London Banter

-   -   Who names new roads? (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/7105-who-names-new-roads.html)

PhilD August 21st 08 08:23 AM

Who names new roads?

On Aug 21, 3:01*am, "John Rowland"
wrote:
Surely being unspellable is one of the critieria for a new road name.

Or equally unpronouncable. In Highworth (near Swindon), there's a
"Wrde Hill". Yes, that is the full name, no letters missing.

In Swindon we have a Deneb Drive and a Deben Crescent not that far
apart (though probably far enough not to cause confusion).

PhilD

Colin Rosenstiel August 21st 08 08:34 AM

Who names new roads?

In article ,
(John Rowland) wrote:

Colin Rosenstiel wrote:
In article ,

(Chris Read) wrote:

"Colin Rosenstiel" wrote:

Some minor official in the Borough Council. The local one in
Cambridge sometimes drives me to distraction with his perversity.

Do many roads get named (without fanfare) after serving or former
local councillors? A member of my family is convinced that is the
case, without being able to produce any evidence to support this.

Quite a few in fact.

Will there one day be a Rosenstiel Mews in Cambridge?

Logically yes because my wife was also a councillor for 26 years
until she retired in May, but no chance in practice. People won't be

able to spell or pronounce it.

Surely being unspellable is one of the critieria for a new road
name.

Who knows? It's academic at present anyway. No road has been named after
a current councillor.

Incidentally, tonight I discovered that one of the road signs in
Helvetia St SE6 says "Helvtia St". Lewisham Council doesn't know
its ares from its eblow.

You never saw the sign for "Upper Gwyder St" then?

--
Colin Rosenstiel

David Cantrell August 21st 08 10:49 AM

Who names new roads?

On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 09:57:36AM +0000, Adrian wrote:
David Cantrell gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying:
However, the airport in question has now closed, so maybe it's been dug
up and turned into a business "park" already

Not quite - it's been turned into an... airport...
http://www.sheffieldcityairport.com/

That's not what that website says.

" The transformation of the former Sheffield City Airport into a
heliport and business park was announced today. "

--
David Cantrell | Official London Perl Mongers Bad Influence

It wouldn't hurt to think like a serial killer every so often.
Purely for purposes of prevention, of course.

Adrian August 21st 08 10:50 AM

Who names new roads?

David Cantrell gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying:

However, the airport in question has now closed, so maybe it's been
dug up and turned into a business "park" already

Not quite - it's been turned into an... airport...
http://www.sheffieldcityairport.com/

That's not what that website says.

" The transformation of the former Sheffield City Airport into a
heliport and business park was announced today. "

What else is a "heliport" but an "airport"?

Paul Scott August 21st 08 10:51 AM

Who names new roads?

"Adrian" wrote in message
David Cantrell gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying:

However, the airport in question has now closed, so maybe it's been
dug up and turned into a business "park" already

Not quite - it's been turned into an... airport...
http://www.sheffieldcityairport.com/

That's not what that website says.

" The transformation of the former Sheffield City Airport into a
heliport and business park was announced today. "

What else is a "heliport" but an "airport"?

Does that mean there is an airport in Battersea?

Paul S

James Farrar August 22nd 08 08:11 AM

Who names new roads?

On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 13:06 +0100 (BST), (Colin
Rosenstiel) wrote:

In article ,
(Bill Hayles) wrote:

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 22:14 +0100 (BST),
(Colin
Rosenstiel) wrote:

"BDY" was a standard LT abbreviation for "Broadway" up to at least the
late 1960s. I remember buses to HAMMERSMITH BDY, for example.

Which, for years, I misread as "Hammersmith Boy"

I always read it as "Hammersmith Body".

I pronounced it "biddy".

James Farrar August 22nd 08 08:12 AM

Who names new roads?

On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 09:11:14 +0100, James Farrar
wrote:

On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 13:06 +0100 (BST), (Colin
Rosenstiel) wrote:

Rosenstiel) wrote:

"BDY" was a standard LT abbreviation for "Broadway" up to at least the
late 1960s. I remember buses to HAMMERSMITH BDY, for example.

Which, for years, I misread as "Hammersmith Boy"

I always read it as "Hammersmith Body".

I pronounced it "biddy".

In the context of "EALING BDY." on D stock trains, that is. I don't
recall buses to Hammersmith Bdy.

michael adams[_2_] August 22nd 08 08:14 AM

Who names new roads?

"Adrian" wrote in message
David Cantrell gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying:

However, the airport in question has now closed, so maybe it's been
dug up and turned into a business "park" already

Not quite - it's been turned into an... airport...
http://www.sheffieldcityairport.com/

That's not what that website says.

" The transformation of the former Sheffield City Airport into a
heliport and business park was announced today. "

What else is a "heliport" but an "airport"?

An airport is presumably assumed to have runways.

Whereas the flat roof of a tall building can even function as a heliport.

michael adams

Jon August 24th 08 11:59 AM

Who names new roads?

On 19 Aug, 11:56, "John Rowland"
asked - who names new roads?

All too often it is the marketing staff of building firms, leading to
road names which are intened primarily to make the houses there sound
more attractive to the least intelligent customers.
Hence the decline of the 'street' as this sufix is considered un-
trendy and the profusion of 'walks', 'crescents' and 'avenues', and
the silly tendency to towrads road names with no suffix at all, making
ordinary suburban streets sound as if they are rural hamlets too small
to have street names as such.

Jon

Roland Perry August 24th 08 04:28 PM

Who names new roads?

In message
, at
04:59:40 on Sun, 24 Aug 2008, Jon remarked:
asked - who names new roads?

All too often it is the marketing staff of building firms, leading to
road names which are intened primarily to make the houses there sound
more attractive to the least intelligent customers.

I'm not sure that's the case. The builders often give developments such
fancy names, which are then ignored by the council with much more
prosaic names.