Old August 20th 08, 07:42 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Tube strike conspiracy theory

Tim Parker sacked, RMT accepts almost the same offer it rejected
before. Coincidence, I'm sure...

http://www.johnband.org/blog/2008/08...piracy-theory/

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org

Old August 20th 08, 08:08 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On Aug 20, 8:42*am, John B wrote:
Tim Parker sacked, RMT accepts almost the same offer it rejected
before. Coincidence, I'm sure...

http://www.johnband.org/blog/2008/08...piracy-theory/

So Tim Parker was there doing his job for TfL, and then the RMT hired
Bob Crow to bash TfL?
Old August 20th 08, 08:19 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Aug 20, 9:08 am, MIG wrote:
Tim Parker sacked, RMT accepts almost the same offer it rejected
before. Coincidence, I'm sure...

http://www.johnband.org/blog/2008/08...piracy-theory/

So Tim Parker was there doing his job for TfL, and then the RMT hired
Bob Crow to bash TfL?

Eh? I'm suggesting that the RMT might have agreed to call off the Tube
Lines strike despite no significant improvement in pay offer, on the
condition that Boris sacked Parker from TfL.

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org
Old August 20th 08, 08:32 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On Aug 20, 9:19*am, John B wrote:
On Aug 20, 9:08 am, MIG wrote:

Tim Parker sacked, RMT accepts almost the same offer it rejected
before. Coincidence, I'm sure...

http://www.johnband.org/blog/2008/08...piracy-theory/

So Tim Parker was there doing his job for TfL, and then the RMT hired
Bob Crow to bash TfL?

Eh? I'm suggesting that the RMT might have agreed to call off the Tube
Lines strike despite no significant improvement in pay offer, on the
condition that Boris sacked Parker from TfL.

I understood that, but the implication was that the initiative was
from the RMT, rather than Tim Parker being hired in a blaze of
publicity to bash the unions.

Maybe it was a slightly more complicated discussion on the lines of
BC: "This idea of publicly intending to bash us is making us nervous
and to mistrust every deal. This isn't helping London is it?" BJ:
"Good point; I'd like to reconsider my dismissive attitude and talk to
you directly instead of via my hit man."
Old August 20th 08, 09:58 AM posted to uk.transport.london

MIG wrote:

Maybe it was a slightly more complicated discussion on the lines of
BC: "This idea of publicly intending to bash us is making us nervous
and to mistrust every deal. This isn't helping London is it?" BJ:
"Good point; I'd like to reconsider my dismissive attitude and talk to
you directly instead of via my hit man."

The more prosaic explanation of Parker's departure is that he really
wanted to make radical cuts in GLA and TfL expenditure. This would have
horrified the elected politicians Milton and Johnson, who are quite
happy to have public expenditure as long as it goes into Tory areas,
preferably accompanied by a freeze or cut in the Mayor's precept (which
doesn't fund TfL). They could foresee the headlines in the suburban
freesheets - 'Boris Slashes X, Y and Z Shock Horror'. That explains the
whole 'TfL Chair Needs To Be Democratically Accountable'. Parker would
never have carried the can for the cuts, the public would look to blame
the high-profile elected figure of Boris.

Boris is quite right for once - TfL does need to be democratically
accountable at the top. It's a shame he's taken four months to realise
what Livingstone knew in 2000, that's all.

Tom

Old August 20th 08, 12:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(Tom Barry) wrote:

MIG wrote:

[...]

Milton may have been elected in Westminster but he's not elected now at
the GLA, surely?

--
Colin Rosenstiel