Old August 19th 08, 10:56 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Who names new roads?

I notice that part of Gillett St N16 has been renamed to Bailey Place N16...
unfortunately, there is already a Batley Place N16, so there will be
numerous letters sent to the wrong address over the next 50 years.

Old August 19th 08, 01:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Colin Rosenstiel" wrote
John Rowland wrote:

I notice that part of Gillett St N16 has been renamed to Bailey
Place N16... unfortunately, there is already a Batley Place N16, so
there will be numerous letters sent to the wrong address over the
next 50 years.

Some minor official in the Borough Council. The local one in Cambridge
sometimes drives me to distraction with his perversity.

In principle, every decision of a Council (unless the relevant legislation
specifies otherwise) has to be taken by "the Council". For practical
reasons, almost all Councils have a Delegation Scheme, formally delegating
responsibilities to Committees, Chief Officers, and ultimately perhaps to
minor officials. If a minor official is driving an elected member to
distraction with his perversity and the member is unable to stop this
happening, then there is something wrong with the Council's Delegation
Scheme. I am surprised that the members of any Council have allowed street
naming to be delegated as far down the organisation as a minor official.
Some things, of course cannot be delegated and have by law to be determined
by "the Council" e.g. setting the Council Tax.

[I write as a former Head of Service at a District Council.]

Old August 19th 08, 04:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Aug 19, 2:00*pm, (Colin Rosenstiel) wrote:
In article ,

--
Colin Rosenstiel

At least some have a sense of humour - there's a road by Sheffield
Airport called Letsby Avenue. Appropriately enough when it was built
the only building on it was a police station.
~cj
Old August 19th 08, 07:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

John Rowland:
I notice that part of Gillett St N16 has been renamed to Bailey Place N16...
unfortunately, there is already a Batley Place N16, so there will be
numerous letters sent to the wrong address over the next 50 years.

Not if the rest of the postcode is present and is used.

Now let's talk about an Underground system that has two stations called
Edgware Road and one called Edgware, but where trains to Ealing Broadway
station are marked Ealing, and Canada Water and Canary Wharf are
consecutive stations on the same line...
--
Mark Brader | "Oh, sure, you can make anything sound sleazy if you,
Toronto | you know, tell it exactly the way it happened."

Old August 19th 08, 08:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Mark Brader wrote:
John Rowland:
I notice that part of Gillett St N16 has been renamed to Bailey
Place N16... unfortunately, there is already a Batley Place N16, so
there will be numerous letters sent to the wrong address over the
next 50 years.

Not if the rest of the postcode is present and is used.

Now let's talk about an Underground system that has two stations
called Edgware Road and one called Edgware, but where trains to
Ealing Broadway station are marked Ealing

Abbreviated destination blinds on the District such as 'Ealing', 'Putney'
and 'High Street' have not been seen since the retirement of R/CO/CP stock
in about 1983. Actually there's the exception of 'Olympia' which is still
seen on D stock (both before and after refurbishment). Also I did once see
a train of original D stock on the High Street-Olympia shuttle with the
ambiguous 'Kensington' on the blind.
--
Richard J.

Old August 19th 08, 09:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On Aug 19, 9:31*pm, "Richard J." wrote:
Mark Brader wrote:
John Rowland:
I notice that part of Gillett St N16 has been renamed to Bailey
Place N16... unfortunately, there is already a Batley Place N16, so
there will be numerous letters sent to the wrong address over the
next 50 years.

Not if the rest of the postcode is present and is used.

Now let's talk about an Underground system that has two stations
called Edgware Road and one called Edgware, but where trains to
Ealing Broadway station are marked Ealing

Abbreviated destination blinds on the District such as 'Ealing', 'Putney'
and 'High Street' have not been seen since the retirement of R/CO/CP stock
in about 1983. *Actually there's the exception of 'Olympia' which is still
seen on D stock (both before and after refurbishment). *Also I did once see
a train of original D stock on the High Street-Olympia shuttle with the
ambiguous 'Kensington' on the blind.

As I remember, 1962 stock on the Central had "EALING BDY" and R stock
on the District had "EALING BDWY".
Old August 19th 08, 10:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008, Richard J. wrote:

Mark Brader wrote:

Now let's talk about an Underground system that has two stations called
Edgware Road and one called Edgware, but where trains to Ealing
Broadway station are marked Ealing

Abbreviated destination blinds on the District such as 'Ealing',
'Putney' and 'High Street' have not been seen since the retirement of
R/CO/CP stock in about 1983. Actually there's the exception of
'Olympia' which is still seen on D stock (both before and after
refurbishment). Also I did once see a train of original D stock on the
High Street-Olympia shuttle with the ambiguous 'Kensington' on the
blind.

Oh i don't know, i think that's rather efficient. I mean, whichever way
it's going, it's correct!

tom

--
1 pWN 3v3Ry+h1n G!!!1
Old August 19th 08, 10:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008, Mark Brader wrote:

Now let's talk about an Underground system that has two stations called
Edgware Road and one called Edgware, but where trains to Ealing Broadway
station are marked Ealing, and Canada Water and Canary Wharf are
consecutive stations on the same line...

But which will get you from City Airport to Cyprus for a quid!

tom

--
1 pWN 3v3Ry+h1n G!!!1