Old September 16th 03, 01:36 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Train Stock Question

Greetings Group,

Does someone, somewhere, have a list of what stock is used on which lines?
District line seemed to have the oldest stock on my last visit, with the
Jubilee line having the newest (or at least, shiniest (!)) stock.

Thanks in advance,
Dave
---
(remove spamblock or reply to group)

Old September 16th 03, 06:28 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"David Baxter" wrote in message
Greetings Group,

Does someone, somewhere, have a list of what stock is used on which lines?
District line seemed to have the oldest stock on my last visit, with the
Jubilee line having the newest (or at least, shiniest (!)) stock.

See:

http://www.trainweb.org/tubeprune/tr...ephone%20Wires

for a description on what the window height, copper wires are for. (You may
have to copy and paste the link if it breaks into two lines)

R M S

Old September 16th 03, 08:49 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"David Baxter" wrote the
following in:

Greetings Group,

Does someone, somewhere, have a list of what stock is used on
which lines? District line seemed to have the oldest stock on my
last visit, with the Jubilee line having the newest (or at least,
shiniest (!)) stock.

I'm not the most knowledgeable about this so don't rely on what I say
too much. I believe that sub surface line stock is referred to with a
letter and deep line stock is referred to with the date it was intedned
to be delivered or made, or put into service: it's one of the three,
I'm not sure which.

Sub surface lines:
The oldest stock is the Metropolitan (and East London) line A stock.
It's from the early 60s (1960 and 1962 I think) but it was refurbished
a few years ago so it seems more modern. The Circle, H&C and parts of
the District line use C stock, some of which is from the late 60s and
some of which is from the 70s (1976 I think) although it was all
refurbished in the early 90s. The District line uses D Stock which is
from the late 70s/early 80s. It's the only unrefurbished stock on the
Underground so in many ways it seems like the oldest, even though it's
actually the newest sub surface stock (which is why it hasn't been
refurbished yet).

Deep lines:
The oldest is the 1967 stock on the Victoria line, this also uses
automatic train operation (and has since the start of the line). The
1972 stock used on the Bakerloo line without automatic train operation
has a similar design (at least as far as how it looks) but with
different colours used inside the trains. Both the 1967 and 1972 stocks
were refurbished in the early 90s. The Piccadilly line uses 1973 stock,
and that was refurbished quite recently too. The Central line uses 1992
stock which hasn't been refurbished because it's still quite new,
although apparently it's also quite reliable. The Jubilee line uses
1996 stock although apparently it's actually an older design than the
1995 stock used on the Northern line. The 1995 and 1996 stock look
quite similar with a few differences such as some extra seating on the
95 stock and some different colours.

--
message by Robin May, consumer of liquids
If bathroom means toilet in America, I'll have a shower please.

Hacker is to computer as boy racer is to Ford Escort.
Old September 16th 03, 06:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

See:

http://www.trainweb.org/tubeprune/tr...ephone%20Wires

for a description on what the window height, copper wires are for. (You

may
have to copy and paste the link if it breaks into two lines)

R M S

Whoops - outlook playing up - should of course had been an answer to the
"Copper Wires" Thread - however, Tubeprune has a list of stocks used at

http://www.trainweb.org/tubeprune/Rolling%20Stock.htm

R M S

Old September 16th 03, 08:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

r.shemilt wrote:

Whoops - outlook playing up

Unlikely, since you're using Outlook Express, a quite different product.
--
Richard J.

Old September 17th 03, 09:49 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Richard
J. wrote:
r.shemilt wrote:

Whoops - outlook playing up

Unlikely, since you're using Outlook Express, a quite different
product.

Outlook invokes OE when you select the 'News' option. It could,
therefore, be regarded as a component part of Outlook by someone who
hasn't specifically installed OE

Old October 1st 03, 08:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(Robin May) wrote:

"David Baxter" wrote the
following in:

Greetings Group,

Does someone, somewhere, have a list of what stock is used on
which lines? District line seemed to have the oldest stock on my
last visit, with the Jubilee line having the newest (or at least,
shiniest (!)) stock.

I'm not the most knowledgeable about this so don't rely on what I say
too much. I believe that sub surface line stock is referred to with a
letter and deep line stock is referred to with the date it was intedned
to be delivered or made, or put into service: it's one of the three,
I'm not sure which.

Sub surface lines:
The oldest stock is the Metropolitan (and East London) line A stock.
It's from the early 60s (1960 and 1962 I think) but it was refurbished

1960 and 1962 indeed.

a few years ago so it seems more modern. The Circle, H&C and parts of
the District line use C stock, some of which is from the late 60s and
some of which is from the 70s (1976 I think) although it was all

1969 (mostly) and 1977. The Stock runs on the Circle, H&C and the
Wimbledon-Edgware Road section of the District.

refurbished in the early 90s. The District line uses D Stock which is
from the late 70s/early 80s. It's the only unrefurbished stock on the
Underground so in many ways it seems like the oldest, even though it's
actually the newest sub surface stock (which is why it hasn't been
refurbished yet).

D stock was once referred to as D78 stock to indicate its intended year of
introduction but it was 1980 before it entered service. One unit has been
partly refurbished.

Deep lines:
The oldest is the 1967 stock on the Victoria line, this also uses
automatic train operation (and has since the start of the line). The
1972 stock used on the Bakerloo line without automatic train operation
has a similar design (at least as far as how it looks) but with
different colours used inside the trains. Both the 1967 and 1972 stocks
were refurbished in the early 90s.

The Victoria Line also has some 1972 (Mark I) stock which originally ran
on the Northern line. It was used to increase the number of 1967 stock
units by splitting one in two and adding 1971 stock cars to make two units
with only one Victoria Line equipped cab each. You can tell from the door
treadover plates which are dated 1972.

The Piccadilly line uses 1973 stock,
and that was refurbished quite recently too. The Central line uses 1992
stock which hasn't been refurbished because it's still quite new,
although apparently it's also quite reliable.

Are you being sarcastic? The Waterloo and City also uses 1992 stock, BTW.

The Jubilee line uses
1996 stock although apparently it's actually an older design than the
1995 stock used on the Northern line. The 1995 and 1996 stock look
quite similar with a few differences such as some extra seating on the
95 stock and some different colours.

The 1995 stock has tip-up seats where 1996 stock has perches to lean on,
if you're the right height (I'm too tall).

--
Colin Rosenstiel