Old November 1st 08, 05:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Liverpool street bay platform

Many years ago when passing through Liverpool Street on the circle I
noticed that there was a bay platform which was out of use. At the
time there was major works going on so I assumed that it would be
reinstated when the works were completed.

Passing through the other day it was still behind hoardings and out of
use. Is their any plan to bring it back into use. I would have
though it would have been useful in times of disruption / engineering
works to turn trains back.

Does anyone know if there any plans to bring it back into use ?

Old November 1st 08, 06:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message
Many years ago when passing through Liverpool Street on the circle I
noticed that there was a bay platform which was out of use. At the
time there was major works going on so I assumed that it would be
reinstated when the works were completed.

Passing through the other day it was still behind hoardings and out of
use. Is their any plan to bring it back into use. I would have
though it would have been useful in times of disruption / engineering
works to turn trains back.

Does anyone know if there any plans to bring it back into use ?

Not as far as I know. There are already two bay platforms at Moorgate so
I don't see any real need for another platform at Liverpool Street.

Peter Smyth

Old November 1st 08, 06:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Nov 1, 5:40*pm, wrote:
Many years ago when passing through Liverpool Street on the circle I
noticed that there was a bay platform which was out of use. At the
time there was major works going on so I assumed that it would be
reinstated when the works were completed.

Passing through the other day it was still behind hoardings and out of
use. *Is their any plan to bring it back into use. *I would have
though it would have been useful in times of disruption / engineering
works to turn trains back.

Does anyone know if there any plans to bring it back into use ?

No plans to bring it back.

Its nowhere near long enough for the current and future trains either.
Old November 1st 08, 07:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On Nov 1, 6:48*pm, chunky munky wrote:
On Nov 1, 5:40*pm, wrote:

Many years ago when passing through Liverpool Street on the circle I
noticed that there was a bay platform which was out of use. At the
time there was major works going on so I assumed that it would be
reinstated when the works were completed.

Passing through the other day it was still behind hoardings and out of
use. *Is their any plan to bring it back into use. *I would have
though it would have been useful in times of disruption / engineering
works to turn trains back.

Does anyone know if there any plans to bring it back into use ?

No plans to bring it back.

Its nowhere near long enough for the current and future trains either.

It was used by eight-coach A Stock trains (generally to Amersham in
the peaks).

I thought it was pretty permanently used as offices now, but I haven't
looked recently.
Old November 1st 08, 09:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

chunky munky wrote:
On Nov 1, 5:40 pm, wrote:
Many years ago when passing through Liverpool Street on the circle I
noticed that there was a bay platform which was out of use. At the
time there was major works going on so I assumed that it would be
reinstated when the works were completed.

Passing through the other day it was still behind hoardings and out
of use. Is their any plan to bring it back into use. I would have
though it would have been useful in times of disruption / engineering
works to turn trains back.

Does anyone know if there any plans to bring it back into use ?

No plans to bring it back.

Its nowhere near long enough for the current and future trains either.

Normal length A-Stock definitely used it when it was open. I often
jumped off a Circle on to the Met at Liverpool Street if there was a
train waiting in the bay... if there wasn't, Moorgate did the same job.

Old November 2nd 08, 11:04 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 1 Nov 2008 11:48:47 -0700 (PDT), chunky munky
wrote:

Does anyone know if there any plans to bring it back into use ?

No plans to bring it back.

Its nowhere near long enough for the current and future trains either.

Is it not? When in use, it took an 8 car "A" stock without problem.

--
Bill Hayles

http://billnot.com
Old November 2nd 08, 11:08 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Bill Hayles wrote:

Its nowhere near long enough for the current and future trains either.

Is it not? When in use, it took an 8 car "A" stock without problem.

Did it run along what is now platform or behind it?

Old November 2nd 08, 11:24 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 1 Nov 2008 21:15:21 -0000, "Stephen O'Connell"
wrote:

Normal length A-Stock definitely used it when it was open. I often
jumped off a Circle on to the Met at Liverpool Street if there was a
train waiting in the bay... if there wasn't, Moorgate did the same job.

A few years ago when I was commuting to Uxbridge I used to catch the
first Northbound met of the day from the City, which started from the
LS bay at about 7.40. Well, usually. About once a week it only got as
far south as the Moorgate bays, but announcements were usually made in
good time.

I don't use the Met very often these days. Tell me - do you still get
the spectacular fireworks display when an eastbound A stock has its
fourth-rail shoe almost-but-not-quite touching the conductor rail ramp
by the crossover at the western end of Liverpool Street?
Old November 2nd 08, 02:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

Does anyone know if there any plans to bring it back into use ?

No plans to bring it back.

Its nowhere near long enough for the current and future trains either.

Is it not? When in use, it took an 8 car "A" stock without problem.

--
Bill Hayles

http://billnot.com

This was taken out of use whilst I was in the LUL Signalling drawing office.

I think there were several reasons why it was taken oos - one practical one
was that the points were very "heavy" and difficult to set (and be kept set)
correctly causing regular rush hour failures. There were numerous attemmpts
to correct them and they never seemed to succeed! IIRC most of the fast
Amershams were booked to turn there in the evening peak and there were
regular problems getting from Harrow to Rickmansworth (the BR diesel service
was non-stop Ricky and most BR drivers seemed to refuse an LUL stop order!).
Another was far more controversial - at that time the area was controlled by
a signal cabin (before the computer control from Baker Street) and the
signalmen were having an industrial dispute about being regraded to
regulators (a higher & better paid job). If the remote control of LS was
removed they would remain as signalmen! We understood this was internal
politics within the Operating Department of the time!

IIRC the bay was due to be taken oos to allow space for building works
elsewhere on the station and was never reinstated. Ppermanent buildings were
placed on the trackbed which results in it not being long enough to accept
any current train length.

Peter
--
Peter & Elizabeth Corser
Leighton Buzzard, UK

Old November 2nd 08, 03:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london
No Name

"Peter Corser" wrote in message

[...]

When exactly was this track taken out of service?

What also is going on with the signal box at Liverpool Street? When were all
of its operations moved to Baker Street and what are its prospects? Can it
be brought back into service in emergency situations?