Old January 19th 07, 09:15 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Oyster Prepay and YP railcard

Is it possible to set up a YP railcard on Oyster prepay, so that if I use it
the maximum I would pay off peak would be 50p cheaper than the cheapest
travel card ie £4.30.

I can buy a paper ticket zone 1-D off peak for £4.80

Old January 19th 07, 12:33 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
TKD TKD is offline

Is it possible to set up a YP railcard on Oyster prepay, so that if I use
it the maximum I would pay off peak would be 50p cheaper than the cheapest
travel card ie £4.30.

I can buy a paper ticket zone 1-D off peak for £4.80

No. If you are studying at a London University you can get an 'Student
Oyster Photocard' that gives you 30% off weekly and longer tickets. It can
also hold PAYG balance, but there is no discount.

Old January 19th 07, 02:22 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

tkd wrote:

Is it possible to set up a YP railcard on Oyster prepay, so that if I use
it the maximum I would pay off peak would be 50p cheaper than the cheapest
travel card ie £4.30.

I can buy a paper ticket zone 1-D off peak for £4.80

No. If you are studying at a London University you can get an 'Student
Oyster Photocard' that gives you 30% off weekly and longer tickets. It can
also hold PAYG balance, but there is no discount.

Will this need to be addressed now that the mayor wants all the TOCs in
London to accept Oyster PAYG?

Old January 19th 07, 07:33 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Neal wrote:

tkd wrote:

Is it possible to set up a YP railcard on Oyster prepay, so that if I use
it the maximum I would pay off peak would be 50p cheaper than the cheapest
travel card ie £4.30.

I can buy a paper ticket zone 1-D off peak for £4.80

No. If you are studying at a London University you can get an 'Student
Oyster Photocard' that gives you 30% off weekly and longer tickets. It can
also hold PAYG balance, but there is no discount.

Will this need to be addressed now that the mayor wants all the TOCs in
London to accept Oyster PAYG?

I'd say it's _incredibly_ unlikely that railcard discounts will feature
as part of the Oyster PAYG system, end of story.

Oyster PAYG fares are already cheaper than their equivalent cash/paper
ticket fares, and it seems highly likely that the Oyster PAYG fare
table used on LU will be adopted without any changes on National Rail
once TOCs start accepting it (at least for journeys within the six
London zones - both Chiltern and c2c are looking to utilise Oyster PAYG
for at least part of their routes outside the zones, but how such
journeys will be priced is unclear at present).

Old January 19th 07, 07:59 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Mizter T" wrote in message
ups.com...
Neal wrote:

tkd wrote:

[...]

But how hard is it? At the end of the day its all software.

1) The start and end dates of the railcard are programed into the card
2) If the eqivalent of a day travel card is used then apply the discount.

Not very difficult for an IT graduate is it.

Old January 19th 07, 08:20 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Mizter T wrote:

Oyster PAYG fares are already cheaper than their equivalent cash/paper
ticket fares, and it seems highly likely that the Oyster PAYG fare
table used on LU will be adopted without any changes on National Rail
once TOCs start accepting it (at least for journeys within the six
London zones - both Chiltern and c2c are looking to utilise Oyster PAYG
for at least part of their routes outside the zones, but how such
journeys will be priced is unclear at present).

Do you expect that all national rail services will eventually use
similar fares to current PAYG fares? This would be amazing if it
happened! Since I have a zone 1-2 travelcard, the great advantage of
PAYG for me is that any journey not including zone 1 costs just £1.80,
or £1 at weekends. In comparison the new zonal fares for national
rail go up to £3.10 for a Z2-Z6 journey.

Old January 19th 07, 08:36 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
TKD TKD is offline

Is it possible to set up a YP railcard on Oyster prepay, so that if I
use
it the maximum I would pay off peak would be 50p cheaper than the
cheapest
travel card ie £4.30.

I can buy a paper ticket zone 1-D off peak for £4.80

No. If you are studying at a London University you can get an 'Student
Oyster Photocard' that gives you 30% off weekly and longer tickets. It
can
also hold PAYG balance, but there is no discount.

