Old November 14th 08, 09:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default London Gatwick Airport Taxi Services [OT]

London Gatwick Airport Taxi Services

The book on a taxi trip to the airport from Gatwick to Heathrow from Stansted; from Luton to Gatwick. Transfers cheap shuttle/bus to London Airports. Online booking available. Book a trip air-conditioned car service in London with a qualified guide city of London Gatwick, or just check the online arrivals with travel and family visits to London and tourist attractions, hotels in London.
London Gatwick Airport Taxi Services provide comprehensive solution and ultimate transport to Heathrow.

Old November 15th 08, 08:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Vec Est. 2003
writes

London Gatwick Airport Taxi Services

The book on a taxi trip to the airport from Gatwick to Heathrow from
Stansted; from Luton*to Gatwick. Transfers cheap shuttle/bus to London
Airports. Online booking available. Book a trip air-conditioned*car service*
in London with a qualified guide city of London Gatwick, or just check the
online*arrivals* with travel and family visits to London and tourist
attractions, hotels *in London.
London Gatwick Airport Taxi Services provide comprehensive solution and
ultimate transport to Heathrow.

There are several indicators that this is not all they would have you
believe.

First of all this appears to be a Private Hire (minicab) service and not
taxis. The way that they present themselves is also illegal as they are
not allowed to suggest that they are a *taxi* service.

The fact that everything is pre-booked with money up front (no
exceptions) seems a little suspicious.

If they are licensed why don't they say that and if they are not then
there is a strong likelihood that they do not have the proper insurance.
Would you take a chance or let your mother / sister / daughter /
children loose with such an outfit

Finally if the ad above is an example of the attention to detail then
heaven knows what they are really like.

Take a *proper* licensed (black) taxi - you know you are insured and
safe.

--
Mike Hughes
at home in Tarring, West Sussex, England
Old November 16th 08, 07:39 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message of Sat, 15 Nov 2008
21:20:47 in uk.transport.london, Mike Hughes
writes
In message , Vec Est. 2003
writes

London Gatwick Airport Taxi Services

The book on a taxi trip to the airport from Gatwick to Heathrow from

[snip]

There are several indicators that this is not all they would have you
believe.

First of all this appears to be a Private Hire (minicab) service and
not taxis. The way that they present themselves is also illegal as they
are not allowed to suggest that they are a *taxi* service.

Mike,
If you feel rules are breached, I am sure you have contact details for
the Public Carriage Office.

[snip]

Take a *proper* licensed (black) taxi - you know you are insured and
safe.

Strangely, they don't always follow the rules either. e.g. unlawfully
refusing an unattractive fare when plying for hire. Sadly, the PCO seems
to have a policy of warning rather than prosecution for a first offence
which used to happen when the police were in charge of complaints.
There is also the small matter of working wheelchair ramps.

I've never used a Private Hire service. I strongly approve of the
quality of the service offered by London's taxis. I much prefer a black
cab to the green and white saloons used by most Brighton taxis.
--
Walter Briscoe
Old November 16th 08, 08:17 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Walter Briscoe" wrote in message
[...]

I'm not suprised black cabs refuse to pick up fairs especially at night,last
night in Goodge street I witnessed two drunken stoned "slags"trying to flag
down a cab while one of them was actually ****ing in the street when one cab
refused they shouted "****" at him & gave the ****** sign, I cannot think of
a more dangerous & unpleasant way of making a crust then driving a cab I
would rather be a street begger then do that job.

Old November 16th 08, 10:51 AM posted to uk.transport.london
No Name

"Walter Briscoe" wrote in message

I've never used a Private Hire service. I strongly approve of the quality
of the service offered by London's taxis. I much prefer a black cab to the
green and white saloons used by most Brighton taxis.

Some of the drivers of black cabs can leave a great deal to be desired, as
I'm sure that many on this group could tell you.

Old November 16th 08, 10:54 AM posted to uk.transport.london
No Name

"RobWilton" wrote in message

I'm not suprised black cabs refuse to pick up fairs especially at
night,last night in Goodge street I witnessed two drunken stoned
"slags"trying to flag down a cab while one of them was actually ****ing in
the street when one cab refused they shouted "****" at him & gave the
****** sign, I cannot think of a more dangerous & unpleasant way of making
a crust then driving a cab I would rather be a street begger then do that
job.

Many cab drivers tell me that they refuse to pick up groups of young women,
particularly on a Friday or Saturday night, as they can be verbally abusive
and just as physically abusive as men.

Old November 16th 08, 11:00 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 11:51:24 -0000, wrote:

Some of the drivers of black cabs can leave a great deal to be desired, as
I'm sure that many on this group could tell you.

Not so much in London as elsewhere, though.

In Milton Keynes, you will get far better service (and a lower price)
from the private hire companies, particularly early mornings and
during the day when some very nice cars (Mercs etc) are in use. I
used to get a leather-seated new Merc saloon on a Monday morning for
the same price as a normal private hire car. Sometimes even got a
V-class minibus to myself.

Neil

--
Neil Williams
Old November 16th 08, 12:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Walter Briscoe
writes

I've never used a Private Hire service. I strongly approve of the
quality of the service offered by London's taxis. I much prefer a black
cab to the green and white saloons used by most Brighton taxis.

I agree with you which is why I now drive in London rather than Brighton
but I still renew my licence every year just in case I ever need to use
it again - I made that mistake by not renewing my London licence for 20
years and then having to re-do the knowledge!

Old November 16th 08, 12:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , RobWilton
writes
----
I'm not suprised black cabs refuse to pick up fairs especially at
night,last night in Goodge street I witnessed two drunken stoned
"slags"trying to flag down a cab while one of them was actually ****ing
in the street when one cab refused they shouted "****" at him & gave
the ****** sign, I cannot think of a more dangerous & unpleasant way of
making a crust then driving a cab I would rather be a street begger
then do that job.

Goes with the territory but you quickly learn how to size up the
situation. Hard to explain but any cab driver will know what I mean.

It's always a judgement call. Sometimes I can see some 'undesirable'
nearby and wrongly assume that they are with the person flagging the
taxi. In those cases I just drive straight past and I'm sure the flagger
will think I'm just being bloody minded as s/he can't see the whole
picture.

Old November 16th 08, 12:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message ,
writes
"RobWilton" wrote in message

I'm not suprised black cabs refuse to pick up fairs especially at
night,last night in Goodge street I witnessed two drunken stoned
"slags"trying to flag down a cab while one of them was actually ****ing in
the street when one cab refused they shouted "****" at him & gave the
****** sign, I cannot think of a more dangerous & unpleasant way of making
a crust then driving a cab I would rather be a street begger then do that
job.

Many cab drivers tell me that they refuse to pick up groups of young women,
particularly on a Friday or Saturday night, as they can be verbally abusive
and just as physically abusive as men.

Very often *more* abusive and whereas you can give a bit of verbal back
to a group of men it's absolutely impossible with women as they will
immediately complain, even when they are at fault.

Years ago taxi drivers would usually pick up a woman on her own first to
make sue she was taken home safely. Now they would be the last to be
taken, particularly late at night when they are going a longer distance,
tired and drunk - can you imagine the uproar if they fall asleep and you
try to wake them up! At least with a man you can usually wake them by
shaking as a very last resort!