '70s, or '80s.

Old July 31st 08, 09:51 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

On Thu, 31 Jul 2008 13:03:27 -0700 (PDT), 1506
wrote:

Am I right in thinking that the tower is a more recent addition. Some
how I recall it dating from the '70s, or '80s.

Could well be - but Euston, and particularly the bus station, would be
far nicer if it was open to the park and the road.

Neil

--
Neil Williams
Old August 1st 08, 04:09 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

wrote:
Am I right in thinking that the tower is a more recent addition. *Some
how I recall it dating from the '70s, or '80s.

Could well be - but Euston, and particularly the bus station, would be
far nicer if it was open to the park and the road.

Neil

It has been a while since I was there. In front of Euston I would
like to see:

1. Better Access to Euston Square Station.
2. Easy access for Taxis.
3. Open Space.
4. The rebuilt Arch

On the subject of the Arch: Surely the important thing is to locate
drawing and pictures of the original and to construct a replica.
There is little merit in bringing the original stone back from its
watery grave.