Old October 17th 08, 10:31 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default 18-25 Railcard flag on Oyster

Hi

Since I've started prepaying again, I thought it would be worthwhile
to get the Railcard 'flag' set up on my Oyster. Went to Canada Water
ticket-office last night to do it, and was greeted by a staff member
who didn't seem to know what I was talking about. He told me I needed
to fill out the form to register my Oyster card. When I responded that
it was already registered, he responded that I still had to register.
I left at that point, as I didn't really have time to fill in the form
and start at the back of the queue again, especially since he really
gave the impression that he didn't know what I meant at all.

Is there anyone on this group who has gone through the procedure, and
can tell me what exactly I should need to do to set up the flag.

Thanks
Sam

Old October 17th 08, 11:20 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Oct 17, 11:31 am, SamB wrote:
Is there anyone on this group who has gone through the procedure, and
can tell me what exactly I should need to do to set up the flag.

Sounds like you need to find a slightly better trained chimp. Though
given Oyster PAYG is designed to extract as much money out of
passengers as is possible when you do find this wonder chimp you'll
probably have to pay for the privilege of having the flag set.

B2003

Old October 17th 08, 11:51 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 17 Oct, 11:31, SamB wrote:
Is there anyone on this group who has gone through the procedure, and
can tell me what exactly I should need to do to set up the flag.

You should just have to hand over your Oyster Card and your Railcard
and ask them to add it, with no forms or fees or anything, assuming a
staff member that knows what they're doing.

Grab a copy of the fares leaflet and be ready to point at the
appropriate page in case they don't.

Old October 17th 08, 10:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Is there anyone on this group who has gone through the procedure, and
can tell me what exactly I should need to do to set up the flag.

I had my railcard added to my student oyster last year [I'm not in
London at the moment so haven't bothered this time]. The man in the
North Greenwich ticket office took my oyster and railcard, spent a few
minutes typing away at his machine, then it was done. Try a station
with a bigger ticket office, increase the chance of getting a man who
knows his job.

Chris
Old October 17th 08, 11:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

SamB wrote:

Is there anyone on this group who has gone through the procedure, and
can tell me what exactly I should need to do to set up the flag.

As I understand it:

Your Oyster card has to be *fully* registered (i.e. form completed and
sent off, and details recorded on the card itself) to apply the Discount.

Your Railcard number is entered in the "Photocard" field.

The Ticket Office bod chooses the appropriate Railcard type from the
list of Discounts.

The Discount expiry date is set to the same as your Railcard.

The updated information is then written back to the Oyster card.

Cheers,

Barry

Old October 18th 08, 10:11 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 18 Oct 2008 00:46:03 +0100, Barry Salter
wrote:

SamB wrote:

Is there anyone on this group who has gone through the procedure, and
can tell me what exactly I should need to do to set up the flag.

As I understand it:

Your Oyster card has to be *fully* registered (i.e. form completed and
sent off, and details recorded on the card itself) to apply the Discount.

Your Railcard number is entered in the "Photocard" field.

The Ticket Office bod chooses the appropriate Railcard type from the
list of Discounts.

The Discount expiry date is set to the same as your Railcard.

The updated information is then written back to the Oyster card.

When you renew your Railcard do you then have to have the discount set
up on your Oyster card again?
--
Stuart Johnson in Peterhead, Scotland
To reply direct remove FILTER from

Old October 18th 08, 10:51 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Stuart Johnson wrote:

When you renew your Railcard do you then have to have the discount set
up on your Oyster card again?

Yup. As TfL have no way of knowing whether you've renewed your Railcard
or not.

I'm not sure, but I *think* NR stations that sell Oyster (such as London
Marylebone) *MAY* be able to register the discount as well, as I believe
the option to do so is there on FasTIS+.

Cheers,

Barry
Old October 20th 08, 08:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Oct 18, 12:46*am, Barry Salter wrote:
SamB wrote:
Is there anyone on this group who has gone through the procedure, and
can tell me what exactly I should need to do to set up the flag.

As I understand it:

Your Oyster card has to be *fully* registered (i.e. form completed and
sent off, and details recorded on the card itself) to apply the Discount.

Your Railcard number is entered in the "Photocard" field.

The Ticket Office bod chooses the appropriate Railcard type from the
list of Discounts.

The Discount expiry date is set to the same as your Railcard.

The updated information is then written back to the Oyster card.

Cheers,

Barry

Ok, went and did it today, this time at Canary Wharf. The woman behind
the counter looked a little clueless at first, and gave me the same
form the man at Canada Water had done, but since I had time to kill, I
persevered and filled it out. She then took it from me, and input all
my details into the computer, including my name, address, my password,
etc., as well as the railcard type, number, expiry (I could see the
screen as she was doing it). She seemed to be successful, so I guess
I'll find out when I go as high as the cap on Wednesday.

After that success I did spend 45 minutes waiting for the ELC at
Canada Water, but I guess you can't have everything!

Thanks for all the helpful comments