Old October 19th 08, 10:04 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Visible signs of Thameslink 2000

Like many on these groups, I try not to believe any transport project
is actually happening "until they start digging". So, having been
away for a week or so, I was gratified to notice several signs that
"Thameslink 2000" (or whatever they're calling it these days) might
actually happen. They've started piling at the southern end of
Blackfriars railway bridge (by the old bridge supports) - presumably
for the second river crossing - and there are hoardings at Farringdon
by the north end footbridge, though no signs of actual construction
yet. I also noticed a stripy eye-catching "Thameslink Project"
information stand at Moorgate - currently empty, but presumably will
soon hold "You're not getting any Thameslink trains any more"
leaflets...

Old October 19th 08, 01:26 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Rupert Candy wrote:

They've started piling at the southern end of Blackfriars railway bridge (by the old bridge supports) - presumably
for the second river crossing

Not exactly. It's being used for structural inspections between June 23
and December: http://www.pla.co.uk/notice2mariners...lag/2/id/3053/

On the subject of Blackfriars, I believe the building on the SE corner
of New Bridge and Queen Victoria Streets will be demolished from next month.

and there are hoardings at Farringdon by the north end footbridge, though no signs of actual construction
yet.

Judging by how long it's taken for the hoardings to go up, it'll be
interesting to see if the new bridge will be ready in time. Network Rail
seem confident though.

I also noticed a stripy eye-catching "Thameslink Project" information stand at Moorgate - currently empty, but presumably will
soon hold "You're not getting any Thameslink trains any more" leaflets...

Close enough. If thameslinkprogramme.co.uk is anything to go by, it'll
be more like 'Take a deep breath. We can't stop at Barbican and Moorgate
any more'

You can also add the Herne Hill siding and Luton Airport Parkway/Mill
Hill Broadway platform extensions to your list...
Old October 19th 08, 02:58 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , at 14:26:34 on Sun, 19
Oct 2008, Sky Rider remarked:
You can also add the Herne Hill siding and Luton Airport Parkway/Mill
Hill Broadway platform extensions to your list...

The L_A_P platform looked pretty much finished when I trundled through
last week. More than you can say for EM Parkway.
Old October 19th 08, 03:35 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

I'll also add the comment it ain't called Thameslink 2000 any
more .... it is Thameslink Project.

--
Nick
Old October 19th 08, 04:24 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In uk.railway Sky Rider wrote:
You can also add the Herne Hill siding and Luton Airport Parkway/Mill
Hill Broadway platform extensions to your list...

And the concrete trough between Gasworks and Copenhagen tunnels built as
part of the CTRL works to connect the ECML to SPILL.

And clearance for the new stabling sidings at Cambridge (not sure if that's
Thameslink or just somewhere to put the '1300' carriages).

Theo

Old October 19th 08, 04:27 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

D7666 wrote:
I'll also add the comment it ain't called Thameslink 2000 any
more .... it is Thameslink Project.

--
Nick

Thameslink Programme, actually!

/pedant

Cheers

Steve M
Old October 19th 08, 05:20 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:

The L_A_P platform looked pretty much finished when I trundled through
last week. More than you can say for EM Parkway.

The TLP inauguration was marked by a ceremony at LTN, so it's offically
taken just shy of a year to build them (only minor works outstanding
now). Then again, the % of that year actually involving work (minute for
minute) is rather small, and in all likelihood only red tape would
prevent the extensions from coming into use anytime before the Winter
08/09 service, seeing as it should take nowhere near as long as 8 weeks
to complete the outstanding tasks.

Old October 19th 08, 08:44 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message
, at
08:35:20 on Sun, 19 Oct 2008, D7666 remarked:
I'll also add the comment it ain't called Thameslink 2000 any
more .... it is Thameslink Project.

Thameslink 2012 seems like the best name for it.
Old October 19th 08, 09:16 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message
, at
08:35:20 on Sun, 19 Oct 2008, D7666 remarked:
I'll also add the comment it ain't called Thameslink 2000 any
more .... it is Thameslink Project.

Thameslink 2012 seems like the best name for it.

A good chunk of the work in the central core will be done by then, allowing
for 16 tph 12 car services, but most of the platform work at London Bridge,
and all of the approach trackwork east of there, eg Bermondsey and Tanner's
Hill, isn't planned to start until the end of 2012, with completion by
2015...

Thameslink '2/3' in 2012 then, aka KO1...

Paul