Will this need to be addressed now that the mayor wants all the TOCs in
London to accept Oyster PAYG?

I doubt it. Oyster off peak fares are £1 for journeys outside zone 1. I
wouldn't expect those to be further discounted.

Old January 19th 07, 09:44 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

DERWENT Oyster Prepay and YP railcard
Fri, 19 Jan 2007 21:36:03 -0000, "tkd"

Is it possible to set up a YP railcard on Oyster prepay, so that if I
use
it the maximum I would pay off peak would be 50p cheaper than the
cheapest
travel card ie £4.30.

I can buy a paper ticket zone 1-D off peak for £4.80

No. If you are studying at a London University you can get an 'Student
Oyster Photocard' that gives you 30% off weekly and longer tickets. It
can
also hold PAYG balance, but there is no discount.

Will this need to be addressed now that the mayor wants all the TOCs in
London to accept Oyster PAYG?

I doubt it. Oyster off peak fares are £1 for journeys outside zone 1. I
wouldn't expect those to be further discounted.

I don't wan't a discount on my fare I just want the cap to cut in at a
£4.80 travelcard not a £6.70 one.

PRAR
--
http://www.i.am/prar/ and http://prar.fotopic.net/
As long as people will accept crap, it will be financially profitable to dispense it. --Dick Cavett
Old January 19th 07, 10:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 19 Jan 2007 12:33:26 -0800, "Mizter T" wrote:

Neal wrote:

tkd wrote:

Is it possible to set up a YP railcard on Oyster prepay, so that if I use
it the maximum I would pay off peak would be 50p cheaper than the cheapest
travel card ie £4.30.

I can buy a paper ticket zone 1-D off peak for £4.80

No. If you are studying at a London University you can get an 'Student
Oyster Photocard' that gives you 30% off weekly and longer tickets. It can
also hold PAYG balance, but there is no discount.

Will this need to be addressed now that the mayor wants all the TOCs in
London to accept Oyster PAYG?

I'd say it's _incredibly_ unlikely that railcard discounts will feature
as part of the Oyster PAYG system, end of story.

I think I agree with that bit.

Oyster PAYG fares are already cheaper than their equivalent cash/paper
ticket fares, and it seems highly likely that the Oyster PAYG fare
table used on LU will be adopted without any changes on National Rail
once TOCs start accepting it (at least for journeys within the six
London zones - both Chiltern and c2c are looking to utilise Oyster PAYG
for at least part of their routes outside the zones, but how such
journeys will be priced is unclear at present).

Why is it highly likely? Even on a zonal basis we have 4 fare scales in
use - LU cash, LU PAYG, NR zonal cash, tube-train zonal cash. Do we
really want NR zonal PAYG and tube-train zonal PAYG being different
again? Maybe not but I suspect they will be the same as the cash fare or
else only offer a very small discount.

I'm struggling to see how the TOCs could afford to finance the adoption
of the LU PAYG scale given the deep discounting off peak. They've
already had to swallow the introduction of NR zonal that I doubt they
like very much and as it becomes apparent as to how passengers adjust to
it they may become more or less enthusiastic about what is happening to
their bottom lines over the next few months.

My own view is that it is very unclear at this stage as to what cash and
Oyster fares will look like on the NR network and for through journeys.
Whatever happens with the Overground concession may start to give us
some clues.
--
Paul C

Old January 20th 07, 09:57 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Fri, 19 Jan 2007 22:44:04 +0000, PRAR wrote:

I don't wan't a discount on my fare I just want the cap to cut in at a
£4.80 travelcard not a £6.70 one.

PRAR

I agree. Using paper at the moment, I get all six zones for £4.80.
Using Oyster capping gives me only four zones for £5.20. What
incentive is there for me to switch to Oyster?

(Network Card discount at weekends from a Zone 4 station.)

Regards,

Clive
--
Clive R Robertson -- AS/400 Programmer.

Webmaster of http://www.osterleypark.org.uk/ -- this describes
a beautiful National Trust property in West London.