London Banter

-   -   Who names new roads? (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/7105-who-names-new-roads.html)

Colin Rosenstiel August 26th 08 06:53 PM

Who names new roads?

In article ,
(Tom Anderson) wrote:

On Tue, 26 Aug 2008, Roland Perry wrote:

In message ,
at 11:59:31 on Tue, 26 Aug 2008, Tom Anderson
remarked:
There's a Docwra's Close next to Shepreth Station. Pronounce that!

No harder than "Gwydir".

Well, exactly.

Care to enlighten us on your preferred pronunciations?

I've no idea how to pronounce either of them!

We know the standard Cambridge pronunciation of Gwydir to be Gwyder
because of the replacement street sign made by the Council for "Upper
Gwyder Street" once.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Alasdair August 26th 08 07:20 PM

Who names new roads?

On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 16:49 +0100 (BST), (Colin
Rosenstiel) wrote:

On reflection in an idle moment earlier today on my way back from the
Parliamentary Pass Office I think it's just a standard silent "W", like
in "wright" or "wring".

--
Colin Rosenstiel

There is a village in Staffordshire called Gnosall. How is that
pronounced?

--
Alasdair.

Roland Perry August 26th 08 07:57 PM

Who names new roads?

In message , at 20:20:25 on
Tue, 26 Aug 2008, Alasdair remarked:
There is a village in Staffordshire called Gnosall. How is that
pronounced?

No sal (as in salt), apparently.

Colin Rosenstiel August 26th 08 10:44 PM

Who names new roads?

In article ,
lid (Arthur Figgis) wrote:

Roland Perry wrote:
In message . uk,
at 09:30:00 on Tue, 26 Aug 2008, Colin Rosenstiel
remarked:
There's a Docwra's Close next to Shepreth Station. Pronounce that!

No harder than "Gwydir".

I can have a stab at "Gwydir" (perhaps to rhyme with "why-dear",
or is it "wider"),

Assuming this is the one in Cambridge, something like "G'why-der"
is about what I knew it as, rhyming with wider, but I didn't know
many natives to know how they might say it - the chap I know who
lives in said street is from Herefordshire. Whitefriargate in Hull
is locally called Whitefrargate, with a missing middle "i", but
there is no way of knowing that.

Correct. But we have induction for outsiders round here. They have to
learn to pronounce Quy and Manea too.

It's Cambridge, there must be a website. Aha:
http://www.colc.co.uk/cambridge/gwydir/name.htm

"Gwydir Castle is the ancestral home of the powerful Wynn family,
descended from the kings of Gwynedd and one of the most significant
families of North Wales during the Tudor and Stuart periods. ...
The Welsh "Gwydir" is pronounced differently from Cambridge, with
the syllables rhyming with "squid" and "beer". Our "Gwydir" in
Cambridge rhymes with "rider".

Bear in mind that much of that web site is maintained by a friend of mine
who lives in Gwydir St.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Arthur Figgis August 27th 08 06:58 AM

Who names new roads?

Colin Rosenstiel wrote:
In article ,
lid (Arthur Figgis) wrote:

Roland Perry wrote:
In message . uk,
at 09:30:00 on Tue, 26 Aug 2008, Colin Rosenstiel
remarked:
There's a Docwra's Close next to Shepreth Station. Pronounce that!
No harder than "Gwydir".
I can have a stab at "Gwydir" (perhaps to rhyme with "why-dear",
or is it "wider"),

Assuming this is the one in Cambridge, something like "G'why-der"
is about what I knew it as, rhyming with wider, but I didn't know
many natives to know how they might say it - the chap I know who
lives in said street is from Herefordshire. Whitefriargate in Hull
is locally called Whitefrargate, with a missing middle "i", but
there is no way of knowing that.

Correct. But we have induction for outsiders round here. They have to
learn to pronounce Quy and Manea too.

K-eye, like why? And like Brainy? Plus "keys" college, of course.

I've heard claims that stiff-key is becoming accepted in Norfolk.

Then there is Marylebone....

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK

Colin Rosenstiel August 27th 08 12:57 PM

Who names new roads?

In article ,
lid (Arthur Figgis) wrote:

Colin Rosenstiel wrote:
In article ,
lid (Arthur Figgis) wrote:

Roland Perry wrote:
[...]

No. Like (the Bridge over the River) Kwai. Manea is the same ending as
Whittlesey, formerly Whittlesea, and still spelt thus in the station
name.

I've heard claims that stiff-key is becoming accepted in Norfolk.

They'll be calling it Happisburgh next!

Then there is Marylebone....

Seems straightforward to me.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Roland Perry August 27th 08 01:13 PM

Who names new roads?

In message . uk, at
13:57:00 on Wed, 27 Aug 2008, Colin Rosenstiel
remarked:
Then there is Marylebone....

Seems straightforward to me.

Silent "y". Marr-lee-bone.

Colin Rosenstiel August 27th 08 02:16 PM

Who names new roads?

In article , (Roland
Perry) wrote:

In message . uk,
at 13:57:00 on Wed, 27 Aug 2008, Colin Rosenstiel
remarked:
Then there is Marylebone....

Seems straightforward to me.

Silent "y". Marr-lee-bone.

I've heard it pronounced in London with a vestigial "y" (or more like "i",
I suppose) too.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

James Farrar August 27th 08 05:26 PM

Who names new roads?

On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 14:13:58 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:

In message . uk, at
13:57:00 on Wed, 27 Aug 2008, Colin Rosenstiel
remarked:
Then there is Marylebone....

Seems straightforward to me.

Silent "y". Marr-lee-bone.

If silent "y", then silent "l" too. It's either "Marribun" or
"Marrylebun" with a short "a" sound and the "i" almost unpronounced.

Alasdair August 27th 08 07:45 PM

Who names new roads?

On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 07:58:02 +0100, Arthur Figgis
wrote:

I've heard claims that stiff-key is becoming accepted in Norfolk.

Did it not once have a famous vicar?

--
Alasdair.