Old August 2nd 08, 11:16 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default missing moorgate

on http://www.abandonedstations.org.uk/...e_station.html, there
are pictures of several abandoned corridoors and passages at moorgate
which connect to the northern city line platforms. But every time I
try to piece them together, there always seems to be an important
missing detail - there are no doorways, blocked or otherwise, which
seem to actually join the northern city platforms. So what I wanted to
know was how you would have originally got into these passages from
the platforms - was there an exit at the platform headwall? and how
would it relate to the photographs (ie. where does it join up)?

another strange moorgate feature on that site is that there was a
corridoor on the "other side of the lifts" for the northern line
heading in the opposite direction, towards "the Metropolitan". Can it
really be the case that if you were going from the northern line to
the metropolitan you were supposed to wait for a lift to turn up and
then just walk through it?

The northern city line also has a long passage to the metropolitan
line. So there are two long twisty passages to the metropolitan line
from the northern and northern city lines, but neither passage is in
use. As these seem to have been at least two floors below the
metropolitan line, then presumably there must have been some sort of
stairs to bring them up to the right level; so, since they wouldn't
need lifts, is there any reason they can't bring these back into use
as they would be much needed congestion relief?

Do they perhaps come out in really awkward places on the metropolitan
line platforms? If not, could they be turned into disabled access to
the northern/northern city platforms?

Old August 2nd 08, 12:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2 Aug, 12:16, lonelytraveller
wrote:
onhttp://www.abandonedstations.org.uk/Moorgate_station.html, there
are pictures of several abandoned corridoors and passages at moorgate
which connect to the northern city line platforms. But every time I
try to piece them together, there always seems to be an important
missing detail - there are no doorways, blocked or otherwise, which
seem to actually join the northern city platforms. So what I wanted to

The upper levels of Moorgate station were rebuilt when the barbican
centre was built in the 70s. In fact I think the station itself may
have been moved. Any disused passages that existed before then are
long since sealed up or filled in up at the Circle line level.

B2003

Old August 3rd 08, 03:49 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
onhttp://www.abandonedstations.org.uk/Moorgate_station.html, there
are pictures of several abandoned corridoors and passages at moorgate
which connect to the northern city line platforms. But every time I
try to piece them together, there always seems to be an important
missing detail - there are no doorways, blocked or otherwise, which
seem to actually join the northern city platforms. So what I wanted to

The upper levels of Moorgate station were rebuilt when the barbican
centre was built in the 70s. In fact I think the station itself may
have been moved. Any disused passages that existed before then are
long since sealed up or filled in up at the Circle line level.

B2003

The photos on that site for several of the passages are dated 2004
Old August 3rd 08, 01:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 3 Aug, 04:49, lonelytraveller
wrote:
The photos on that site for several of the passages are dated 2004

And notice how some are sealed up with a concrete plug or
breezeblocks. Now I wonder why...

B2003
Old August 3rd 08, 02:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
The photos on that site for several of the passages are dated 2004

And notice how some are sealed up with a concrete plug or
breezeblocks. Now I wonder why...

B2003

If the photos exist, someone was in there to take them. Ie. they are
still accessible, so my questions remain

Old August 5th 08, 10:03 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Remember that Moorgate has been rebuilt twice, thus old passages are to be
found in places that seem odd in relation to the station of today. Someone
somewhere must have a map that makes sense of it all, any effort on my part
to either draw or explain the layout would probably be hopelessly inaccurate
or confuse further.

However:

The exits from both Northern and Northern City lines were at the southern
end of both sets of platforms and access to them still exists, not
necessarily directly from the platforms themselves.

The former Northern line passageways lead to 1) the lifts, 2) circular
emergency stairs (of same type as those that still in use from Northern
Line/Northern City line/ticket office), and 3) *possibly* a lift-avoiding
passageway to connect with the Met line passageway without having to go
through the lifts. The emergency stairs still lead up to the surface (not
known whether blocked off or not). Halfway up, a passageway leads a few
yards toward the Met line before it is blocked off.

The Northern City passageways are used for ventilation, hence the enormous
fan seen in one of the photos, and still lead to the Met line platforms. The
condition of them is not good, they have very narrow staircases, and they
start/finish in such awkward places that it is doubtful they would serve
much purpose if reopened, presumably why they weren't considered worth
keeping open when the station was redesigned.

Just to add more to this is the old (non-Met) ticket office (not featured on
the site), which still exists somewhere, east, I think, of the existing main
hall at sub-surface level.

----------
In article
,

Old August 6th 08, 12:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

subterraneo wrote:

Remember that Moorgate has been rebuilt twice, thus old passages are
to be found in places that seem odd in relation to the station of
today. Someone somewhere must have a map that makes sense of it all,

There will be such a map for the Fire Brigade in the ticket hall.

Old October 4th 09, 04:34 PM
Junior Member

Hi, I know this is an old link, but I have copies of the station plans for the City & South London Moorgate station, so I'll Explain them through to you.
The PLatforms Go North to South, from 12 oclock (North) to 6 oclock (South). At the far end (6 oclock) there is a passage (Which I shall call AA), which used to be a platform cross passage that leads, via stairs to a spiral staircase from the booking hall (which are not original) The spiral stairs begin on the right hand side, on the left hand side is a door, which behind this is the passageway that leads to the lifts (This originally was the one from lifts to platforms.) The passageway curves around to 7 oclock with a 1 in 10 incline and has an entrance Which I shall call BB) to the original sprial staircase on the right hand side (I'll get back to this later). The first photograph on the abandoned stations site is therefore taken just after this staircase entrance heading towards the lifts. In the picture, the passage curves again at the end, which is a curve to 9 oclock where the exit to the lifts are on the right hand side. The second photo shows one of the two lift shafts. Therefore going to the other side, the entrance to the lifts are in my right and the passageway follows the same direction from 9 oclock, but has a sharper curve just a little bit further along (at this curve, the passageway from the spiral staircase joins on the right hand side, which I shall call CC) and the curve is about half 7 oclock. This is where you find the 3rd picture on the site as being sealed off. This passage remains at level and effectively curves to 6 oclock above the other passage at the cross passage (AA). This passage then begines to decline at a 1 in 10, headin parallel to the platform (Going to 12 oclock) , then decends 18 steps. The entrance is in a cross passageway, where the more modern stairs for the exit to the escalator are, once you desend the modern steps you see a white a modern white tiled wall, turn left for Morden, Right for Euston. Behind this tiled wall is the 18 steps and sealed passageway.
Back to the spiral stairs, because BB exit passage is on a incline and CC entrance passage is level, BB exit passage has 6 steps to bring it level with the CC cross passage. The stairs then are on BB left and CC right, which is a 25 stair passage which then leads to the spiral staircase (situated above the curve of the lift passage exit)
Grab a pen and lets us know how you got on !

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Rowland View Post
subterraneo wrote:[color=blue][i]

In article
,
lonelytraveller
wrote:

[...]

.

Google Mobile Maps - Missing lots of Tube Stations AJM London Transport 2 April 27th 12 02:08 PM
missing transport max London Transport 4 January 23rd 11 09:14 PM
Poster missing Metropolitan Line Closure Walter Briscoe London Transport 1 January 14th 11 09:55 AM
Underground Stations and missing panels.... JMUpton2000 London Transport 63 August 15th 06 05:36 PM
Trains to Moorgate now go via Liverpool Street John London Transport 3 November 24th 03 01:30 PM