Old August 15th 08, 10:48 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Eurostar to Paris

Sorry for my question being mostly off-topic, but maybe you can help
me anyway ...

Next week I'll be travelling from London to Paris by Eurostar. Maybe
someone on this group who uses this route frequently could give me an
impression whether the trains on this route arrive fairly on time at
Paris-Nord.

I have to catch a connection in Paris at Gare de l'Est, which is only
a short distance to walk, but I wonder if one can make it in the 45-
minute gap between arrival and departure if my train was delayed.

Thanks,
Johannes

Old August 15th 08, 12:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 03:48:52 -0700 (PDT), Johannes
wrote:

I have to catch a connection in Paris at Gare de l'Est, which is only
a short distance to walk, but I wonder if one can make it in the 45-
minute gap between arrival and departure if my train was delayed.

I would say it's just about OK. 45 minutes is the least I would
allow, though. Other people here may well be less optimistic than I
am, I tend to do things at the last minute!

I've had two late arrivals that I can remember, but all the others
have been perfect. My worst journey was the other way, from Est to
Nord, after a sleeper arrived very late from Zurich.

You could be 20-25 minutes late and still get there anyway. There's
not much to admire on a slow walk!

I would consider:
- do I *have* to get my connecting train (because the ticket requires
it, or there aren't many trains to that destination)?
- do I have a ticket for the whole journey - might help if things go
wrong?
- what is the minimum connection time offered by - if you can make it
work - http://www.voyages-sncf.com ?

Richard.
Old August 15th 08, 12:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Aug 15, 11:48 am, Johannes wrote:
Sorry for my question being mostly off-topic, but maybe you can help
me anyway ...

Next week I'll be travelling from London to Paris by Eurostar. Maybe
someone on this group who uses this route frequently could give me an
impression whether the trains on this route arrive fairly on time at
Paris-Nord.

Its always been on time when I've used it but it would be unwise to
rely on it. Sods law says it'll be late just when you're running to a
tight schedule. Could you not get the previous eurostar?

B2003

Old August 15th 08, 12:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Richard wrote:

- do I have a ticket for the whole journey - might help if things go
wrong?

Yes- whatever you do make sure you have a Eurostar ticket in advance.
Last year I went from Gard du Nord from Gare de Lyon to catch the last
London train and got there with an hour to spare but they had no
dedicated counter to sell economy class tickets for that train and
several of us had to queue behind people buying complicated advanced
stuff. Eventually, about five fo us were forced to buy business class
tickets (over 300 euros) as there were of course about three people
sitting at those desks doing nothing. I emailed Eurostar to complain
later and they did send me a free open first class return.

However, I do realise that even a single economy Eurostar fare can be
costly - much more often than a return.

E.

Old August 15th 08, 01:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Hello Johannes !
It is always on time, except when ther is an accident.

Michèle

If you are late, there is an undergroud and buses.

Old August 15th 08, 09:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

eastender wrote:
Richard wrote:

- do I have a ticket for the whole journey - might help if things go
wrong?

Yes- whatever you do make sure you have a Eurostar ticket in advance.
Last year I went from Gard du Nord from Gare de Lyon to catch the last
London train and got there with an hour to spare but they had no
dedicated counter to sell economy class tickets for that train and
several of us had to queue behind people buying complicated advanced
stuff. Eventually, about five fo us were forced to buy business class
tickets (over 300 euros) as there were of course about three people
sitting at those desks doing nothing. I emailed Eurostar to complain
later and they did send me a free open first class return.

Killing time by playing with a ticket machine in Lille Flanders (not the
Eurostar station) station a few months ago, I found that it appeared to
offer tickets to London.

However, I do realise that even a single economy Eurostar fare can be
costly - much more often than a return.

At least from the UK, it is in my experience usually (always?) cheaper
to buy a return and throw half away.
--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK
Old August 16th 08, 10:18 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Arthur Figgis wrote:
eastender wrote:

However, I do realise that even a single economy Eurostar fare can be
costly - much more often than a return.

At least from the UK, it is in my experience usually (always?) cheaper
to buy a return and throw half away.

There are some one way promotional fares starting at £44 which have been
around for some while now.

--
Phil Richards, London, UK
3,600+ railway photos since 1980 at:
Old August 17th 08, 09:40 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Thanks to all of you for your replies. I finally bought a return
ticket for the connection (as I would have to leave a full hour
earlier, which I probably can't), so I hope it will work out. For the
return journey I noticed that all suggested connections include longer
interchange times for the check-in.

Regards,
Johannes

Old August 24th 08, 04:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

The 3 times I've used it since the British high speed line was opened,
it's always
arrived exactly on time.

And anyway, if it's late and you miss an ongoing connection to
somewhere else, then
you simply need to ask the train manager to endorse your ticket and
then you can use
your onward ticket on the next available train... even if it it
theoretically restricted to
a specific one. (You'd need to get the ticket office at Gare de l'Est
to print you out a new
ticket, but they will provided the E* one his been endorsed to prove
the delay was their
fault). The only time you're stuffed is if you need to catch the
last
train of the day and you miss it... coz they won't pay out for a
hotel.

phil

On Aug 15, 11:48*am, Johannes wrote:
Sorry for my question being mostly off-topic, but maybe you can help
me anyway ...

Next week I'll be travelling from London to Paris by Eurostar. Maybe
someone on this group who uses this route frequently could give me an
impression whether the trains on this route arrive fairly on time at
Paris-Nord.

I have to catch a connection in Paris at Gare de l'Est, which is only
a short distance to walk, but I wonder if one can make it in the 45-
minute gap between arrival and departure if my train was delayed.

Thanks,
Johannes

OT (sorry) Paris Metro help Ralf Hermanns London Transport 9 April 22nd 05 05:18 PM
London v Paris Morton London Transport 80 November 7th 04 08:56 PM
Gatwick-Paris Henry London Transport 2 October 11th 04 12:57 PM
Need Paris Day Trip Advice. Laura London Transport 7 May 12th 04 06:29 AM
OT - Paris Metro... Marcus Fox London Transport 5 November 8th 03 04:07 PM